7Hz Impressions & Discussion
Aug 24, 2022 at 3:25 PM Post #3,257 of 4,273

My review of the 7hz Salnotes x Crinacle Dioko is out and you can find it here.

Hope you enjoy it and have a nice day!

Good review! It's interesting getting to know these new drivers and how they behave.

I have the same feelings as you in that I need more emphasis on the bass with this iteration of drivers to get the dynamics I'm after. The benefit is that a lack of bleed and effortless clarity are strong points so you can afford to lift it more before obscuring the midrange. That's my armchair tuner take on it anyway...!

Aug 24, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #3,258 of 4,273
Good review! It's interesting getting to know these new drivers and how they behave.

I have the same feelings as you in that I need more emphasis on the bass with this iteration of drivers to get the dynamics I'm after. The benefit is that a lack of bleed and effortless clarity are strong points so you can afford to lift it more before obscuring the midrange. That's my armchair tuner take on it anyway...!

Exactly! My thoughts as well. Give me a S12 with better mids and treble, with timeless sense of dynamics and resolution, Diokos stage and 7hz Zero price, so I can mourne on the price of my U12T 😂

Aug 24, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #3,259 of 4,273
Exactly! My thoughts as well. Give me a S12 with better mids and treble, with timeless sense of dynamics and resolution, Diokos stage and 7hz Zero price, so I can mourne on the price of my U12T 😂

Only a matter of time!

Aug 24, 2022 at 7:19 PM Post #3,260 of 4,273
The Hook-X is close to having all of those things (obviously not price) IMHO... :) So yes, it IS only a matter of time, I think.

Aug 24, 2022 at 7:26 PM Post #3,261 of 4,273
The Hook-X is close to having all of those things (obviously not price) IMHO... :) So yes, it IS only a matter of time, I think.

They hold their own for sure. I (currently) have the Muse Power, the S12, the P1 Max, the Dioko and the Hook-X. I’d say the S12 and Hook-X are more or less neck and neck. Hook-X is tuned better but S12 has better resolution. Both have really good bass (once you get used to the planar sound.) The P1 Max lags some because it’s a very “safe” tuning and the Dioko remains in my collection because it excels at detail and is a perfect match for some of my classical and jazz albums. The Muse was a total loss. It sounds too weird to listen to.

I’m eager to hear the next wave of planar phones. All of these can be improved upon, some more than others.

Aug 24, 2022 at 7:32 PM Post #3,262 of 4,273

Modding the S12 might give you all of that :dt880smile:

Aug 24, 2022 at 7:42 PM Post #3,263 of 4,273
They hold their own for sure. I (currently) have the Muse Power, the S12, the P1 Max, the Dioko and the Hook-X. I’d say the S12 and Hook-X are more or less neck and neck. Hook-X is tuned better but S12 has better resolution. Both have really good bass (once you get used to the planar sound.)
I currently have the (OG) P1, Timeless, and Hook-X so I can't comment on the S12, Dioko, or Muse, but I can say that the competition is very stiff, and someone really wants to win the competition badly... lol
The P1 Max lags some because it’s a very “safe” tuning and the Dioko remains in my collection because it excels at detail and is a perfect match for some of my classical and jazz albums.
I think Tinhifi has really messed up here. IMO they are trying to duplicate the success that was the (OG) P1 (they have since the P2, then the P1 Plus, and now the P1 Max; all pretty much duds comparatively), and they will never do it. People don't want to hear lower quantities in bass nowadays (like they used to with stuff like the HD600 and the like that had "audiophile" tuning).

With the advent of driver coatings, and planar drivers being shrunken down, people no longer need to be called "bassheads" because it has big bass (or even be ashamed of it). No longer is the bass blurry, and bloated, and takes over the entire sound signature, but now it blends with the rest of the music (even if it IS boosted) and is so much deeper, and fast, and textured sounding than it used to be.
The Muse was a total loss. It sounds too weird to listen to.
I don't think I have read any good reviews on these. Wonder what they were thinking when they released these? Surely they had to know they sounded bad???? Must be an engineer right out of college (or was home schooled)?! :upside_down:
I’m eager to hear the next wave of planar phones. All of these can be improved upon, some more than others.
I am not making any commitments yet, but I think I have found what I was looking for in the Hook-X. They don't do enough wrong to want to upgrade (I don't need the last 5% I think). And I certainly am not paying (again) kilobuck prices for something that might sound better, but not THAT much better. The sweet spot for me seems to have been the mid-tier offerings. I probably won't need to upgrade from the IT-07 either (they are brilliant to my ears). Who knows this may change tomorrow and I may hear something that blows me away even more, but as of today it stands....

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2022 at 7:47 PM Post #3,264 of 4,273
I currently have the (OG) P1, Timeless, and Hook-X so I can't comment on the S12, Dioko, or Muse, but I can say that the competition is very stiff, and someone really wants to win the competition badly... lol

I think Tinhifi has really messed up here. IMO they are trying to duplicate the success that was the (OG) P1 (they have since the P2, then the P1 Plus, and now the P1 Max; all pretty much duds comparatively), and they will never do it. People don't want to hear lower quantities in bass nowadays (like they used to with stuff like the HD600 and the like that had "audiophile" tuning).

With the advent of driver coatings, and planar drivers being shrunken down, people no longer need to be called "bassheads" because it has big bass (or even be ashamed of it). No longer is the bass blurry, and bloated, and takes over the entire sound signature, but now it blends with the rest of the music (even if it IS boosted) and is so much deeper, and fast, and textured sounding than it used to be.

