A Couple of Things
Sep 26, 2011 at 11:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

NinjaSquirt

500+ Head-Fier
Firstly,

I recently purchased the Beyer DT-880 (600 ohm) and love them for what they do best, analytical and neutral sound, but would like a pair of complementary headphones that are just fun to listen to.

I've auditioned the Grado 325i and read various reviews. The Grado sound is definitely the fun listening experience I'm looking for BUT my wallet is still recovering from the last hit and I simply cannot afford the 325i. Luckily, I know Grado still offers their house sound for a lower price range so I guess my question is, what's the most price-SQ efficient model of Grado headphones?

I have read a few thread and charts (I know they aren't everything), that say basically anything from the SR80 to the 325i have the same sound signature but I really need owner testimony on the SR80 or SR60 which I can afford.

Secondly,  and this is only for future reference:

Is there a pair of headphones that offers the same level of forward sound and detail of the Beyer DT-880s but with more boom or rather, punch in the bass? I've been looking at the AKG K702s and have read that they have a bigger soundstage but on the other hand have read a couple of odd reviews from very experienced forum members that were not that great. Can anyone give me impressions (I can't get access to these at local audio stores)? Thanks in advance.

Sep 26, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #2 of 9
The DT990 and the AKG Q701's will have a bit more bass.  I like the DT990 because they are a really fun phone with a wide soundstage, slightly emphasized bass, and a peak in the treble to keep everything in balance.

Why not just return the DT880's and make the leap to the DT990?  You will not be let down.

Sep 26, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #3 of 9

Quote:
what's the most price-SQ efficient model of Grado headphones?

Unmodded, the SR-225i are in that sweet spot for me. If you are willing to spend time and effort with them, it seems the SR-80i offer a lot of possibilities to mod and bring the sound up into the higher tiers for less money. 

Sep 26, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #4 of 9
I've auditioned the DT-990 and I thought they were great but they really weren't my cup of tea. It just can't touch the the analytical sound of the DT-880 which is why I picked it over the DT-990 in the first place. And thank you for the Q701 suggestion. I'm often put off by artist endorsed headphones, I assume these are the exception to the rule?

Sep 27, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #5 of 9
I liked them over the K701 because they have just a tad more bass, but remain really up-front and balanced.  They are not any more expensive and perform just as well as the K701.

I would not say just an exception to the rule because I just listen to headphones and judge regardless of endorsements.  Perhaps I would trust a headphone endorsed by an artist who has been in the business of making music for over 50 years, but it had nothing to do with why I tried them.  I had listened to the K701 and liked them, but wanted just a bit more bass.

Sep 27, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #6 of 9
I own both the SR80i and 325i. Yes, they share the same signature, if you use them un-amped
then the difference is slight, advantage to the 325i that provides a bit more body to the sound.

Amped, the 325i runs away with more bass depth, resolution, detail and soundstage.
If you needed a percentage difference (what ever that means) I'd say 20% improvement
all round. Better build quality too. The cups themselves are indestructable.

SR80i is the best all round can I've heard up to $200USD. No question.

Sep 27, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #7 of 9
For fun you want a pair of HD-650s. They'll make a great combination with your Valhalla and definitely offer a more different flavor than the Q701.

Sep 27, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #8 of 9
The HD-650 is everything but up-front.

Quote:
For fun you want a pair of HD-650s. They'll make a great combination with your Valhalla and definitely offer a more different flavor than the Q701.

Sep 27, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:

They are on my list of headphones to own but they're not in the budget right now. And + I kind of have my mind set on the Grado's sound which I really liked.

Quote:
I own both the SR80i and 325i. Yes, they share the same signature, if you use them un-amped
then the difference is slight, advantage to the 325i that provides a bit more body to the sound.

Amped, the 325i runs away with more bass depth, resolution, detail and soundstage.
If you needed a percentage difference (what ever that means) I'd say 20% improvement
all round. Better build quality too. The cups themselves are indestructable.

SR80i is the best all round can I've heard up to $200USD. No question.

Thank you for your input, given the price of the 325is, I think I will definitely go for the SR80s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back