A K702 impressions thread
May 24, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #17 of 116
This thread just made me want to buy an AKG K70x
confused_face.gif
Should I? Ironically I've been on head-fi since 2008, but I haven't even bought anything (being a college student on a tight budget sucks) :frowning2: Maybe these headphones will be my first (along with amps and DAC). It's so painful having to mix on $15 headphones out of a laptop
frown.gif
The claustrophobic sound... the fatigueness... I'm suffering from extreme low-fi. Luckily I have enough money now to buy a used AKG K70x, audio interface, and amp. The only obstacle left is to ask my parents about it.

May 25, 2010 at 1:36 AM Post #18 of 116

Quote:
Cankin said:

listen to your K702 exclusively for few days, go back to 240DF and tell us how it sounds :)

The DF will probably still have better mids tonality, but don't worry, I won't be getting rid of the k702's any time soon.
smily_headphones1.gif
They're immensely enjoyable to listen to with the genres I listen to most.

May 27, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #19 of 116
leJaz - HI

How many hours do you have on your 702's ?  

A lot of folk rave about how these open up and the things they were missing when new had disappeared by 200 hours burn in.

cheers Vincent

May 27, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #20 of 116

Quote:
Just got the 702's and listening to Miles and Coltrane. Yes!!!I These are definitely jazz headphones...at least acoustic jazz. The bass is very realistic...excellent, at least with acoustic. Sorry, if many feel they are bass light, but I'm listening to "Two Bass Hit" and its so much like the real thing it's almost scary. I was a jazz drummer for a few years before switching to guitar, so I've heard a lot of live music...and so far these are the closest to 'live' that I've heard. Treble/upper mids are a bit too much. I don't think anyone would intentionally mix cymbals as forward as I'm hearing on some songs. So far I'm hearing no problem with vocals...no excessive sibilance or 'plastic' sound, but this is only the first short session with them. Overall a big thumbs up.

Hehehe, should I quote this in my signature? 
k701smile.gif

May 27, 2010 at 7:17 PM Post #22 of 116

Quote:

Hehehe, should I quote this in my signature? 
k701smile.gif

Ha ha, yes! I definitely share your feelings about the 702 bass...seems perfectly 'neutral' to me...and great tonality. The DF is very natural sounding too, but the tone is a bit like a slightly desaturated color photo...the 702 has fully saturated color, if you can follow the analogy. The highs are really nice too. As for the mids...I still prefer the 240DF...awesome headphones in their own right..

May 27, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #23 of 116

Quote:
leJaz - HI

How many hours do you have on your 702's ?  

A lot of folk rave about how these open up and the things they were missing when new had disappeared by 200 hours burn in.

cheers Vincent

I wish I knew! I'm the third owner. The second owner only had them briefly, but I don't know how long the 1st owner had them. I might try to look him up and shoot him a PM.

May 27, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #24 of 116

Quote:
Ha ha, yes! I definitely share your feelings about the 702 bass...seems perfectly 'neutral' to me...and great tonality. The DF is very natural sounding too, but the tone is a bit like a slightly desaturated photo...the 702 is fully saturated, if you can follow the analogy. The highs are really nice too. As for the mids...I still prefer the 240DF...awesome headphones in their own right..

Now you've had the chance to experience the magical burn in process of the K 702! The bass and mids will continue to improve, even the highs and the sound stage. The first big chance I noticed was around 80 hours, then at about 150, they got even better. Full potential should be reached at around 400 hours and if you want to eventually recable them, they'll improve exponentially with the burn in and recabling.

Enjoy the process.

May 27, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #25 of 116
What are some other good places to get the 702's recabled to balanced besides moon audio? just curious?

May 28, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #26 of 116

Quote:
This thread just made me want to buy an AKG K70x
confused_face.gif
Should I? 
...The only obstacle left is to ask my parents about it.

You must and it is mandatory/compulsory for every headfier. You should not miss this opportunity. I assume your parents will be happy for you if you buy one. Best of all, let them use the K70x, too. They'll be happier.
biggrin.gif

May 28, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #27 of 116
Lol. My mom was like Ok. My dad was like "What!? $650 for a headphone, amp, and audio interface (A/D converter)!?" lmao. I foresaw this coming. But I finally was able to convince him (apparently he thinks all headphones are the same). He'll agree if I can find a AKG K702 (black is my fav color) for $180 shipped and paypaled. Guess I'll have to wait for a long time to find a deal like that in the FS forum.

May 28, 2010 at 2:59 AM Post #28 of 116

Quote:
 My dad was like "What!? $650 for a headphone, amp, and audio interface (A/D converter)!?" lmao.

Yeah, that was my reaction before I bought K701. After, my wallet was so happy. Imagine, you will be listening for more or less $10,000 worth of speaker system.
biggrin.gif

May 28, 2010 at 3:44 PM Post #29 of 116
I also like akg701s.  I should say that the amp/system that you use with these headphones really makes a different.  I recently switched to a kenwood 600 int. amp to drive these headphones.  well, i think the bass, mids, well, everything sounds really good.  much better than some dedicated headphones amp.  Before i always thought the 701s lack bass, and is not really good for electronic music (i.e.  daft punk, black eyes, Air, hip hop, etc..).  Now i think they are the perfect headphones.   So with cans, choose them according to your amp/dac combo.  anything at the 300-500 USD level should be similar in performance, just different favors/applications. 

May 28, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #30 of 116
I thought they would be a big let down with hip hop like the 240DF but they handle stuff like Kanye West's "I Heard 'Em Say" pretty well. The Equations kill the k701 on "Gold digger", though ...work quite well for loosening fillings too. Maybe that tune will loosen up the 701 drivers a bit
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back