6SN7 Tube Addicts
Nov 12, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #2,866 of 7,413
Those metal base 6sn7w sure sounds great.  Brought a pair last week to compare against another top 6sn7, TS round plate oval mica vt-231.  It better than the TS in my opinion.  The TS was in no way weak, it just that the Sylvania was better all around.  Specially in the low end.  The TS lacked bass period.  The 6sn7w was so good that I decided to get another pair. 

Nov 12, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #2,867 of 7,413
Quote:
Hi.
Are there significant differences in sound between these tubes: Sylvania 6SN7W; Sylvania 6SN7W (Tall Bottle)?

The middle and right example are both apples from the same tree.  They do have some differences, but are pretty similar overall.  The metal base are highly prized tubes, though I think the wise shopper would pursue the plastic base one because the prices are less crazy and they are nearly as good.  They're some of the best 6SN7 tubes ever made, Sylvania or not. 

The tube on the left is different design and construction from a later period and sounds pretty different from the other two IMO.  Nice sounding but not special like the metal base is.  I would not pay triple digit prices for a pair of those myself.  I mention this because some sellers certainly try to charge that much because they are "W" tubes.

Nov 13, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #2,868 of 7,413
Actually I like the short bottle shown on the left, but there are variants of it, the ones where the lower mica is inside the base been my favourite.

I thought they were of the same WWII era, but Xcalibur is the US tube guru and knows better than me.

Nov 13, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #2,869 of 7,413
Quote:
 Xcalibur is the US tube guru and knows better than me.

I doubt it. 
tongue_smile.gif

You are quite right too, there are a couple of variations of the short bottle too.  I own an example of the best seen and known type.  I don't dislike them, in fact they sound quite good in the OTL but I think my "under the radar" Sylvania tubes that I've talked about at length here in the past are superior in every category you could bring up.  That's just my personal opinion of course.

Nov 21, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #2,870 of 7,413
Quiet around here...

I'm currently listening to Vivaldi's Four Seasons by Seiji Ozawa and the Boston Symphony Orchestra (on Telarc; a superb recording).

The tubes in the amp are a Tung-Sol flat-plate 6F8G and a GEC 6080WA. The tubes are not phenomenal, just solid, but the music is spectacular.

Don't forget to listen to the music, guys!

Nov 21, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #2,871 of 7,413
Absolutely! I have my moments where I'll profile something in the audio chain of events. But, I never forget to enjoy the event.

Nov 22, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #2,872 of 7,413
I have been to busy testing my Glenn OTL 6SN7/12SN7/LP2/5998 amp.

One of my favorite tubes so far is the FIVRE 6SN7 Brown Base Grey Plates driving a pair of Raytheon 6AS7G Black Plates.

I want to try the Black Base version with some TS 5998 next.

Listening to Sade Ultimate Hits, the music is so good I forget to roll.

Nov 22, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #2,873 of 7,413
Happy Thanksgiving to ALL!

Nov 22, 2012 at 2:50 AM Post #2,874 of 7,413
Quote:
I have been to busy testing my Glenn OTL 6SN7/12SN7/LP2/5998 amp.

One of my favorite tubes so far is the FIVRE 6SN7 Brown Base Grey Plates driving a pair of Raytheon 6AS7G Black Plates.

I want to try the Black Base version with some TS 5998 next.

Listening to Sade Ultimate Hits, the music is so good I forget to roll.

Sade? 
smiley_thumb.gif
 Hey, I'm with you...in spirit! By chance, did you ever see her performance in the all British cast musical "Absolute Beginners"? (Athene Duncannon - Jazz singer in a smokey nightclub...was there ever any doubt what role she'd play?
rolleyes.gif

biggrin.gif
)

Nov 22, 2012 at 5:33 AM Post #2,875 of 7,413
Quote:

Sade? 
smiley_thumb.gif
 Hey, I'm with you...in spirit! By chance, did you ever see her performance in the all British cast musical "Absolute Beginners"? (Athene Duncannon - Jazz singer in a smokey nightclub...was there ever any doubt what role she'd play?
rolleyes.gif

biggrin.gif
)

Sorry I haven't seen it, but it sounds good.

Nov 22, 2012 at 5:45 AM Post #2,876 of 7,413
Quote:
Quote:

Sade? 
smiley_thumb.gif
rolleyes.gif

biggrin.gif
)

Sorry I haven't seen it, but it sounds good.

On DVD. David Bowie a few other famous Brits are in there as well...

Nov 22, 2012 at 5:51 AM Post #2,877 of 7,413
Now you are showing up my age!

Rebel by David Bowie brings back lots of memories!

Nov 22, 2012 at 5:58 AM Post #2,878 of 7,413
Just fired up the rig for a brief session. Maybe 90-120 minutes. Very sleepy and rising early. But then, knowing me, I'll play some grooves that sound good and will be wide awake! Playing digital files this morning, vinyl to come later tonight.

USAF-596; TS-5998s; TS-BGRP VT-231.

Nov 28, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #2,879 of 7,413
Has anyone checked out the Psvane CV181-T? I'm thinking of getting a premium pair through Grant Fidelity and would appreciate any impressions and descriptions of their sound signature. Also debating getting a pair of tried and true TS BGRP. Both are pricey, the latter seems more established.

Here is the link for the Psvane...
http://psvanetube.com/wordpress/store/products/cv181-t-6sn7-pair/

I am considering www.vacuumtubes.net for thenTung Sol BGRP. My concern there is the description is very vague and doesn't include vintage year etc. My only purchase from their was legit NOS though. They list the BGRP for $125 each. Anyone know if these are the legit versions?

Nov 28, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #2,880 of 7,413
They're likely used at that price, which is ok. Get the numbers and see how they test. I found them to be fair cats the past couple of years over there. I'll be looking to move my own matched pair (used) soon. Somewhere between $320-$345, depending on my test results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back