$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Jul 13, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #6,496 of 6,549
I just bought a used Calyx M after reading so much about it on the Best DAP thread! :D
Its on its way from France to Scotland at the moment! Excited to hear what all the hype is.

Also been in touch with Steve from N***P too and may do the upgrade further down the line!
First, welcome in the Calyx M club and congrats on this important purchase. Having taken contact with Steve is the second best good idea of yours. Your Calyx M will come back as new and badass sounding as it gets. Please share your impressions with us in due time.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #6,497 of 6,549
First, welcome in the Calyx M club and congrats on this important purchase. Having taken contact with Steve is the second best good idea of yours. Your Calyx M will come back as new and badass sounding as it gets. Please share your impressions with us in due time.
Hello. I'm curious about this Steve guy. Do you happen to have his contact information because I also want to send my Calyx M for an upgrade?

Jul 14, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #6,498 of 6,549
Hello. I'm curious about this Steve guy. Do you happen to have his contact information because I also want to send my Calyx M for an upgrade
Hello. I'm curious about this Steve guy. Do you happen to have his contact information because I also want to send my Calyx M for an upgrade?
Oh don't mind me because I've found him lol 😅

Jul 14, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #6,499 of 6,549
Hello. I'm curious about this Steve guy. Do you happen to have his contact information because I also want to send my Calyx M for an upgrade

Oh don't mind me because I've found him lol 😅
I can vouch for Steve’s work, I sent him two DAP for some minor fix with loose contact/solder and he managed to fixed them in one day. Very communicative and reasonable priced.

He received the package on Tuesday and I just them back today (friday!) can’t recommend him enough.

Jul 14, 2023 at 4:54 PM Post #6,500 of 6,549
Steve is an Audio Avenger

Jul 14, 2023 at 7:19 PM Post #6,501 of 6,549
I can vouch for Steve’s work, I sent him two DAP for some minor fix with loose contact/solder and he managed to fixed them in one day. Very communicative and reasonable priced.

He received the package on Tuesday and I just them back today (friday!) can’t recommend him enough.
You're 100% absolutely right! I've just received a message from him. A very nice guy with great prices for my Calyx M mod and Lotoo Paw Gold for my volume nob repair. I'm sooo thankful to have found you guys on here because if I hadn't.... My Lotoo Paw Gold would have been sitting on my dresser for the 3rd year. IT HAS BEEN 2 PAINFUL YEARS WITHOUT IT DO TO THE VOLUME NOT TURNING UP OR DOWN!!!😵‍💫🥴😵 Well it seems like I will finally be relieved from my long pain and suffering soon. 😁🎵🎶🎧

Jul 15, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #6,502 of 6,549
Never listened to the N8 but had the 1A for a few years and the Calyx M is a more dynamic listen where the 1A was a bit more laid back in its presentation. Both are enjoyable to listen to, but the 2 are sonically different.
Thanks! The Calyx M (M) had arrived and I had played with it a bit last night and compare it the 1A with the IEMs and headphones I have. Still getting used to the sound.

It’s as everyone here said, slow UI and battery life sucks (unpredictable too, goes from 19 to 2% between switch on/off).

The M definitely has the TOTL sound quality to it, Initial impression is that it is rawer and dynamic and also revealing of recording quality. It’s tuning can feel exciting, musical is the right word.

Vocal can be in the face with some pairings. The sound is a bit coloured, so it’s all down to the pairing.

WM1A with the custom firmware (Mr Walkman, 1Z sound, J3, Direct source) is not too far behind M in terms of excitement and dynamic, 1A has wider stage and better technicality, but M feels a bit deeper and perhaps more fun.

These are all brief impressions, overall positive.

Pairing with VE Phonix, my newest addition 🥰, M push vocal bit more forward, sometimes too much but instrumental or ambient music sounds great. Switching cable to Effects Audio Cleopatra 1 helps to tame the vocal a bit.

With U12T with a bit more references tuning, M sounds great but it lacks a bit of the excitement from Phonix.

With Ananda, the wide sound stage doesn’t feel real, same with Denon D7000.

Kennerton GH40 pairs well, medium sound stage but sounds damn exciting.

The two best pairings:
Final Audio D8000, big stage, great dynamic, a bit more warm but not too much.

STAX SR001, an old STAX actually works amazingly well, big sound stage, detailed sound, and with the excitement coming from M it synergies well!

Questions:
-My unit has the Fidelzier installed, however I don’t know which version is it as I believe the version affect the sound signature? Is there a way to revert it to stock or upgrade the fidelzier the firmware?

-There is no line out right? I max the volume and doubled amped it with Jaben Govibe Tube amp and it sounds great 😂
May try the Bakoon amp next time.

Will see if I can find time to compare to Cayin N8, my top DAP at the moment…

Jul 15, 2023 at 5:43 PM Post #6,503 of 6,549
Hi, since the firmware is quite old I don't think there is an update to Fidelizer. Yes, you can revert the firmware if you don't like the sound of your current firmware. You can also check because there are three gains. There is no line out

Jul 16, 2023 at 1:06 AM Post #6,504 of 6,549
Does anybody know if it's possible to revert back to firmware 1.01 from 1.02? For some reason I can't revert back to it but can revert to fidelizer advance 1.01 instead which to me is very strange. I really wanted to hear of what makes firmware 1.01 sound so special that I keep hearing people mentioning from time to time. My calyx m serial number starts with "AH". I'm not sure if that matters or not.

