9/13/14 Lawrence, Kansas Headfi meeting Impression.
Sep 21, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #77 of 95
I had a great time meeting all the folks that came down, I'm glad we had a great turn out! We definitely had more gear than we had time for but I got to listen to some gems that have been always in the back of my mind.

LCD2/3 - These were no disappointment to say the least. The new fazor LCD2's were wonderful: lush, smooth, intimate and polite. The LCD3's shared a lot of the same qualities while having a bit more treble on the top end for extra crisp snares and high-hats. In the end though, I think the LCD2's may have fit my preferences more, though they don't compare to the aggression and space of the HE-4 which is what I long for.

TH900 - The Fostex line has always intrigued me. The T50RP is nothing to overlook but the TH900 was phenomenal in so many ways: craftsmanship, comfort, and most of all, sound. These had more presence/body than my old D2000's but they shared very similar sound sigs. The TH900 was one of my favorites at the meet because nothing can compete in its dark yet refined ballpark... it handles the bass quantity with perfect quality, and I didn't find the mids to suffer as a result.

HE-400i - I was most excited to listen to these since they were in and out of my online shopping cart several times last week :xf_eek: . At first listen, I focused on the characteristics of the HE-4 that I find bothersome and I immediately concluded that the HE-400i did it better (especially the treble). After talking with Scotchy some more, I started listening to some other tracks and listening to them as a whole. The upper mid energy of the HE-4, especially in regards to electric guitars, is not shared with the HE-400i. As a result, they are also not as open/spacious sounding. I won't say the HE-400i is a compromise of several other HFM offerings but I can see where most of its influence comes from the HE-400 and HE-500. This is still a great headphone for the price, no doubt, but I don't know if it would get more head time over the HE-4.

HD800 - This was the second most anticipated headphone for me and it didn't disappoint. I was excited to find that Maxlva and I shared a lot of music interests, allowing me to dive straight into the HD800's. The amount of space and finesse was something that was not shared by any other headphone. While they are nowhere near as warm as even the HD600, these do not lack bass in the way I was imagining. Most importantly for me, even Maxvla's unmodded pair did not seem to fatigue me at all in terms of treble. Headphones like the HE-4, TH900, and D2000 all have a pretty relentless 8-10kHz treble region that I find quite fatiguing but I didn't experience this at all with the HD800. As I drove home last night I found myself considering the HD800's more than any other cans for my next purchase... wallet = :frowning2:

MA900 - Also a headphone that has intrigued me over the last year. These are great! Holy cow! I can see why Maxlva's got these side-by-side with the HD800's; they are two great headphones that excel in similar areas (space and staging) but perform very differently (sound sigs). The MA900 was possibly warmer than an HD600 and very punchy. I was thoroughly impressed with how they performed while having the open back, can't say I understand it. I guess it's those 70mm drivers?

Aaaaanyway, those were the cans that stood out the most to me. I wish I'll have more time in the future to simply try different equipment instead of just headphones but, heck, I had a great time. I hope Scotchy and I could convince a few of you to grab a pair of HE-4's :)veryevil: ), they still remain my planar of choice.

For those of you who got a chance to listen to the Ghettofabulous-Grado's, here is the thread that I followed: http://www.head-fi.org/t/323271/alessandro-ms1000-and-ms-ultimate-diy-modding-56k-warningThe hardest part is getting the distancers, everything else is quite easy. You can also buy some GS1000 knock-off pads for less than half the price of the normal set, search for them on Amazon (mine had the real GS1000 pads but I have a pair of both). Here is a post describing the mods done to my personal pair, along with some measurements.

:beerchug:  

You certainly did... Totally missed it. Cheers :beerchug:

Sep 21, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #78 of 95
  Just got in and built one of my prototypes last night....I was hoping the PCBs would be in so that I could bring them to the meet up but they unfortunately were not.  This is a prototype of my ultra-portable headphone amp, has a USB rechargeable Lithium Ion battery and sounds fantastic for its small size, battery lasts 6-8 hours on a charge as well.  I just have the rough PCB right now and am working on a housing at the moment

I wish I would have had a chance to listen to some of these, it looks like you guys are doing some cool stuff!

Sep 22, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #82 of 95
this is what he said!

Hi James. Thanks for writing.

It can be difficult to go to all of the small headfi meets, but sometimes I can send equipment if there is someone who will watch over it, take care of it, and send it back. :)

How many folks do you usually have at these events??

And…I’ve been to Lawrence quite a few times, stayed there about 4 or 5 times on road trips to various places. So I know your town pretty well.

Oct 13, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #83 of 95
finally got the second one of my prototypes I meant to bring to the meetup ready to go. Its a deluxe version of my CMOY amps, has an 18v power supply, two selectable gain settings, a bigger/higher grade capacitor on the power supply and a nice acrylic enclosure instead of a mint tin.

Oct 13, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #85 of 95
Looks like he requested it. Staff won't tell you anything regarding bans. Best to move on.

Oct 14, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #87 of 95
It happens fairly regularly on enthusiast boards. People ask for their accounts to be suspended so they are less able to participate, and thus be ensnared by the latest, greatest, and end up buying things they can't/won't afford.

Oct 14, 2014 at 8:03 AM Post #88 of 95
  finally got the second one of my prototypes I meant to bring to the meetup ready to go. Its a deluxe version of my CMOY amps, has an 18v power supply, two selectable gain settings, a bigger/higher grade capacitor on the power supply and a nice acrylic enclosure instead of a mint tin.

Looks pretty slick! What kind of battery life can you count on?

Oct 15, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #90 of 95
with the single 9v version i get 40-50 hours per alkaline, or about half that for a rechargeable nimh.  This version should be very similar as the current draw is pretty much the same, the higher voltage just gives much more headroom and allows the op amp to operate with a higher voltage swing if necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back