7Hz Impressions & Discussion
May 3, 2022 at 9:54 PM Post #2,791 of 4,275
Do you find the timeless much less resolving than the LCD2 too ?

Yes, I find the Timeless to be less resolving than the LCD-2r2 (2011) and also the LCD-2 Classic.

I was listening to my Oppo PM2 today. The Timeless seems to be about similarly resolving as the Timeless. Similar, but different. The PM2 seems more resolving in some areas then I listen to the Timeless and it seems more resolving in different areas. It's hard to pick a clear winner between the two.

May 4, 2022 at 12:48 AM Post #2,793 of 4,275
The Monarch MK2 is a hybrid multi-driver IEM that is $1000. It's not the same thing as the Timeless. I'm interested in the Timeless because I like planar magnetic driver headphones and wanted to explore an affordable IEM with a single planar magnetic driver. The Monarch is none of that. Comparing the Monarch to the Timeless is comparing apples and oranges.

May 4, 2022 at 1:13 AM Post #2,794 of 4,275
Maybe I should upgrade my amp but out of my fiio K5 pro I hear the timeless as being much faster and more resolving than my HD600, and closer in general to my my full-size planars and electrostats. Maybe dynamic headphones just present details in a different way though, I'm usually more impressed with other technologies. Do you find the timeless much less resolving than the LCD2 too ?

I should have also mentioned that when I'm comparing the resolving capability of the HD650 I'm basing that on listening to very good amps. With lesser mid-fi level amps the HD650 is not as resolving, and with some mid-fi amps the HD650 can really kinda suck. With good amps the HD650 can really show its thing and be impressive. But that requires a very good amp suited for the HD650. Same with the LCD-2 and other Audeze headphones. With mid-fi level amps the LCD-2 does not have good resolution (ability to resolve). With a very good amp it can exceed the resolution (ability to resolve) that the HD650 can do.

So a lot of this is amp dependent. An amp that gets the HD650 to resolve very well may not get a planar like the LCD-2 or Timeless to resolve very well. And vice versa. I've been using my Cavalli Liquid Gold X and Cavalli Liquid Platinum with the Timeless because both amps do very well with Audeze planars. So I assumed they'd also do well with the Timeless planar. But maybe not. I'm open to finding out that I need to try a different amp to get the Timeless IEMs to show off and do their thing.

May 4, 2022 at 3:11 AM Post #2,795 of 4,275
The Monarch MK2 is a hybrid multi-driver IEM that is $1000. It's not the same thing as the Timeless. I'm interested in the Timeless because I like planar magnetic driver headphones and wanted to explore an affordable IEM with a single planar magnetic driver. The Monarch is none of that. Comparing the Monarch to the Timeless is comparing apples and oranges.
I agree that is apples to oranges but the timbre issue is a problem even at this price point. S12, another planar is better in that regard and is cheaper.

May 4, 2022 at 5:06 AM Post #2,796 of 4,275
I should have also mentioned that when I'm comparing the resolving capability of the HD650 I'm basing that on listening to very good amps. With lesser mid-fi level amps the HD650 is not as resolving, and with some mid-fi amps the HD650 can really kinda suck. With good amps the HD650 can really show its thing and be impressive. But that requires a very good amp suited for the HD650. Same with the LCD-2 and other Audeze headphones. With mid-fi level amps the LCD-2 does not have good resolution (ability to resolve). With a very good amp it can exceed the resolution (ability to resolve) that the HD650 can do.

So a lot of this is amp dependent. An amp that gets the HD650 to resolve very well may not get a planar like the LCD-2 or Timeless to resolve very well. And vice versa. I've been using my Cavalli Liquid Gold X and Cavalli Liquid Platinum with the Timeless because both amps do very well with Audeze planars. So I assumed they'd also do well with the Timeless planar. But maybe not. I'm open to finding out that I need to try a different amp to get the Timeless IEMs to show off and do their thing.
I know the Timeless quite well now, and I know the Cavalli sound sig quite well too, and I honestly don't think that would be an ideal pairing. The Timeless (and many other iems) are very sensitive to any type of change (tips, cable, source, insertion depth, ear anatomy . . .). As a full sized guy first and foremost, I always find iems much more challenging to get on with, as it seems even my mood can have a significant effect on how they sound on any given day. Also, the more I strain to try and hear detail, it always seems I hear less. . .? I like to just relax and try not to over analyze, and eventually the true sound comes through. That being said, I do find the Timeless quite resolving and to the point of startling at times (especially at this pricepoint), but they are not the end all be all for sure.

I would try some different amps, tips, and cables. Welcome to the wonderful world of iems, and they can be challenging but once you get a good one dialed in it is worth it.

Good luck!

Last edited:
May 4, 2022 at 5:11 AM Post #2,797 of 4,275

If they don't play well with your gear, I am not sure they will get much better on something else. Though, I do have to say they sound better on a warmer source IMHO. A good tube amp would sound really good with this set... :)

Edit: Though, in truth this will never be a super resolving IEM. These are more fun than analytical.

