A good step up from AD700?
Mar 19, 2011 at 5:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Senpai3330

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

I've had my AD700's for about half a year now. They're my only pair of good open headphones. I've dabbled into the closed game with a pair of CAL!'s and FA-003's. I'm pretty satisfied in the closed headphone category right now but I'm looking for an upgrade to my AD700's.

There's really nothing bad to say in particular, but the bass seems almost implied if you understand what I'm saying. I'm looking to preserve the same airy and spacious horizontal soundstage. I'd say I'm looking for almost concert hall-ish sound without the sluggishness.

Open, Clean, fast, existent bass, and generally neutral (I don't mind bright or even a bit of sparkle on the high end).

The only models I have in mind are DT880's which will probably end up being 250ohm rather than 600.
Or the K701/702's.
Another cheaper alternative that has crossed my mind is the DT990 600ohm.

I'm very open to suggestions at this point. Will be driven by E7/E9 combo for now. Thanks!

Mar 19, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #2 of 10
I've heard the AD700 described as the poor mans K701.   I don't think you'd be happy with the AKG.

I think you're probably on the right track with the DT880.  It's reported to have great low end as far as open cans go although that's second hand as I've personally not heard them. I need to do something about that :p

Have you thought about a Sennheiser HD600 or HD650?  The HD650s made since 2008 are said to have much less roll off on the high end but still warmer than the HD600 which is an extremely balanced phone.  Neither will give you the illusion of space like the AKG though, and really to get real three dimensional sound you need to be using a better than average source, which means DAC if you are listening to digital audio.  A good amp will not hinder that 3D presentation but I'm one of those that thinks that amps don't really add to it. 

You take a high-quality (not necessarily high-priced) DAC and two amps.  Someone comparing the two amps may say "Oh amp A had much better imaging and placement than amp B".  Personally I think that amp B was simply messing up the imaging of the DAC more than amp A.

I guess you can tell I'm a big "source guy".  In all honesty your AD700 are likely capable of quite a bit more than many folks realize it's just that you don't see many people plugging them into very high quality electronics.  Sure your cans will give your rig its voice but your source component will determine the quality of the music you hear.  Lots of head-fiers have discovered that when they obtain high-quality sources and amps and revisit less expensive headphones that they are capable of really excellent sound.  But hey, if you dropped a couple of grand on a DAC and amp are you really going to use Portapros??

Mar 19, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #4 of 10
I own the AD700 also and I just got the DT-880 32 ohm and it's definitely a step up, but the soundstage is much smaller (but what isn't?). Level of detail seems about the same or maybe slightly higher on the DT-880. I haven't compared them side by side yet and don't plan on it. With a little luck you can get a like new pair for $200. I got mine two days ago from Amazon Warehouse deals. It was listed as like new and is 100% Mint luckily.

I also loved the AD2000 when I had it, but they're hard to find and are expensive. They're not worth buying new unless you get a good deal. The AD700 is more comfortable, but has less clamp.

I liked the K702 years ago when I had it, but after trying dozens of other headphones I've found they were not as good as I remembered. They are quite good, but it all comes down to preferences. It's huge soundstage and slightly distant sounding mids (not recessed!) ruined it for me. I don't find it's soundstage accurate.

Not a fan of the DT-990 at all. I don't agree with people that say it's mids are not slightly recessed. The DT-990 250 ohm version I had felt it had it cave like mids and they just sounded strange. The best thing to do is just try them out anyway. What's funny is that I had the 32 ohm version 4-5 years old and always loved them?! I compared the Denon D2000 to my DT-990 250 I had at the same time and felt the D2000 mids were less recessed which is a shocker. Both very well amped.

Strangely enough I may find the K702 more fun to listen to than the DT-880, but I haven't compared them side by side.

If you love the sound of the AD700, don't get the HD-650 or HD-600! To me, they're total opposites.

BTW the DT-880 may be too similar to the AD700. If you want something more fun to listen to, then maybe I'd check something else out. The DT-880 does have far more bass than the AD700 though and more forward mids. AD700 have a small dip in the mids, but it didn't bother me at all.

Mar 20, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #8 of 10
It's not really a linear upgrade that I'm after. I'm looking for something similar that doesn't necessarily have to build upon the exact same traits but offers marked improvements overall.

I guess a part of it is also pursuing product diversification and trying a few other companies. I'm really leaning toward the DT880 600 ohm now which will probably mark a stop in my audio related spending for a while.

Mar 20, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #9 of 10

I'd suggest the DT-880 32 ohm if you can't find the 600 ohm version for a good price.
Amazon has the 32 ohm version as "like new" for $205 right now. Shipped right from their warehouse.

I just bought one for $197 from "Amazon Warehouse Deals" and it was 100% mint. $200 is a steal for that headphone.
I imagine many times people just order them, listen to them for a minute and then return them.

Quote:
It's not really a linear upgrade that I'm after. I'm looking for something similar that doesn't necessarily have to build upon the exact same traits but offers marked improvements overall.

I guess a part of it is also pursuing product diversification and trying a few other companies. I'm really leaning toward the DT880 600 ohm now which will probably mark a stop in my audio related spending for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back