6SN7 Tube Addicts
Apr 4, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #3,391 of 7,413
If you like the GTB flavor, try the Hitachi 6SN7GTB's.

I like GTB's, Sylvania are very good, but I don't like GE 6SN7's much.
There is a version of GE 6SN7GTB's with a light bridge on top which look very good in the dark.

Apr 4, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #3,392 of 7,413
I believe I've heard (and may own) the Hitachi's in the GTB, they sound good. As does the ITT (Japan) in GTB bottles...

Apr 4, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #3,393 of 7,413
Quote:
If you like the GTB flavor, try the Hitachi 6SN7GTB's.

I like GTB's, Sylvania are very good, but I don't like GE 6SN7's much.
There is a version of GE 6SN7GTB's with a light bridge on top which look very good in the dark.

What's a good price on the Hitachis?  I found a pair for $81, seems a bit steep.  I blew so much money on 6922 variants when I had a Lyr that I really want to avoid that this go round. 

Apr 4, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #3,394 of 7,413
A nice Hitachi 6SN7GTB NIB pair costs $60 to $80.

Check the ITT too as SO mentioned.

Tube addiction is a serious ailment be very careful.........

Apr 4, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #3,395 of 7,413
Quote:

They look good but sadly they sound bad. 
tongue_smile.gif

GE tubes go from polite to boring to zippy and just plain bad the newer the vintage from my experience.  The oldest GTAs are actually pretty nice especially if you need to mellow out your system a bit.

For people who want to go straight to a good sound without spending a fortune and don't find joy in rolling I still stand behind the early 50's 6SN7GT TungSol with or without the mouse ears.  Unless the system is already too lit up in the upper mid and lower treble area these tubes are hard to beat for the price they go for.  The ultimate bargain tubes are probably the mid 50's Sylvania tri-plate GTBs.  No trouble finding a pair of these for $20 on eBay and they sound just fine.

Apr 4, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #3,396 of 7,413
The black plate "mouse ears" style are one of my all time favorites.
Good looks, rare, great sound, reasonably priced still. 
Be careful they suffer from base cracks, which don't affect the tube function but the price.

Xcalibur I think you meant Sylvania Triangular Bi-plates, very nice tubes indeed for the GTB lovers.

Apr 4, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #3,397 of 7,413
Indeed, I had a couple of pairs with base cracks.  That and they get mistaken for Russian tubes when they are the grey plate version, which is the one I send people looking for because they are cheaper and don't really sound any different as far as anybody can tell.  A tremendously resolving tube with big dynamics and maybe the best overall bass of any 6SN7 in the right circuit.  I have a crack free pair in mint original boxes I keep around just to have them even though I don't need 6SN7s in pairs anymore.

I have been meaning to try my Hitatchi GTB with the Beyers, I think the synergy would be good there but I've caught yet another cold and my ears are plugged up so everything sounds awful right now.  Will have to wait sadly.  I think maybe the Hytron GT might work really well too, though I have been extremely pleased with the sound the Beyers are giving from my favorite Sylvania GT before the cold got me.

Apr 4, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #3,398 of 7,413
The getter is the give away between the CCCP and US tubes.

The black plates are usually a much earlier production run and can sound better.
It's not a rule just an observation.

Apr 4, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #3,399 of 7,413
Quote:
I finally am done reading through this whole thread. I have a handle now on most of the 6sn7, except for the sylvanias. We need a list of all the different ones with pictures for reference, There kind of confusing. confused_face(1):

Yep, I am trying to figure out if at least 2 of these are real Chrome Domes or not:

I read that only the "real" chrome domes are a very specific year and then I get the impression that at least two of these should be...any help is appreciated!

Apr 4, 2013 at 8:18 AM Post #3,400 of 7,413
Who is to say what "real chrome domes" even means? That's not any sort of official, agreed upon designation.  

Those tubes in your photo are very nice.

Apr 4, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #3,401 of 7,413
Quote:
Who is to say what "real chrome domes" even means? That's not any sort of official, agreed upon designation.  

Those tubes in your photo are very nice.

Indeed.  It is just a nickname that was started in the information thread.  There is a lot of confusion over what tube it was even referring to.  From what I gather there was some sort of broad switch over sometime around 1953 to designs rated to GTA spec and these I personally perceive as being a bit inferior to the older ones, but there is so much variation within that short timespan one can never be certain.

My golden rule with Sylvania tubes has become getter appearance.  If the flashing has a "dirty" look rather than a "clean" look then it is desirable.

Apr 4, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #3,403 of 7,413
Longtime silent reader. Great thread!

I do not have a headphone rig anymore, mostly the big 2 ch Rig. Raised and acquired a pair of Sennheiser 424's in my youth, paired with dad's Knight tube amp and a beautiful Sherwood receiver the radio never sounded so good, and the Gerrard turntable really could sing. The 424's simply blew away any speaker I heard that dad or his friends had. Until I heard the big Infinity Ref sound powered by some monster amps, I have been chasing that tone ever since.

With that said, I have a deHavilland UltraVerve, paired with a nice Mundorf Silver Oil cap inside. I'm trying to sort out the Big tone 6SN7 sound in my rig.
I experimented with a NOS Tug Sol GTB and it sounds like every other Tung Sol I've tried with some subtle differences. Not really my sound...
I read the penultimate 40's Black Glass Round Plate is the one to capture. I'm hesitant as I can't trust that it does not have that some Tung Sol sound that I have, nice but just not what I'm want to live with long term.

I tried the Sylvania GTB, very nice sleeper tube. I luv the soundstage and musicality, but I gets a little ragged when pushed at the extreme top and bottom end. Never cared that much for the house Sylvania sound in 12au variants. But very nice in the 6SN7. So I'm hunting for the Metal Base W or the Short Bottle JAN CHS.
Any thoughts? Tastes, slighty warm side of neutral, sweet big tone midrange with detail. Top End smooth, not splashy highs,I and a very tight but firm bass region. I don't mind bloom but enjoy fast, detailed with wetness and reality. Classical, Down tempo chill, Bop Jazz, folk, new age.

Thanks for the help.

Apr 4, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #3,404 of 7,413
You pretty much described most of the better Sylvanias I would say.  Also, FWIW, the round plate tung sol and the 60's era GTB tung sols don't sound very much alike.  The former is most definitely a musical tube with a wet lilting quality few tubes have, the latter is technically competent but not inspiring in my opinion.  Round plates aren't sweet sounding like many Sylvanias are but they are organic and have unparalleled imaging abilities and 3D depth amongst all 6SN7s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back