7Hz Impressions & Discussion
Aug 20, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #3,241 of 4,272
I got around to trying out the Zero today. I think they just nullified the other choices in the market at the ~$20 price point. I'm really impressed with these.

Minimal adjustments needed for an otherwise highly enjoyable listen. For a quick start, just boost the bass and go!

It's not worthwhile to nitpick some areas that could be a bit better, not at $20, and not with what you get already for it with the Zero.

Aug 20, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #3,242 of 4,272
I see where you're coming from. I used to shop via FR graphs. And I've definitely avoided some whose FR graphs looked objectionable to me. But with regard to IMR IEMs, I've found that their descriptions of the IEM sound signatures are pretty accurate. I would also check the reviews over on the IMR thread. For me, the EDP ACE was a blind buy based on the fact that it incorporated a planar driver, and the original EDP was highly regarded, so I suspected the new one might meet my needs. It exceeded my expectations by a longshot. So I bought a Zenith II. It also exceeded my expectations, maybe even more so than the ACE. So now I'm an IMR fan boi apparently. I can't get the Zenith II out of my ears at the moment. But in any event, I've found their descriptions to be accurate. If the description sounds like it would suit you, then go for it. If you don't like it, I'm sure you could re-sell it for at least the price you paid.

Good luck.
How is Zenith's sound signature comparatively to EDP ACE?

Aug 20, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #3,243 of 4,272
There is a lot of chatter on the IMR thread about both. Bottom line is the Ace is crisp and lighter in the bass although the Ace has great bass texture and range, just less oomph. The Zii has a fuller sound, with the biggest stage I've heard in an IEM, yet amazing instrument separation and detail. Tonality is superior on the Zii, although my Ace only has maybe 50 hours on it, so that might change.

Both are terrific, but the Zii takes the lead for pure sonic enjoyment.

Aug 20, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #3,244 of 4,272
There is a lot of chatter on the IMR thread about both. Bottom line is the Ace is crisp and lighter in the bass although the Ace has great bass texture and range, just less oomph. The Zii has a fuller sound, with the biggest stage I've heard in an IEM, yet amazing instrument separation and detail. Tonality is superior on the Zii, although my Ace only has maybe 50 hours on it, so that might change.

Both are terrific, but the Zii takes the lead for pure sonic enjoyment.
Thank you for the info.

I am at around 100+ hours of burn-in with my EDP and I begun experimenting with tuning filters. The difference is extraordinary from the black filters with which the IEMs came with.

Now about soundstage I really enjoy that as aspect as it confers to separation of the different musical elements. But one thing I noticed is that this (meaning having expansive soundstage) does not always come with good stereo imaging.

I really like the soundstage of Timeless eg but I noticed that my Shure SE846s while having a more narrow stage they excell in imaging, easily beating Timeless. After that I observation I became sceptical about mere 'expansive soundtage'. If it does not bind with good stereo imaging it doesn't mean much to me.

EDP ACE perform great on imaging plus above average soundstage by the way. I don't know if it has to do with the bone conduction driver but the sense of placement is remarkable.

Aug 20, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #3,245 of 4,272
I really like the soundstage of Timeless eg but I noticed that my Shure SE846s while having a more narrow stage they excell in imaging, easily beating Timeless. After that I observation I became sceptical about mere 'expansive soundtage'. If it does not bind with good stereo imaging it doesn't mean much to me.

EDP ACE perform great on imaging plus above average soundstage by the way. I don't know if it has to do with the bone conduction driver but the sense of placement is remarkable.
For staging, Zii beats Timeless by far. IMO so does Ace, to a slightly lesser degree. Imaging, Zii might actually beat Ace by a little bit. Both beat Timeless noticeably. Clarity and crispness is where the Ace shines. The stage is very intimate, as are the vocals. Super clear and textured.