I don't think I have read any good reviews on these. Wonder what they were thinking when they released these? Surely they had to know they sounded bad???? Must be an engineer right out of college (or was home schooled)?! :upside_down:

I am not making any commitments yet, but I think I have found what I was looking for in the Hook-X. They don't do enough wrong to want to upgrade (I don't need the last 5% I think). And I certainly am not paying (again) kilobuck prices for something that might sound better, but not THAT much better. The sweet spot for me seems to have been the mid-tier offerings. I probably won't need to upgrade from the IT-07 either (they are brilliant to my ears). Who knows this may change tomorrow and I may here something that blows me away even more, but as of today it stands....

On the Muse, it’s difficult to figure out what went wrong. There are mistakes along the whole journey from the gigantic shells to the horrible tuning on the set. But they got a lot right too. They’re not uncomfortable and the lower mid, bass and sub-bass all sound great. Their packaging and design is all nice and projects confidence. But as you say, it’s almost like no one actually listened to them before they shipped them.

Aug 24, 2022 at 8:06 PM Post #3,265 of 4,273
On the Muse, it’s difficult to figure out what went wrong. There are mistakes along the whole journey from the gigantic shells to the horrible tuning on the set. But they got a lot right too. They’re not uncomfortable and the lower mid, bass and sub-bass all sound great. Their packaging and design is all nice and projects confidence. But as you say, it’s almost like no one actually listened to them before they shipped them.
There really is no excuse in today's world of head gear (especially for the price). Most people wouldn't even hear the good parts that you mentioned because the whole overall sound probably is just too "out of whack"... :) Maybe they are just throwing things at the wall to see what "sticks", after all they also have crap like this. lol

Edit: OK! Probably not the same company, but you get the point?! haha

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2022 at 8:09 PM Post #3,266 of 4,273
I

Haven't bought a new IMR IEM in well over a year. Are there any Frequency Response graphs?
As you know, IMR comes with a full compliment of Bass Nozzles and Treble Filters so there would need to be 64 graphs!
I have the ACE and it is phenomenal. An Exquisite ADLC CNT Dynamic running full range with no cross over for deep textured lows and crisp sparkly highs. A 10mm Planar doing wonders in the mids with silky liquid vocals and all the texture of drum skins and Bone Conduction filling it all out with some holographic effect. Keep your eyes on the Used Market - they are worth having.

Anyone who has ever owned an IMR knows burn-in is real on these babies - I'm just over 300 hours and they are my new favorite.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #3,267 of 4,273
As you know, IMR comes with a full compliment of Bass Nozzles and Treble Filters so there would need to be 64 graphs!
I have the ACE and it is phenomenal. An Exquisite ADLC CNT Dynamic running full range with no cross over for deep textured lows and crisp sparkly highs. A 10mm Planar doing wonders in the mids with silky liquid vocals and all the texture of drum skins and Bone Conduction filling it all out with some holographic effect. Keep your eyes on the Used Market - they are worth having.

Anyone who has ever owned an IMR knows burn-in is real on these babies - I'm just over 300 hours and they are my new favorite.
I must be missing something here, and maybe you can explain better, but looking at pictures of the monitor I don't see how it can be bone conduction since it doesn't come into contact with any actual bones?!

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2022 at 8:36 PM Post #3,268 of 4,273
I must be missing something here, and maybe you can explain better, but looking at pictures of the monitor I don't see how it can be bone conduction since it doesn't come into contact with any actual bones?!
The ACE fits perfectly into the bowl of the ear and the vibration carries through that, the vibrations also come through the nozzle. It works just like the Unique Melody offering with BC tech.

Aug 24, 2022 at 8:46 PM Post #3,269 of 4,273
The ACE fits perfectly into the bowl of the ear and the vibration carries through that, the vibrations also come through the nozzle. It works just like the Unique Melody offering with BC tech.
So, rather than actual bone conduction it is more like vibration sound waves. I get it.

Though the "bone conduction" is not able to "carry" through the bowl of your ear, it is all cartilage. There are only 3 (tiny) bones in the ear, and they are in the middle ear. This is typically why (older) bone conduction headsets have a spot that touches the bone below your ear (upper jaw/lower skull).

If you want to test this, put the earpieces between your teeth and see if you can hear it (probably best to turn the volume down so you don't hear the actual sound coming from the drivers rather than bone conduction. I tested the Hook-X in this manner because in one place they state it is a piezoelectric driver, and others they say bone conduction (which usually they use a piezo for bone conduction, but you CAN have one without the other) and it is NOT bone conduction but vibrating soundwaves (which still sounds good).

Off topic: Did you know that Beethoven was able to finish some works that normally he wouldn't have been able to by using bone conduction? A rod between his teeth allowed him to hear through bone what the piano was doing (to a limited degree). :)

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2022 at 8:55 PM Post #3,270 of 4,273
Though the "bone conduction" is not able to "carry" through the bowl of your ear, it is all cartilage. There are only 3 (tiny) bones in the ear, and they are in the middle ear. This is typically why (older) bone conduction headsets have a spot that touches the bone below your ear (upper jaw/lower skull).
However it's working it is quite noticeable with both my ACE and MEXT - you dont actually feel the tickling vibration but it fills out the mids and some how brings an undescribeable 3D or holographic effect.
Off topic: Did you know that Beethoven was able to finish some works that normally he wouldn't have been able to by using bone conduction? A rod between his teeth allowed him to hear through bone what the piano was doing (to a limited degree). :)
That's an amazing fun fact and goes to prove everything old is now again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back