Last edited:
May 4, 2022 at 5:12 AM Post #2,798 of 4,275
I know the Timeless quite well now, and I know the Cavalli sound sig quite well too, and I honestly don't think that would be an ideal pairing. The Timeless (and many other iems) are very sensitive to any type of change (tips, cable, source, insertion depth, ear anatomy . . .). As a full sized guy first and foremost, I always find iems much more challenging to get on with, as it seems even my mood can have a significant effect on how they sound on any given day. Also, the more I strain to try and hear detail, it always seems I hear less. . .? I like to just relax and try not to over analyze, and eventually the true sound comes through.

I would try some different amps, tips, and cables. Welcome to the wonderful world of iems, and they can be challenging but once you get a good one dialed in it is worth it.

Good luck!
^^^

May 4, 2022 at 6:41 AM Post #2,799 of 4,275
It’s not just that, tuning is so different that I don’t even know how you compare them. It’s like oranges to steak.

May 4, 2022 at 7:00 AM Post #2,800 of 4,275
I agree that is apples to oranges but the timbre issue is a problem even at this price point. S12, another planar is better in that regard and is cheaper.
I don't know anything about the S12, but a decent all copper cable and R2R (NOS) DAC can really help with the timbre on the Timeless.

I am listening with this combo below right now, and it sounds hauntingly lifelike.

20220421_041049.jpg

Last edited:
May 4, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #2,802 of 4,275
It’s not just that, tuning is so different that I don’t even know how you compare them. It’s like oranges to steak.
Funny I don't really "compare" my IEM's..I like both apples and oranges, add in a change of source, sprinkle a cable swop and that's how I like my music 👍

May 4, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #2,803 of 4,275
So as I get to the end of my month-long return window with the Timeless, I've gone through what feels like a lifetime with them and listened to well over 2000 songs (I know because I had 2 1K playlists to go through lol) including my favorites multiple times. In summary:

1. The driver makes a difference: This tuning would be unacceptable for my tastes. That this amount of mid-bass didn't immediately ruin my listening experience makes me excited to see what happens when one of these is tuned properly.
2. EQ is required for me. 2 weeks in, started using the Harman/Oratory1990 tuning and never looked back. Harman is really the tuning that works best to my ears (or at least a tuning with a flat low-mids). The detail and sense of clarity is still far above my typical 1DD sets (looking at you KXXS). EQ also fixes the narrowness and depth of the soundstage for my ears (after all these are conjured PERCEPTIONS of something that isn't happening in my ear-canals).
3. However, when not critically listening, what they add is not easy to quantify. Which leads to my final conclusion...
4. If I'm going to EQ this every time I listen to it, then why not get the cheaper S12 or P1 Max instead? Why the Timeless vs any other 1Planar set?

So these are likely going back (a few days left) but have set a new standard of what I expect at this price point (coherence, detail, lack of distortion) but also reinforce my sneaking suspicion that it's the tuning that's making the major difference for me outside of a quiet A/B session. Bring on the Harman tuned version 7Hz!

I disagree with the following statements:
1. These are not as detailed as X. I just don't hear this and stand by my hearing ability (playing music by ear, lots of statements have been made about accuracy over the years). I have never heard any new detail even on kilo-buck sets.
2. These are flat and boring/not dynamic. Not any worse from what I've heard over the years. The stock/heavy mid-bass gives this impression. Low distortion makes these just as dynamic or more.
3. The original cables are fine. Big no on this one (and eating my own prior opinions on this one). First time I've ever heard a cable made a difference.

If cheaper options didn't exist, I'd keep these and just use them with EQ. 1DD is no longer going to cut it for my ears anymore (only exception are sets with HDSS which seem to have the same effect on my ears - less distortion).
I know but i was asked by someone here to compare them.
My bad, in order to compare IEMs, I try to get them to sound the same. I find that even minor adjustments in one frequency band makes such vast differences that it's hard to compare. Like EQ'ing down 13k (as suggested in the Precog thread) affects sub-bass rumble lol.
Funny I don't really "compare" my IEM's..I like both apples and oranges, add in a change of source, sprinkle a cable swop and that's how I like my music 👍
That's an interesting way to look at it. I'm always chasing a specific sound. It's Harman with additional upper treble extension (because I hear bass more than any other instrument, I like that mid-bass scoop to equalize things). So the more IEMs deviate from that, the less I'm going to listen to them. But I see your point. Do you use different sets for different genres?

Edit: I should mention the fit is definitely finicky for me. Xelastecs are the only tips that work for more than 30 minutes. With MS Xeleastecs, I can use them all day no prob.

Last edited:
May 4, 2022 at 11:20 AM Post #2,804 of 4,275
I know but i was asked by someone here to compare them.
Any thanks for doing so. I love my Timeless but when searching for something different it is nice to hear comparisons so thank you for that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back