$700 to spend on open cans + amp and don't know what I'm doing WOOO!!!!
Jul 26, 2010 at 12:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

earhole

New Head-Fier
Hi friendly forum folks. Long time admirer, first time poster, and pretty green as far as all things audiophile are concerned. Need a little help making my first major purchase decision. Here's the scoop:

I am willing to spend about $700 on headphone + amp. I would splurge on an even pricier investment, but fear that the nuances offered by higher end equipment would be lost on my unsophisticated ears and limited by my source. Otherwise, I would consider downing a fifth of whiskey, closing my eyes, gritting my teeth, and clicking "Add to Cart" on a pair of HD800s while my wallet lets out a soft groan. 

I have eclectic tastes, but listen primarily to rock and electronica. My music is in AAC format with bit rate ranging from 192 to 320 kbps. 

I currently have Grado SR60s and Sennheiser HD280s. I also just got M-Audio AV 40 speakers that I love. No amp, yet. I don't need a ton of bass but the SR60s and unamped HD280s aren't cutting it. I find the over-the-ear design of the Senns comfy and comfort is a priority.

I do not have roommates and will only be using these headphones at home so I am thinking open cans are ideal (open = better soundstage = better, right?)

I have been reading various threads, including http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/500672/introduction-and-buying-first-good-headphones, and currently have my eye on the Sennheiser HD600 or 650 and Matrix Mini-I or Nuforce Icon. I think a unit that serves as both DAC and amp that I can hook up to my Macbook via USB would be ideal. The Sennheiser seems pretty well received and is at the right price point, but I'm not sure if it is well suited to my music tastes. On the other hand, I know Grados are highly lauded as rock/guitar cans, but I also love synthesizers and I question how the comfort of Grados compare to high end Senns. 

Thank you, thank you, thank you in advance for responding to yet another "what should I get?" thread. You provide a valuable service to fellow music lovers! Hopefully one day I can also give back to the head-fi community. 

Jul 26, 2010 at 1:04 AM Post #2 of 7
Don't ask, just do it.  The longer you spend on here, the longer it'll take you to be happy. 

Jul 27, 2010 at 11:06 AM Post #3 of 7
I concur.  Go with your gut.  Plus, it sounds like you've already done some serious thinking about what would best suit you at this time.  

Unfortunately, most of these types of threads (asking for help making an initial decision about headphones) end up going around in circles and making the decision less easy than you thought.

Besides, the HD6x0 and Nuforce sound like excellent means with which to start your Head-Fi odyssey.  : ) 

Jul 27, 2010 at 11:17 AM Post #4 of 7
If the 800s are on your wish list and you have eclectic tastes, I suggest going the 'stat route.  For $700 (or close) you probably could get the following:

- Stax Lambda Pro (phones)
- Stax SRM-1/mk2 (amp)
- Parasound D/AC 1100 (DAC)

You would need to be patient and scour the various For Sale forums and sites, but this equipment is not rare.  To me, the above combo bests by a considerable margin most dynamic rigs at twice the price (and maybe more).  The obvious drawbacks are the lack of ready availability and the more specific requirements of 'stat gear.  But I think those drawbacks are outweighed by the dramatic sonic improvement.  Just something to consider.  Good luck.

Jul 27, 2010 at 11:52 AM Post #5 of 7
The Icon isn't a great headphone amp, in fact it's barely adequate as a home amp. Performs a lot like a portable, actually. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back