7Hz Impressions & Discussion
May 5, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #2,822 of 4,273
What tips do you guys use on the timeless?
One one of my pairs I am using the SpinFit CP100+ and on the other one I am using the cone-shaped stock tips.

May 5, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #2,824 of 4,273
What I don't get is why some of these are considered absolute positives. Why would a forced wide soundstage in every rendition be a good thing? When someone says this I'd like to know what specific song they are talking about.
Why some of what are considered positives? Technicalities? I guess I don't totally understand the quesstion. Maybe I am having a brain fart day?! :)

May 5, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #2,825 of 4,273
What I don't get is why some of these are considered absolute positives. Why would a forced wide soundstage in every rendition be a good thing? When someone says this I'd like to know what specific song they are talking about.
I wouldn't say any differences (bigger stage, more forward vocals, thicker lower mids, etc. . . .) you get with a cable roll are absolute positives. What they are are differences and some of those differences might line up with your preferences and others may not. For instance, the Timeless in stock form sound overall a bit closed in (stage wise) and bloated in the midbass for my preferences, so I went looking for a cable that could effect those in a positive way that align more with my preferences. Your mentioning of a forced wide soundstage can be a good or bad thing depending on preferences and the tuning of the iem. Some iems can sound too diffused and loose impact and dynamics if you force the stage too wide, and others can never be widened enough. . .

Last edited:
May 5, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #2,827 of 4,273
My first Xinhs cable arrived today. It's rather heavy but sounds smooth and well extended. I might start comparing my Timeless to my other gear again.
Graphene hybrid, copper, silver? Balanced, SE? 8 core, 16 core? I'm assuming it is litz (as most of theirs are)?

May 5, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #2,829 of 4,273
I wouldn't say any differences (bigger stage, more forward vocals, thicker lower mids, etc. . . .) you get with a cable roll are absolute positives. What they are are differences and some of those differences might line up with your preferences and others may not. For instance, the Timeless in stock form sound overall a bit closed in (stage wise) and bloated in the midbass for my preferences, so I went looking for a cable that could effect those in a positive way that align more with my preferences. Your mentioning of a forced wide soundstage can be a good or bad thing depending on preferences and the tuning of the iem. Some iems can sound too diffused and loose impact and dynamics if you force the stage too wide, and others can never be widened enough. . .
I found the same with the stock cable. I am now on the stock cable from my IT-07 pure silver. It has helped with the mid-bass for me, but didn't help with soundstage. Wide bore tips helped with that one.

To my ears though, those changes are only subtle (not enough to overcome the problem totally).

May 5, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #2,831 of 4,273
I found the same with the stock cable. I am now on the stock cable from my IT-07 pure silver. It has helped with the mid-bass for me, but didn't help with soundstage. Wide bore tips helped with that one.

To my ears though, those changes are only subtle (not enough to overcome the problem totally).
This Satin Chimera II (8 wire litz 50/50 Copper and SPC both of highest quality) I am rocking, takes care of my issues stunningly well. It actually sounds as if they were tuned together / made for each other.

Last edited:
May 5, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #2,832 of 4,273
I like the way you put that!

Just like tone, imaging, layering, attack, decay, etc... changing a cable is not a quantifiable number that can be plotted on a graph. Our ears are more complex in what they pick up than a machine could ever fully measure in a scientific way.

Sonic density can also change. Which is related to imaging. As an example, a change may cause the center of the imaging to sound more dense. With popular music the center is usually the lead vocal which is midrange. You'll hear the vocal being more dense and stronger. But the frequency response measurement hasn't changed. What's changed is how your brain interprets the sound. You can get similar changes if bass density changes or treble density changes. Those changes won't show up in frequency response graphs, but will be audible to humans.

May 5, 2022 at 1:39 PM Post #2,833 of 4,273
To overcome those issues, I have had to resort to using EQ. I'm pretty happy with them after that combination of changes. :)

May 5, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #2,834 of 4,273
Sonic density can also change. Which is related to imaging. As an example, a change may cause the center of the imaging to sound more dense. With popular music the center is usually the lead vocal which is midrange. You'll hear the vocal being more dense and stronger. But the frequency response measurement hasn't changed. What's changed is how your brain interprets the sound. You can get similar changes if bass density changes or treble density changes. Those changes won't show up in frequency response graphs, but will be audible to humans.
Well said! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back