7Hz Impressions & Discussion
Aug 24, 2022 at 9:05 PM Post #3,271 of 4,273
However it's working it is quite noticeable with both my ACE and MEXT - you dont actually feel the tickling vibration but it fills out the mids and some how brings an undescribeable 3D or holographic effect.
I can vouch for that (at least on the Hook-X anyhow). And it does sound terrific IMO. It seems to give an "airyness" to a level that I normally don't get on IEMs.
That's an amazing fun fact and goes to prove everything old is now again!
I know right? lol

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2022 at 11:53 PM Post #3,272 of 4,273
I currently have the (OG) P1, Timeless, and Hook-X so I can't comment on the S12, Dioko, or Muse, but I can say that the competition is very stiff, and someone really wants to win the competition badly... lol

I think Tinhifi has really messed up here. IMO they are trying to duplicate the success that was the (OG) P1 (they have since the P2, then the P1 Plus, and now the P1 Max; all pretty much duds comparatively), and they will never do it. People don't want to hear lower quantities in bass nowadays (like they used to with stuff like the HD600 and the like that had "audiophile" tuning).

With the advent of driver coatings, and planar drivers being shrunken down, people no longer need to be called "bassheads" because it has big bass (or even be ashamed of it). No longer is the bass blurry, and bloated, and takes over the entire sound signature, but now it blends with the rest of the music (even if it IS boosted) and is so much deeper, and fast, and textured sounding than it used to be.

I don't think I have read any good reviews on these. Wonder what they were thinking when they released these? Surely they had to know they sounded bad???? Must be an engineer right out of college (or was home schooled)?! :upside_down:

I am not making any commitments yet, but I think I have found what I was looking for in the Hook-X. They don't do enough wrong to want to upgrade (I don't need the last 5% I think). And I certainly am not paying (again) kilobuck prices for something that might sound better, but not THAT much better. The sweet spot for me seems to have been the mid-tier offerings. I probably won't need to upgrade from the IT-07 either (they are brilliant to my ears). Who knows this may change tomorrow and I may hear something that blows me away even more, but as of today it stands....
Too add to the mix, there is also the CA Supermoon though while you can only order that in custom currently, there are some universals floating around and those who have it seem pretty happy with it.

Aug 25, 2022 at 12:41 AM Post #3,273 of 4,273

With the advent of driver coatings, and planar drivers being shrunken down, people no longer need to be called "bassheads" because it has big bass (or even be ashamed of it). No longer is the bass blurry, and bloated, and takes over the entire sound signature, but now it blends with the rest of the music (even if it IS boosted) and is so much deeper, and fast, and textured sounding than it used to be.

I swear.....engaged for a few months again on Head-Fi.....I think I'm completely an 'audiophile nerd' one second......and half a minute later I'm totally fitting the 'basshead' personification by Head-Fi standards. It's a vicious circle!

All I know is your description fits what I crave for the low/rhythm end (bass guitar, strings, percussion, etc.). Accurate, both tonally.... including impact/decay/texture, and PRESENCE, without ever bleeding/over riding the mid/top end, which must include the airiest detail and separation.

Aug 25, 2022 at 1:43 AM Post #3,274 of 4,273
I swear.....engaged for a few months again on Head-Fi.....I think I'm completely an 'audiophile nerd' one second......and half a minute later I'm totally fitting the 'basshead' personification by Head-Fi standards. It's a vicious circle!

All I know is your description fits what I crave for the low/rhythm end (bass guitar, strings, percussion, etc.). Accurate, both tonally.... including impact/decay/texture, and PRESENCE, without ever bleeding/over riding the mid/top end, which must include the airiest detail and separation.
That has become the (evolving) definition of "audiophile" I think. And it is a good thing that there is so much variety out there, there really isn't such a thing as an outlier anymore because there IS something to fit everyone. But what I was describing is more like audiophile bass, not really basshead. So I think you are safe... :dt880smile:

As for me, I have found that I like both. I LOVE my (OG) P1 that have a lot less bass quantity (some might call bass light), but on the other hand I have found my guilty pleasure the same as you described in your last paragraph.... I have gotten really close with some great IEMs, but I never realized how much I was missing (in that area) until I bought a pair of Focals (or something similar).. :)

I still love (and always will) my Sennheiser HD700, but I also love my CRA & CRA+ too.... Times are crazy no?

