$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Feb 22, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #1,276 of 6,549
  do you mean you did not like the AK240's SQ ? 

No, I do like the AK240 SQ, although it sounded a little bright for my taste (no EQ active, BTW)

I was listening with LCD3s and MG6 Pros.

Nice spacious, and quite solid, sound, but it didn't convince me it was worth $2400+.       SQ-wise, I don't feel it's a game-changer.

Good, but not a game-changer.

I fully expect the Calyx-M to at least equal the AK240 SQ, but we'll just have to wait and see. Also, bear in mind that the Calyx team will have an AK240 to listen to, and they know they're competing with it, so they'll obviously have tuned the Calyx-M to compete well with it.

Feb 22, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #1,278 of 6,549

No, I do like the AK240 SQ, although it sounded a little bright for my taste (no EQ active, BTW)

I was listening with LCD3s and MG6 Pros.

Nice spacious, and quite solid, sound, but it didn't convince me it was worth $2400+.       SQ-wise, I don't feel it's a game-changer.

Good, but not a game-changer.

I fully expect the Calyx-M to at least equal the AK240 SQ, but we'll just have to wait and see. Also, bear in mind that the Calyx team will have an AK240 to listen to, and they know they're competing with it, so they'll obviously have tuned the Calyx-M to compete well with it.

Btw its 3200 at moon-audio... lol

Feb 22, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #1,279 of 6,549
  Btw its 3200 at moon-audio... lol

Yeah, isn't the pricing a not-funny joke?
rolleyes.gif

notice the '+' in my earlier price quote
wink_face.gif

Feb 22, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #1,282 of 6,549
Oh, great.... I was already concerned about the original flush volume slider, but now it's proud of the chassis and they've decided to make the control buttons flush - that's crazy! The control buttons will now be difficult to feel correctly in your pocket, and the volume control is the most risky part of the design, already, in terms of user-safety, so why make it easier to accidentally move than any of the other controls?

I seriously think someone on the Calyx design team has a volume-slider fetish.

Bad design, guys.

This is a pocket device, not a desktop device.

The control buttons should be slightly proud of the chassis, for easy touch-identification, and that proud volume slider is going to put people's hearing and CIEMs at risk.

Feb 22, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #1,283 of 6,549
  Oh, great.... I was already concerned about the original flush volume slider, but now it's proud of the chassis, but now they've decided to make the control buttons inset (not proud of the chassis) but the volume control IS proud of the chassis - that's crazy! The volume control is the most risky part of the design, already, in terms of user-safety, so why make it easier to accidentally move than any of the other controls?

I seriously think someone on the Calyx design team has a volume-slider fetish.

Bad design, guys.  This is a pocket device, not a desktop device.

completely agree, they need to fix that NOW

Feb 22, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #1,284 of 6,549
The volume slider (which I still strongly feel should not be a slider, because it is too easy to accidentally adjust) could, if it is to remain a slider, be made flush again with the chassis, but have a dimple in it, like on the dial of this rotary jog shuttle (I don't mean make it rotary):

That way, it remains easy to grip with a thumb, when desired, but without being unnecessarily proud.

Feb 22, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #1,286 of 6,549
  Having heard the AK240 yesterday, I don't anticipate that the Calyx-M will have any problem at least matching its SQ.

The guys on the AK240 thread reckon it's SQ is fantastic.. A big step up from the other AK models. You seem underwhelmed. 

Feb 22, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #1,287 of 6,549

The guys on the AK240 thread reckon it's SQ is fantastic.. A big step up from the other AK models. You seem underwhelmed. 

Oh, it's definitely good. Absolutely.

But it ain't '$2400+' good.

Remember, when  people have shelled-out over-the-odds prices, they will like to convince everyone (and most of all themselves) that it was worth every penny
wink.gif

Feb 22, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #1,288 of 6,549

Yeah, isn't the pricing a not-funny joke?
rolleyes.gif

notice the '+' in my earlier price quote
wink_face.gif

Not funny indeed, at 3K I can get the Calyx M, an Audeze LCD-X, one 128GB SD card and one 64GB micro SD and still have a spare change which can buy hi res audio.

Now that is totally fun. 

Feb 22, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #1,289 of 6,549

They have moved to an oval slider which looks good - more substantial than the circle which I thought might rotate on its magnetic connection.

I see no issues with the flush buttons (not recessed that my eyes can see). They wont be accidentally pushed and with three in a row, I don't see any difficulty knowing which is which.

As for the volume slider, much discussed already, I say wait and see. It might just be perfect.

From what I see, I like the controls. Lone voice in the woods here.

Feb 22, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #1,290 of 6,549
Most people who compared it with 901 said it is more or less on par or sometimes not as good sq wise. Some prefer it but only slightly. So no game changer here IMO.

And IMO, the other AK models where nothing to write about...but I often get yelled at for saying that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back