Timeless might be neck-and-neck with them with regard to cohesiveness and FR, but it's a tough call. In terms or which ones I would choose to put in my ears, it would be Zii, then Ace, then Timeless. This pains me to say, since I've been a Timeless fan for almost a year now. But these two IMR IEMs are just spectacular. Very dynamic, very balanced, very detailed and crisp. As I said, the Zii is just pure sonic enjoyment from top to bottom.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2022 at 10:01 AM Post #3,246 of 4,272
Haha! So much IMR chatter on a 7Hz thread. Must be a first! For any IMR iem!

+1 on the Zii. Next best thing to sliced bread!

Aug 21, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #3,247 of 4,272
Crosspost from Discovery Thread (sorry about table formatting):

Tanchjim Zero vs 7Hz Salnotes Zero

Putting these two little budget set head-to-head it's closer than I first thought in terms of technicalities but tonally there's a winner for me - the Tanchjim Zero. This little driver can sing. However this choice it's not without caveats.

The best choice for prospective buyers will depend on:
  • Genre preference / versatility demanded - the Tanchjim plays better with instrumental acoustic/jazz/classical, it doesn't do any favours to rock/metal/electronic due to its flat (but wonderfully detailed) bass. The Salnotes Zero plays everything to a 'good' standard but for those former genres the Tanchjim Zeros tonality and resolving power makes for a much more rewarding and musical listen (imo).
  • Pinna sensitivity - the Tanchjim Zero has a strong mid-forward presentation between 2-5kHz that offers heaps of clarity but is as it's not balanced by a bass lift can be quite invasive and overexposed, with some instruments e.g. electric guitar presenting as shrill. On the other side of the coin the aforementioned clarity 'vitalises' nearly every acoustic instrument and I'm willing to accept some shrill replay from the more intense instruments that make up little of what I listen to. There is so much detail and thanks to great extension either end everything sounds complete in it's tonality, if only slightly less balanced than the Salnotes.
  • Fit - the shell on the Tanchjim Zero is shallow fitting with little length for deeper ear canals/concha and the plastic shell can be abrasive unless you get the fit right. The Salnotes has no such issues and has a detachable cable.
  • Source - the Tanchjim Zero benefits from power more than the Salnotes. It's not as ludicrously demanding as Final E series bullet IEMs but as with most smaller DDs they benefit from power to play to their best. This last point should be a secondary factor in your decision because the difference in driveability isn't significant.

Compared on Cayin RU-6, NOS, 3.5mm stock cables, KBear 07 tips on both
ParameterTanchjim ZeroSalnotes Zero
TonalityBright-neutralBass-boost 'balanced'
BassNeutral without roll-off, expansive and textured, more natural qualityWarm, impactful with greater subbass but overall a less dynamic and 'expressive' presentation with what feels like greater driver dampening
MidrangeVocals are pushed forward. Male vocals are a little thin. Despite this, noteweight feels more natural with better macrodynamic swings that makes a big difference. Sibilance well controlled but shout a distinct possibility if you're listening at loud volumesWarmer, less clarity. Vocals are more balanced between male and female but can still venture into sibilance in the uppermidrange. Midbass and low mids feel less 'full'. Less shouty.
TrebleLess air but greater lower treble presence and sparkleVice versa
SoundstageNarrower, tallerWider
ImagingBetter layering, greater dimensionDirectionally more informative but less dimension and flat at its extremes
ResolutionNoticeably greater resolution from bass to trebleNo slouch and still good for $20
TimbreMore revealing tonality and expressive driver. More natural note decayNot inaccurate but muddied by it's lower resolution, less clarity and less expressive driver properties

The Tanchjim Zero reminds me alot of my favourite earbuds in terms of its presentation. It sounds open, detailed and midcentric, prioritising clarity over all else. I reach for the Tanchjim almost every time and by comparison the Salnotes Zero sounds boring. My preference on this occasion is largely to do with (a) my prioritising instrumental clarity and resolution and (b) the Tanchjim Zero driver just displaying better dynamism and a more natural timbre. YMMV!

