A K702 impressions thread
Jun 10, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #62 of 116
The Portaphile Maxxed drove them surprisingly well.. I remember playing a racing game with this combo, & the bass was jaw dropping with the techno tracks.. The Maxxed is really power hungry though.. Can go through a 9volt or two in 4-6 hrs.. A wallwart is recommended.. This was with the 701..

Jun 14, 2010 at 12:10 PM Post #64 of 116
My K702 just arrived... Now it's time for a re-cable.
dt880smile.png

Jun 14, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #67 of 116
I just got mine but am not thinking about custom recabling yet -- I am concerned about not *having* to recable down the road as I had to last year with my K240DF. Therefore 702 and not 701. And I agree, white or cream will look dirty pretty soon.

Sooner or later the cable will get damaged or short out from wear at the amplifier jack end if it's used a lot.

Jun 18, 2010 at 5:48 AM Post #71 of 116
I've kept the 702s burning round the clock, plugged into my stereo tuner at normal listening level. This is the end of Week One, so we are pushing 200 hours.

Frankly I don't notice a whale of a lot of difference. Hard to tell judging from different musical sources on the radio. I was not at all disappointed in the bass right out of the box. It is sounding impressive now, though, perhaps a bit moreso than initially.

I do need a new headphone amp, parts are on the way. My Presonus hp4 does not have the cajones for it though it is often sold with 70xs by vendors on Ebay. Max level is low-normal listening, turned all the way up.

But there is one irritating flaw. The headband leaves dents in my scalp. I do not have all the myriad thin, natural fibers that young men and all women have growing on their heads to protect the top of the head from the 702's uneven leather band surface. I will have to figure out some kind of replacement or modification. My K240DF and S models were just fine in that regard. Suggestions?

Ah, I see there are threads on this topic -- search on K702 headband.

Jun 18, 2010 at 1:18 PM Post #72 of 116
^Yea there are some threads around here with mods for the headband; I thought about cutting the humps off or putting something in between them at some point.... but I don't really think I'm going to go through with it. 

But yea I'm at 100 hours now and I got some noticeable change from first getting them and what I'm hearing now. Can't wait to hit 200 :)

Jun 18, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #73 of 116

Quote:

I do need a new headphone amp, parts are on the way. My Presonus hp4 does not have the cajones for it though it is often sold with 70xs by vendors on Ebay. Max level is low-normal listening, turned all the way up.

The minimum amp for the K-701/2 will be the Meier Headfive around $180 used. If you're a Mac user, the Apogee Duet will do the job.

Jun 18, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #74 of 116
I'm getting parts for a Sjostrom Audio QRV-07. Per-Anders says it is very high-powered and will drive anything. We shall see.

Jun 19, 2010 at 3:02 PM Post #75 of 116

Quote:
^Yea there are some threads around here with mods for the headband; I thought about cutting the humps off or putting something in between them at some point.... but I don't really think I'm going to go through with it. 

But yea I'm at 100 hours now and I got some noticeable change from first getting them and what I'm hearing now. Can't wait to hit 200 :)

If you plan to keep the headphones, I would do it any day. Less aesthetically pleasing, but hey :) atleast much more comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back