$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Feb 22, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #1,291 of 6,549

Oh, it's definitely good. Absolutely.

But it ain't '$2400+' good.

Remember, when  people have shelled-out over-the-odds prices, they will like to convince everyone (and most of all themselves) that it was worth every penny
wink.gif

Most people who compared it with 901 said it is more or less on par or sometimes not as good sq wise. Some prefer it but only slightly. So no game changer here IMO.

And IMO, the other AK models where nothing to write about...but I often get yelled at for saying that.

To be honest i don't really want it to be that good since i think it is an absurd price. If the Calyx M is as good or hopefully even better i will be happy. I want to buy the best sounding single chassis player for use with IEMs. If it turned out the AK240 was the best i would probably buy it. I am not rushing in based on the impressions i have read so far. C'mon Calyx.... be the best. 

Feb 22, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #1,292 of 6,549
Also, i am hoping we will start hearing reports on the Calyx M SQ from the guys in Korea who are getting a sneak peak at it this weekend.

Feb 23, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #1,293 of 6,549
I share Mython's worry on that volume slider. It is sticking too much out of the chassis, I would be afraid when I put that thing in my jeans front pocket, the sound will change accidentally (no, I am not wearing hipster-skinny-tight fit jeans).

As for the control buttons, they seem okay, but they can be more proud actually (like ZX1). (Edit: Thanks to Mython for correcting my mistake)

All and all, some for good, some for bad, they listened to us and changed many things in this player. I want to wait and see before I decide.

To be honest, in case of a nice pre order discount, I might just go and buy blindly. Otherwise I will wait and see for trusty people's reviews.

@Mim, I know when you say you don't like previous AK models people shout at you, but there are other people like me too, believing in your judgement and trusting you, so please, keep on saying whatever you hear with those precious gears you have
happy_face1.gif

Feb 23, 2014 at 4:50 AM Post #1,294 of 6,549
Raised buttons make it easier to find and operate when hidden in one's pocket. As far as the magnetic based volume slider, it all depends how easy it slides. It's all about accessibility and operations during transport. A player sitting flat on a table is not the same than one constricted in a coat or pants pocket. Size wise it might be challenging to carry around, it's bigger than an iPhone which for me is at the limit of what I want to put in my pants pocket. I guess we'll see.

Feb 23, 2014 at 5:56 AM Post #1,295 of 6,549
Calyx-M  +  Cavalli Portable AMP  might be the "ultimate DAP" ?    

Same form factor, booth SE but high end ( " the analog section of the Cavalli consists of two custom designed discrete amplifiers. NO CHIPS. This is why early listeners thought the amp section sounded so good.")...  and still the combo should cost less than an AK240.

Hope the Cavalli Amp reach the market and that the HO of the Calyx is "clean" enough to be used as LO

Feb 23, 2014 at 6:31 AM Post #1,296 of 6,549

They have moved to an oval slider which looks good - more substantial than the circle which I thought might rotate on its magnetic connection.

I see no issues with the flush buttons (not recessed that my eyes can see). They wont be accidentally pushed and with three in a row, I don't see any difficulty knowing which is which.

As for the volume slider, much discussed already, I say wait and see. It might just be perfect.

From what I see, I like the controls. Lone voice in the woods here.

your not too alone - i agree - lets just wait and see, the ergonomics may just be perfect

Feb 23, 2014 at 6:46 AM Post #1,297 of 6,549
hahaha... reminds me of HeadFier talk.... let this help your waiting time:

Feb 23, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #1,298 of 6,549
Calyx-M  +  Cavalli Portable AMP  might be the "ultimate DAP" ?    

Same form factor, booth SE but high end ( " the analog section of the Cavalli consists of two custom designed discrete amplifiers. NO CHIPS. This is why early listeners thought the amp section sounded so good.")...  and still the combo should cost less than an AK240.

Hope the Cavalli Amp reach the market and that the HO of the Calyx is a real clean LO 

I have not read anything that would let you bypass the "M" internal headphone amp, did I miss it?

Feb 23, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #1,299 of 6,549
I have not read anything that would let you bypass the "M" internal headphone amp, did I miss it?

indeed, there is no "real" line out.  This is why we all expect it's Headphone out to be "clean" enough to be usable as a line-Out.

Feb 23, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #1,300 of 6,549
I still think those buttons should have been raised, not a deal breaker but just something that would make it easier.

Won't execute the iPhone 5 missing play/rev/fwd buttons (I guess it's ok because it's a phone) but at least they got the form factor right.

Feb 23, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #1,301 of 6,549
  I still think those buttons should have been raised, not a deal breaker but just something that would make it easier.

Won't execute the iPhone 5 missing play/rev/fwd buttons (I guess it's ok because it's a phone) but at least they got the form factor right.

Yeah, Calyx basically had the buttons OK in the previous release candidate:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/687944/999-calyx-m-with-dxd-dsd-64gb-sd-sd-storage/1200#post_10281313

Why the hell they decided to make such silly final decisions to make it both harder and more dangerous to use, now, is beyond me.

Feb 23, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #1,302 of 6,549
Yeah, Calyx basically had the buttons OK in the previous release candidate:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/687944/999-calyx-m-with-dxd-dsd-64gb-sd-sd-storage/1200#post_10281313

Why the hell they decided to make such silly final decisions to make it both harder and more dangerous to use, now, is beyond me.

Beats me, the only thing I am thinking about is usability, I don't think they go around on public transports testing their gear. If they had the design would have been very different.

Calyx had the buttons just fine in the prior release with the squared buttons and only had to figure out a way to make the volume slider more immune to accidental high volume spikes then could have packed their bag and say we are done. Makes me wonder who makes the UI decision at their shop with so many changes in such short period of time.

Feb 24, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #1,304 of 6,549
Nice! Any idea how much the price will be? Lol!
Money no object, the capacity will be 64 (int) + 256 (SD) + 128 (mSD), but for me I'll think I'll stick to 64 + 128 + 64

Users who are viewing this thread

Back