$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Feb 24, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #1,321 of 6,549

Thank you very much for making the effort to post your experience... It sounds like Calyx have nailed it. 

It is a pity you haven't heard the AK240 to compare it with. I wonder if any other participants made comment comparing the two players. 

Also, i wonder if the CEO wasn't referring to the AK240 when he said best sounding DAP under $2000 since to my knowledge the AK240 s the only one over that price.
Was that a concession that th AK240 may sound better ?  I know you can't answer that, Just rhetorical musing.

Thank you for a kind replying. Many of the participants were from the AK community in Korea. (I am not :) ) I heard some of them said AK240 is better, but the other one said it would be comparable... AK240 is released recently and high price as you know, not so many Koreans have the experience about it. Probably, price tags will tell. I guess that AK240 would be better, I guess. The CEO might think about the AK240. Oh, some of this would help. The participants were talking about it. Calyx M might be better than AK120 in a part. But I guess that it depends on the individuals.
Let's see after Calyx Ms were produced. :- )

Feb 24, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #1,324 of 6,549
  Thanks for the impressions but a couple of notes. The 9018k2m is not just a stereo version of the standard 9018 but a different DAC that is keeping the 9018 name to simply designate it as top of the low current draw and small size range. Closer to a 9012 with bit less DNR. Nothing wrong with that other than the confusion it may cause. It's topology is still similar as are all the better Sabre DACs It's a great choice for this purpose.

I also didn't understand this. "Calyx M as USB DAC will provide even better than 24/192. I guarantee this." Could be a language thing but I doubt it will offers more than 24/192 via usb, nor should it need to.

Thank you very much for the correction~ It will help others to understand it right.

Second one, it has been derived from my shortage of English. " " part is said from the CEO from my question. he meant that Calyx M as DAC from PC will perform better than '24/192 DAC'.
My question was, "How about the performance of Calyx M as DAC linked to PC?" 

Feb 24, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #1,325 of 6,549
So Calyx M as usb dac will perform better than the Calyx model 24/192 desktop DAC http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/calyx3/1.html

Feb 24, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #1,326 of 6,549
[/quote]

I would be sorely disappointed i the Calyx firmware was full of bugs. I expect it to be in a league above the likes of iBasso and Fiio and i feel very confident it will be.
[/quote]

yeah lets hope so and be on a positive note......And it should be a trouble-free DAP at its price tag w/o any technical hiccups unlike those 2 brands which had post launch and stabilzed now,but still its ok for their price offerings <$400 give or take and users are happy for what it is intended to,The Sound.-purpose served.

Feb 24, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #1,327 of 6,549
I think the firmware will be OK.

The sensitivity of the touchscreen might not be TOTL, judging by the video that was posted on Calyx's facebook page, some weeks ago, but you can't always have perfect everything on a device.

Overall, the Calyx looks like one Korean DAP that has legitimately earned it's pricetag.

Feb 24, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #1,328 of 6,549
I will be surprise if it launch without any bugs. Remember, this is their first DAP. While it would be great if everything is perfect from the get go, expectations need to be realistic. As long as there is no showstopper, they can release it. But don't pull a DX50 release stunt please :)

Feb 24, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #1,329 of 6,549
Thank you very much for the input and the time you have spent for head-fiers here. So, to sum up from you and other AK users in Korea, SQ wise, M wins over ZX1 if one favors analog sounds, partially over Ak120, inferior or comparable to 240. M is an analog-sounding dap with musicality and naturality. I haven't had any experience with hi-end speakers and dont know the characteristics of analog sounds. Anyways I look forward to it!

Feb 24, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #1,330 of 6,549
[/IMG][/IMG]

Feb 24, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #1,333 of 6,549
Thank you very much for the input and the time you have spent for head-fiers here. So, to sum up from you and other AK users in Korea, SQ wise, M wins over ZX1 if one favors analog sounds, partially over Ak120, inferior or comparable to 240. M is an analog-sounding dap with musicality and naturality. I haven't had any experience with hi-end speakers and dont know the characteristics of analog sounds. Anyways I look forward to it!

I HOPE YOU WOULD BE SATISFIED WITH YOUR CHOICE WHATEVER IT COULD BE. :- )

Feb 24, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #1,334 of 6,549
Thank you very much for the correction~ It will help others to understand it right.

Second one, it has been derived from my shortage of English. " " part is said from the CEO from my question. he meant that Calyx M as DAC from PC will perform better than '24/192 DAC'.
My question was, "How about the performance of Calyx M as DAC linked to PC?" 

I GOT AN ANSWER FROM CALYX THAT ES9018K2M
IS THE MOBILE VER. OF ES9018. ES9012 was also tested and ES9018 were comparable but ES9018 is a little better than es9012.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back