6SN7 Tube Addicts
Aug 31, 2010 at 9:50 AM Post #421 of 7,413
musicman59 are the 6F8G electrically the same as the 6SN7?

Aug 31, 2010 at 11:09 AM Post #423 of 7,413

Quote:
I bought a pair of Tungsol black glass/round plates 6SN7GT and a pair of Tungsol black glass/round plates 6F8G with adapters. I have been using them in my WA5-LE as drivers. The 6SN7 is very polite with nice soundstage but a little bit thing in the bass section. It does great with acoustinc music or music with a lot of midrange. I found the 6F8G a lot more dynamic with the same characteristics in the nidrange and higs as the 6SN7 but with a lot more authority in the bass section. The 6F9G not only sound better to my ears and with the type of music I listen to (Pop, light rock) but at 35% of the price of the 6SN7 they are a total bargain.

Finally someone get the right picture here. But since price of 6F8G has risen so much, they are not diamond in the rough anymore.

Aug 31, 2010 at 11:20 AM Post #425 of 7,413
Xcalibur255 thanks so much for the info.  I'm surprised how similar your experience is with mine!  Almost makes me believe that "hifi" is real!  

I hadn't experienced any "tube like euphoria" and had been concerned about dynamics and it sounds like I ought to consider rolling in another tube to perhaps change things around for fun.

Best

FA

Aug 31, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #426 of 7,413
Seamaster that means an adapter with a top tap would make the 6F8G a direct replacement right?

Aug 31, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #428 of 7,413
Are these original British or Russian made but branded British?
I have an original all black, glass and base but never tried it yet.

Aug 31, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #429 of 7,413
I dont know, maybe it is an fake one, but the one you mean is the one on the left, right?

I like Mullards and can imagine the differences between them and CV1988, where I expect Mullards to be more warmish and having better mids, but thats my guess only, any idea?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Quote:
Are these original British or Russian made but branded British?
I have an original all black, glass and base but never tried it yet.

Aug 31, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #431 of 7,413
Quote:
You may want to give them more time,  leave the amp plugged in over the weekend. 

Quote:
I agree with Regal!  Give the KenRads at least 24 hours to cook.  60 year old tubes need some serious wake-up time to sound their best.

I put about 40hrs on the Ken Rads so far and they still sound off. Vocals are too mixed into the music and are unrefined, the treble is cold, and the mids seem overpowered by the bass. The biggest let down is the warmth, or rather I should say lack of warmth. They have a lot of great qualities but overall they aren't emotional enough for me to be happy. Now I'm questioning going for some bad boys, or grey glass. I can't seem to find out if the bad boys are actually warm though, and not just very sweet. Can anyone confirm this?

Aug 31, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #432 of 7,413
I don't think of the Bad Boys as warm.  If you want warmth most of all, then I suggest the RCA grey-glass.

Aug 31, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #433 of 7,413
I would've been all set to offer a direct comparison between the bad boys and the rca greyglass, but my just arrived bad boys are not in working order sadly.  The tubes themselves are both functioning, one of them just doesn't like my socket adapters.

Sep 1, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #434 of 7,413

Quote:
I dont know, maybe it is an fake one, but the one you mean is the one on the left, right?

I like Mullards and can imagine the differences between them and CV1988, where I expect Mullards to be more warmish and having better mids, but thats my guess only, any idea?

No it isn't, it has some markings on the base, it's a rare one that's why I don't use it.
I have some Mullard ECC33 which have the best mids I've heard so far, one of my favorite tubes.
The Brimar B65 with brown base are relatively cheap and with nice mids.

Sep 1, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #435 of 7,413

Users who are viewing this thread

Back