A headphone that can play all kinds of rock (including forms of metal) and techno (DnB/Dubstep)?
Apr 15, 2011 at 6:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

AlbinoDino

New Head-Fier
So I have heard great things about grado for rock and i have heard great things about the ATH - M50 for techno. HOWEVER I have also heard that both headphones cannot play other genres well. I love both genres and cannot go for one without the other.

Which brings me to the question, is there any headphone on the market (Under 300 and without an amp) that can play both genres very well? 

Apr 15, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #3 of 8
There are a few.  The Phiaton MS 400 is a nice all-rounder, and the TMA-1 works well for both if you like a warmer sound.  I really like my HFI-780s for both, though some would find them a bit metallic for rock.

I've heard the M50s are excellent all-rounders before you give up on them.

Apr 16, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #5 of 8
I have heard that the Grados are the Rock kings. My friend has a pair of MS1's and I'd say they are pretty good, but I personally prefer my M50s and I also listen to rock/electronic. A main thing to consider is whether you want and open back headphone (less isolation, open sound) or closed headphone (better isolation). The M50s are closes, and give a good amount of isolation, while the Grados are open, and give little to no isolation. I also personally prefer the pleather pads on the M50s, as the Grados are a bit itchy for me.

Apr 16, 2011 at 9:57 AM Post #7 of 8
Then I'd say go for either the M50s or MS400s. I have heard that the MS400 is really similar to the M50s but with a tad more bass. IMO, the M50s are already bass heavy, so I dunno if you would like that much bass. On the other hand, the MS400s do look pretty dam sexy but cost $50 more than the M50s.

Apr 16, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #8 of 8
The PS500 is more like the M50 with a U-shaped response and slightly recessed mids. The MS400 is closer to the Shure 840 or M-Audio Q40 with the slope towards bass. The MS300 is perhaps the most Grado-like with the most punch and flattest response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back