Jul 16, 2023 at 10:40 AM Post #6,505 of 6,549
Thanks! The Calyx M (M) had arrived and I had played with it a bit last night and compare it the 1A with the IEMs and headphones I have. Still getting used to the sound.

It’s as everyone here said, slow UI and battery life sucks (unpredictable too, goes from 19 to 2% between switch on/off).

The M definitely has the TOTL sound quality to it, Initial impression is that it is rawer and dynamic and also revealing of recording quality. It’s tuning can feel exciting, musical is the right word.

Vocal can be in the face with some pairings. The sound is a bit coloured, so it’s all down to the pairing.

WM1A with the custom firmware (Mr Walkman, 1Z sound, J3, Direct source) is not too far behind M in terms of excitement and dynamic, 1A has wider stage and better technicality, but M feels a bit deeper and perhaps more fun.

These are all brief impressions, overall positive.

Pairing with VE Phonix, my newest addition 🥰, M push vocal bit more forward, sometimes too much but instrumental or ambient music sounds great. Switching cable to Effects Audio Cleopatra 1 helps to tame the vocal a bit.

With U12T with a bit more references tuning, M sounds great but it lacks a bit of the excitement from Phonix.

With Ananda, the wide sound stage doesn’t feel real, same with Denon D7000.

Kennerton GH40 pairs well, medium sound stage but sounds damn exciting.

The two best pairings:
Final Audio D8000, big stage, great dynamic, a bit more warm but not too much.

STAX SR001, an old STAX actually works amazingly well, big sound stage, detailed sound, and with the excitement coming from M it synergies well!

Questions:
-My unit has the Fidelzier installed, however I don’t know which version is it as I believe the version affect the sound signature? Is there a way to revert it to stock or upgrade the fidelzier the firmware?

-There is no line out right? I max the volume and doubled amped it with Jaben Govibe Tube amp and it sounds great 😂
May try the Bakoon amp next time.

Will see if I can find time to compare to Cayin N8, my top DAP at the moment…
If you haven’t heard the M with the original Calyx firmware, you haven’t heard the M!

So I would urge you to install the original one (you can always install again the Fidelizer … but it’s highly probable you won‘t) :wink:

I have had the „best“ Fidelizer Firmware (pure sound). Not my cup of tee 😜

Jul 16, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #6,506 of 6,549
If you haven’t heard the M with the original Calyx firmware, you haven’t heard the M!

So I would urge you to install the original one (you can always install again the Fidelizer … but it’s highly probable you won‘t) :wink:

I have had the „best“ Fidelizer Firmware (pure sound). Not my cup of tee 😜
Wow noplsestar it has been exactly a year since I've been trying to install that firmware that you kindly sent to me! It's good to hear you're still ok my musical brother! I really wanted to have a good listen to 1.01 but I still can't install it. It installs like halfway, but then it stops with the message "installation aborted". I can install other firmwares with ease without a problem rather It's the free fidelizer 1.01, paid fidelizer advance 1.01, and original firmware 1.02. The original firmware 1.01 I received from you doesn't work. Since you said that you can switch firmware back and forth to the official 1.01... I'm beginning to narrow it down of why it doesn't work for me. 1: could be because I have a first batch Calyx m that has serial #AH0833 and yours might be the AE model or 2: that the firmware you sent me could be missing something that is causing me to get the installation aborted message. 3: Is that you can't revert back to it from 1.02 but can instead go back to fidelizer since it's a complete different firmware and not official. I can't even download the official firmware from http://www.calyx.kr/xe/notice/32998 do to me having to wait for access to get it from google drive which has been over a year now. I think I'm screwed. 🤔 😮‍💨

Jul 16, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #6,507 of 6,549
Ok so I've did a little backtracking on this post and stumble across some people saying that it is possible to switch firmwares from official to fidelizer which is true but have yet to come across seeing anyone say that it's possible to revert back to 1.01 from 1.02. Someone did say that 1.02 is the same as 1.01 even though 1.02 sounds extremely balanced and flat which doesn't sound like of what folks on here say that it sounds more mid forward. Oh well I guess I will never know the difference to compare. 😂

Jul 17, 2023 at 7:57 PM Post #6,510 of 6,549
Will try to flash it back to the 1.01 firmware, thanks for all the info!

Been using it with iPhone as USB DAC and love the combination.

FAD D8000 with Calyx M is one of the most energetic pairing I had heard on High Impedance.

It opens up the soundstage and the lower frequencies even more and make it more exciting tha with my main desktop amp Mass Kobo 394ii . Just don’t want to take the headphone now 😄🤪

Play by Alewya
Lay Low by Tiesto
Thumbsucker by Jenny Hval
Nowhere, Now Here (Live with Platinum Orchestra) by Mono

Users who are viewing this thread

Back