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #3,249 of 4,272
Any long-term impressions about Dioko?
I kept mine for 3 weeks then gave it to my wife.
While not bad by any means still it sounded like a somehow boring version of Timeless.
I think the mid-bass tampering does not work for me.

I'm still enjoying it for its resolution but it needs more low mid presence and has shortcomings in the treble.

A surprise over the longterm is how it has made me appreciate good DD timbre even more, not sure I'm a fan of planar timbre, at least in the form the Dioko produces.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #3,250 of 4,272
I'm still enjoying it for its resolution but it needs more low mid presence and has shortcomings in the treble.

A surprise over the longterm is how it has made me appreciate good DD timbre even more, not sure I'm a fan of planar timbre, at least in the form the Dioko produces.
Yes excactly, but I think Timeless does not suffer from an unengeging low-mid register the way Dioko does.
Personlly I very much enjoy the Timeless' bass rendering. It posseses that subtle ballance between rumble and definition. Crinacle's meddling with that in Dioko's case, just messed things up IMO.

Aug 21, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #3,251 of 4,272
Yes excactly, but I think Timeless does not suffer from an unengeging low-mid register the way Dioko does.
Personlly I very much enjoy the Timeless' bass rendering. It posseses that subtle ballance between rumble and definition. Crinacle's meddling with that in Dioko's case, just messed things up IMO.
Is it actually missing in the Dioko, or is it just tuned more on the neutral side? I have the OG P1 and people that are used to (and like) more quantity of bass were turned off by it and called it bass light. The truth about those is that it was all there, it was just tuned to be more neutral (albeit sounding less lively) and made for a great analytical listen IMHO. I have not heard the Dioko, but you are certainly not the first person to mention this that I have read, and I was just curious.

Aug 21, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #3,252 of 4,272
Is it actually missing in the Dioko, or is it just tuned more on the neutral side? I have the OG P1 and people that are used to (and like) more quantity of bass were turned off by it and called it bass light. The truth about those is that it was all there, it was just tuned to be more neutral (albeit sounding less lively) and made for a great analytical listen IMHO. I have not heard the Dioko, but you are certainly not the first person to mention this that I have read, and I was just curious.

I've been trying to put my finger on this because planars/the Dioko seem to handle bass differently. My conclusion is that it's not missing from the Dioko but the combination of speedy planar driver behaviour and a more neutral tuning makes it very noticeable (more so than a similarly tuned DD) - this is just a theory though. There's a diffuse character to its bass that doesn't help it's dynamics either.

Aug 21, 2022 at 4:08 PM Post #3,253 of 4,272
I've been trying to put my finger on this because planars/the Dioko seem to handle bass differently. My conclusion is that it's not missing from the Dioko but the combination of speedy planar driver behaviour and a more neutral tuning makes it very noticeable (more so than a similarly tuned DD) - this is just a theory though. There's a diffuse character to its bass that doesn't help it's dynamics either.
This certainly makes a lot of sense to me. Planar bass can throw some people off because even if they have the same amount of quantity as a DD they will sound different because of the speed (lack of decay) which most people love in DD. Where you lose out in rumble, you gain in texture which makes them decidedly different sounding IMO.

I suspect that you may be right about the neutral nature of the tuning considering a lot of comments I see that say they are missing something are in comparison to a planar that are tuned with an overall boosted bass and also a mid-bass hump/boost to give a perceived thump (eg. Timeless), as opposed to a more linear tuning and lesser quantity (eg. OG P1).

Aug 21, 2022 at 6:52 PM Post #3,254 of 4,272
I agree.

Aug 24, 2022 at 12:05 AM Post #3,255 of 4,272
So after seeing the Zero's graph and autoeq'ing it on Crinacle's site, I now see/hear where the treble needs work. AutoEQ adds something like Q:2 +11dB at 11kHz and Q:1.2 -8.1dB at 13kHz to even things out, and it sounds better but way too shrill like that. Playing with 11kHz shows where things are missing sound wise at stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back