Aug 29, 2022 at 7:13 PM Post #3,278 of 4,273
7hz timeless is bang for the buck, now hearing dioko is even better, so it's gonna be a cat and mouse game for a while as each company make the smallest improvement to get us to buy.
Dioko is not "better". It might be a more cost-effective option if it fits your preferred sound profile. But in many ways it is not better. I have owned the Timeless since last year and I sold my Dioko within a week. The poor bass response and lack of soundstage depth of the Dioko were reasons that I sold it. For some folks, the Dioko might be suitable for their purposes. But not for all. If people have a limit on price, then maybe the Dioko is competitive. But for less than $150, I would much rather own a Moondrop Aria, as it has a more well rounded sound and much better bass and vocal quality. The benefits of a planar element (speed, balance, clarity of overlapping rhythms) are actually better represented by the Timeless. The Dioko appears to have better crispness and clarity of upper registers, but only at the expense of the lower registers, balance, and soundstage. I would choose Timeless 10 times out of 10 for what it offers.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2022 at 9:19 PM Post #3,279 of 4,273
Sep 2, 2022 at 7:50 AM Post #3,280 of 4,273
There is some crazy synergy between the Timeless and Sony WM1A (MrWalkman fw) - totally outclasses my FiiO M11 LTD & FD7 (and the FD7 out of the Sony)

For the money, outstanding!

Sep 2, 2022 at 8:46 AM Post #3,281 of 4,273
Dioko is not "better". It might be a more cost-effective option if it fits your preferred sound profile. But in many ways it is not better. I have owned the Timeless since last year and I sold my Dioko within a week. The poor bass response and lack of soundstage depth of the Dioko were reasons that I sold it. For some folks, the Dioko might be suitable for their purposes. But not for all. If people have a limit on price, then maybe the Dioko is competitive. But for less than $150, I would much rather own a Moondrop Aria, as it has a more well rounded sound and much better bass and vocal quality. The benefits of a planar element (speed, balance, clarity of overlapping rhythms) are actually better represented by the Timeless. The Dioko appears to have better crispness and clarity of upper registers, but only at the expense of the lower registers, balance, and soundstage. I would choose Timeless 10 times out of 10 for what it offers.
I don't have the Timeless but I don't find the Dioko to have poor bass response in comparison to most harmon IEMs. In my situation, the Dioko cannot be driven properly single ended so the stock cable is pretty useless ( I never use stock cables anyway). I think maybe you can try using higher gains or swapping cables if you haven't?

Sep 2, 2022 at 8:51 AM Post #3,282 of 4,273
I don't have the Timeless but I don't find the Dioko to have poor bass response in comparison to most harmon IEMs. In my situation, the Dioko cannot be driven properly single ended so the stock cable is pretty useless ( I never use stock cables anyway). I think maybe you can try using higher gains or swapping cables if you haven't?
Is it possible that the wording "poor bass response" is actually confused for "lesser quantity bass"? I found that a lot of people made such comments regarding the OG P1 also, which is not true at all. It has fantastic bass response, just not boosted at all.

I really don't know in this situation because I have not heard the Dioko, so I was merely curious.

Sep 2, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #3,283 of 4,273
Is it possible that the wording "poor bass response" is actually confused for "lesser quantity bass"? I found that a lot of people made such comments regarding the OG P1 also, which is not true at all. It has fantastic bass response, just not boosted at all.

I really don't know in this situation because I have not heard the Dioko, so I was merely curious.
I think for the Dioko, it is the lack of impact and bass forwardness at lower gain/single end but not necessarily lack of quantity.

Sep 2, 2022 at 9:42 AM Post #3,284 of 4,273

I don’t know, I’m by no means a basshead but I have the OG P1 and I think the bass is subdued to the point where the tonal balance is somewhat off. There’s just no weight to each note so instruments feel like they’re floating in the air and everything has a glassy sheen to it. It works really well for some genres (acoustic recordings come to mind) but not others.

Sep 4, 2022 at 7:30 PM Post #3,285 of 4,273
Planar tonight
7Hz Dioko driven by my Xperia Pro-I
You don't need a lot to enjoy audio ... 🙏
IMG20220904154753-01.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back