6SN7 Tube Addicts
Apr 4, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #3,406 of 7,413
So, I am wanting to run some 6sn7's in my Woo WA6.
Needing the 8pin to 9pin adaptors that are correct for the amp.

Where are they available?

Thanks for any help!
smile.gif

Apr 4, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #3,407 of 7,413
Quote:
Thanks for the reply.
I have gleaned the thread here as well as others. Metal base or black W? Any preferences or qualities that can be described?

The metal base W is one of the few noteworthy Sylvanias I haven't owned.  They are one of the most highly regarded 6SN7 out there though and lots has been written about them.  I like the plastic base short glass W with the extra support rod, I have owned that type.  Very sweet sounding, almost too much depending upon the amp but it is a rich and musical sound.  I found the bass a little loose and they're not the last word in resolution but still on the good side. 

My personal favorite Sylvania is a tube I try not to send people looking for because they are very hard to tell apart from the average sounding GTA tubes that were made right after them and everybody seems to buy the wrong one by mistake.  It is an early 50's GT with an extremely heavy top getter flash that appears to cover basically the entire length of the glass almost down to the base.  The fringing of the flash usually has a dirty look to it like it is transitioning from the usual silver color to more of a smoked burn on the glass.  It hits all your preferences, including a very fast bass that is easily better than any other Sylvania tube I have heard, or any other 6SN7 for that matter aside from maybe the "mouse ear" Tung Sol GT which brings a bit more slam with its speed.  They are cleaner and less romantic sounding than the normal Sylvania signature sound with less note decay and very clearly defined space between notes but they still have all the musicality of a "lush" tube IMO.  Whenever I am not rolling tubes for fun this is the one that goes in the amp as the standard tube of choice.  I have one in my amp right now actually.

Apr 5, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #3,409 of 7,413
Quote:
Thanks for the reply.
I have gleaned the thread here as well as others. Metal base or black W? Any preferences or qualities that can be described?

First of all thanks for your kind comments.

If you get the Sylvania W metal base then you'll probably have the best Sylvania 6SN7 and most people would agree.
There is the same bottle in a black base which sounds very close to the metal base and much cheaper.
The metal base ones suffer form cracks, which will affect the price but not the sound.

I tried the Sylvania Xcalibur described but in my system and with my preferences it didn't beat one of my all time favorites the Sylvania W short base with the lower mica inside the base.

Quote:
So, I am wanting to run some 6sn7's in my Woo WA6.
Needing the 8pin to 9pin adaptors that are correct for the amp.

Where are they available?

Thanks for any help!
smile.gif

You can also ask 2359glenn he makes quality and reasonably priced adapters.

Apr 5, 2013 at 5:17 AM Post #3,410 of 7,413
Are these any good? These are the ones I mentioned a few posts back:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170994696516?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121078261738?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I'm keeping my hands out of the piggy bank for a few months. I'm saving toward replacement speakers which are still TBD while I window shop so no more tube impulse buys for me.

Apr 5, 2013 at 7:44 AM Post #3,411 of 7,413
Quote:

My personal favorite Sylvania is a tube I try not to send people looking for because they are very hard to tell apart from the average sounding GTA tubes that were made right after them and everybody seems to buy the wrong one by mistake.  It is an early 50's GT with an extremely heavy top getter flash that appears to cover basically the entire length of the glass almost down to the base.  The fringing of the flash usually has a dirty look to it like it is transitioning from the usual silver color to more of a smoked burn on the glass.  It hits all your preferences, including a very fast bass that is easily better than any other Sylvania tube I have heard, or any other 6SN7 for that matter aside from maybe the "mouse ear" Tung Sol GT which brings a bit more slam with its speed.  They are cleaner and less romantic sounding than the normal Sylvania signature sound with less note decay and very clearly defined space between notes but they still have all the musicality of a "lush" tube IMO.  Whenever I am not rolling tubes for fun this is the one that goes in the amp as the standard tube of choice.  I have one in my amp right now actually.

Tyrell, any pictures?

Apr 5, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #3,412 of 7,413
I created comparison pictures for this once, they are in my album:  http://www.head-fi.org/g/i/173154/tubes01-jpg/

Tube in question is far left, compared to the one that is second from the right with the "cleaner" looking getter flash.  That's the GTA style.  The other two are the 6SN7W short glass w/ support rod and the "Bad Boy"  GT.

Apr 5, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #3,413 of 7,413
Quote:
Are these any good? These are the ones I mentioned a few posts back:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170994696516?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121078261738?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I'm keeping my hands out of the piggy bank for a few months. I'm saving toward replacement speakers which are still TBD while I window shop so no more tube impulse buys for me.

First auction buyer overpaid if you ask me, the second auction buyer got a good deal if he was looking for the kind of sound those GE tubes offer.

Apr 5, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #3,414 of 7,413
Ugh, I was afraid of that.   So I overpaid on the first batch, but did OK on the second batch.  I guess it all evens out in the end.   

I'm still getting a feel for the 6SN7 market, and I guess I'm bound to overpay for a couple of things until I understand the pricing a little better.   At least it wasn't a $200 mistake.

Can you perhaps recommend a couple of good value tubes?   I don't really want to pay more than $40 a set.   Looking for balanced sound, tight low end & highs which are not grainy or bright.  My amp has great mids but can probably use a little push on the top and bottom?   I'm using Amperex JAN CEP 6922s in the input stage.

Apr 5, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #3,415 of 7,413
Honestly I would try out the Sylvanias you already bought, they might give you what you're looking for.  You can get them cheaper than the price you paid but they are still good tubes.  Sometimes the price is determined by rarity, not necessarily by how good it is.  Some of the tubes that go for high prices I think are pretty mediocre.  There's nothing wrong with the Sylvanias you bought so give them a spin before spending more.

Apr 5, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #3,416 of 7,413
I've actually never heard a Sylvania 6SN7 of any variety that I didn't think sounded at least pretty good. Some are pretty great, IMO, like the 6SN7WGT, and the 6SN7W tall bottle but black (not metal) base. The metal base 6SN7W is very nice too but I think costs too much. The VT-231 is very nice too.

But even a runof the mill Sylvania 6SN7GTB sounds pretty good to me.

Apr 6, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #3,417 of 7,413
Talking about rare tubes, what about a Tung-Sol 6SN7 with Mouse Ears and top getter?

Apr 6, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #3,420 of 7,413
Wow Stavros that IS a rare one! Wow. Cool!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back