6SN7 Tube Addicts
Nov 28, 2012 at 2:50 AM Post #2,881 of 7,413
Sid-Fi the Psvane CV181-T is not an ECC32 (Military Code CV181) as the designation might suggest.

The TS 6SN7GT Black Glass Round Plates are a "classic" tube but very expensive.

SO's price is very fair, and a burgain for a good testing pair.

Nov 28, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #2,882 of 7,413
Thanks rosgr63.

I am considering the Psvane CV-181 to be a 6SN7 tube. I am still interested in it based on the history and seemingly good impressions of the Treasure tube it is related to. Do you have a general impression on the tube? The premium ones are pretty steep at $250 a pair, but they are extremely closely matched etc.

I'm considering the TS BGRP, but the $300+ range for used tubes is a little hard to swallow/justify. Even the $250 price tag on new tubes is close to my limit for now anyway.

I have been pretty happy with my main tubes - Sylvania 6SN7GTA short bottle chrome top, and RCA VT-231 smoke glass - but each feels like it is missing something, which becomes distracting. The Sylvania is warm and enganging with really nice treble performance, but has a somewhat small/lean sound with my Sophia Princess mesh plate rectifier and lacks just a touch of energy/engagement. With my United Electronics 596 recitifier, it is extremely lean with almost non-existent bass and does not mesh with it well at all.

The RCA smoke glass has an extremely engaging full sound with lush mids and full bass with my 596, but seems to accomplish this by emphasizing bass and mid regions while dulling highs that left a void after the initial wow period passed. With the Sophia Princess, it doesn't go quite as well and I prefer the Sylvania with that rectifier.

In other words, each tube excels with one of the rectifiers. Each has great strengths in many areas, but one weakness that is distracting based on my HD 650s with Moon Audio Silver Dragon balanced headphone cables and interconnects. It's a very engaging headphone, but its hard to find the right synergy for a more balanced and well-rounded presentation I am looking for.

Any recommendations considering all of this? :O

Sid-Fi the Psvane CV181-T is not an ECC32 (Military Code CV181) as the designation might suggest.

The TS 6SN7GT Black Glass Round Plates are a "classic" tube but very expensive.

SO's price is very fair, and a burgain for a good testing pair.

Nov 28, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #2,883 of 7,413
I have tried the Treasures and I would be surprised if you liked them more than the RCA VT231s.  I am using LCD-3s so I can't comment on their synergy with HD-650s.  My comments are more general than specific to the tubes' use.

If I were you I would try out other vintage tubes before buying new production.  JMO.

Nov 28, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #2,884 of 7,413
I am with David.

I don't like any of the new production tubes I have tried so far but I have not tried the Psvane so I can't comment sorry.

I am biased against new product so my opinion should not count.

I can suggest the Tung-Sol 12SN7 Black Glass Round Plates, the 12V version  that is, with Glenn's 12SN7 to 6SN7 adapter.

David this is a sane hobby for crazy people.
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 28, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #2,886 of 7,413
Yes, but the real classic is the 6SN7.

I would personally save money and buy the 6SN7's, if nothing else they hold their value very well and you don't rely on a voltage doubler.

Unless of course your amp has a 12V option like mine built by Glenn

Nov 28, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #2,887 of 7,413
Sid-Fi, try this type of Sylvania tube:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/A4823-SYLVANIA-6SN7GT-BAD-BOY-BALANCED-SHIP-US-3-29-Internat-7-68-/200847490551?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item2ec3717df7

That tube is my favorite of all the Sylvanias, better than the "Bad Boys" in my opinion.  The seller is calling that tube a bad boy and he's wrong by the way.  The getter flash has to cover almost the entire tube and it needs to have a short base that exposes the bottom mica, otherwise you're getting a GTA tube like the one you have now.  These have their own sound that is different from the other Sylvanias.  It is full bodied like a Bad Boy but has the sense of transparency and fast dynamics of a TS BGRP.  These are not on a lot of people's radars because they get mistaken for GTA tubes.  I have GTAs that look very similar with the same plates, they don't sound nearly as good as this tube.

This might take the things you like about both of your current tubes and marry them to provide some tube bliss.

Nov 28, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #2,888 of 7,413
Thanks Xcalibur, that sounds enticing! I appreciate the link. Now to find a pair together.

So these are just called 6SN7 GT with no other distinction? It seems there are so many variations of Sylvania 6SN7, and that's before even knowing about this one.

Thanks again!

Sid-Fi, try this type of Sylvania tube:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/A4823-SYLVANIA-6SN7GT-BAD-BOY-BALANCED-SHIP-US-3-29-Internat-7-68-/200847490551?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item2ec3717df7

That tube is my favorite of all the Sylvanias, better than the "Bad Boys" in my opinion.  The seller is calling that tube a bad boy and he's wrong by the way.  The getter flash has to cover almost the entire tube and it needs to have a short base that exposes the bottom mica, otherwise you're getting a GTA tube like the one you have now.  These have their own sound that is different from the other Sylvanias.  It is full bodied like a Bad Boy but has the sense of transparency and fast dynamics of a TS BGRP.  These are not on a lot of people's radars because they get mistaken for GTA tubes.  I have GTAs that look very similar with the same plates, they don't sound nearly as good as this tube.

This might take the things you like about both of your current tubes and marry them to provide some tube bliss.

Nov 29, 2012 at 8:49 AM Post #2,890 of 7,413
That is a very nice tube.  My only dislike for it is that it is bass light, or at least has been in my setup.  Very clean sounding tube though.

Nov 29, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #2,891 of 7,413
That's definitely the main issue with my Sylvania GTA and many of the other variations from what I have read. That's also precisely why I keep wanting to try something else since my RCA VT-231 is fantastic, but comes across as a little recessed in the highs in my setup. They are both great, but I don't want to keep observing an unbalanced frequency response while listening. I find that it distracts me and makes my listening sessions a little less immersive.
Quote:
That is a very nice tube.  My only dislike for it is that it is bass light, or at least has been in my setup.  Very clean sounding tube though.

Nov 29, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #2,892 of 7,413
Quote:

Bass is great in my setup.  One of the reasons I like it over other Sylvania tubes is that it has better drive.  It is no bass monster, but it's clean and fast and hits when it needs to.

Nov 29, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #2,893 of 7,413
No doubt that it is all about synergy with the other electronics in the specific component and the other components.

Are you using it in your Glenn OTL HP amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back