6SN7 Tube Addicts
Sep 1, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #436 of 7,413

The only ECC33 Mullard I could find is the one with yellow print on the glass with black base, but not sure if this tube is direct replacement for 6SN7.

Would that be to much trouble for you to post a pic of your Mullards pls. Right now I can get CV1988 or almost same looking 6SN7GT Black base with print on it, black coated long glass, however I am not in the mood to experimenting really, cos these guys arent cheap, here we go

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Quote:
No it isn't, it has some markings on the base, it's a rare one that's why I don't use it.
I have some Mullard ECC33 which have the best mids I've heard so far, one of my favorite tubes.
The Brimar B65 with brown base are relatively cheap and with nice mids.

Sep 1, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #437 of 7,413
What you have there is a Mullard ECC32 which is not a direct replacement.
The ECC33 has white writting and is a direct replacement.
I'll post some photos later on.

Sep 1, 2010 at 9:03 AM Post #438 of 7,413

This is the one!

Sep 1, 2010 at 9:11 AM Post #439 of 7,413
Thanks for the pic, isnt this tube looks like Brimar CV1988 or 6SN7GT from my last pic above?

Other than that, pretty rare print on base, truly collecting item:)

Sep 1, 2010 at 9:22 AM Post #440 of 7,413
It's a 6SN7GT the the print makes it rare, performance wise I wouldn't expect it's any different from the Brimar unless the number of supports etc is different.

Sep 1, 2010 at 9:36 AM Post #441 of 7,413
That tube with the yellow print that says "ECC32" is a fake of some sort, for sure.  There were absolutely no straight-bottle ECC32's.  That pic is so small I can;t see the plates well enough to tell what it really is, but it is NOT any form of ECC32 - someone just silk-screened that on there to try to rip someone off.

You have to look at the plates and getter - the internal construction of the tube - to know what you're really getting.  There are lots of people good at silkscreening.  But they can't fake what's inside.

Sep 5, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #442 of 7,413
I finally got my bad boys working (they're not quite what I expected but I'm not passing judgement until they break in), but I have a question for the knowledgeable folks here.  Upon close inspection the mica plates appear to have their bottom most layer beginning to separate, with a thin layer saggin down a bit.  Should I be concerned about this at all?  Also, I can hear something rattling inside one of them, but cannot locate anything loose inside the glass envelope.  Both tubes are functioning correctly, and I'm not noticing any tonal and volume abnormalities.  Just worried about over the longevity of the tubes after paying a lot for them.

Sep 5, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #443 of 7,413
Guys, are these some Russian or Chinees fakes, cos there is no other print on it than just that on glass. To me they look like Russians 6N8S, but than again, whats up with the printed code? Are they ever use 6SN7GT code on their valves?

Sep 5, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #444 of 7,413
Xcalibur sometimes rattling is not a problem, you may even get broken glass in some tubes and that's fine.

Blackmore, you can get some genuine 6SN7 cheap, fakes are not worth it.

Even re-issues are not as well made as the old tubes, the sections may not be balanced and they show leakage above 1MEG.

Sep 5, 2010 at 9:25 AM Post #446 of 7,413
Sergei, those are absolutely Russian tubes. 

Sep 5, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #447 of 7,413
With only about 4 hours on them the Bad Boy Sylvanias already sound wicked good.  This tube's reputation is well deserved.  This tube was made for the K701 headphones.  It plays to all of its strengths while masking its weaknesses.  Well, with one exception..... they seem to exacerbate the odd sensation of having three blobs for a soundstage (left, center right) with nothing in the spaces between sometimes. 

Oh?  And what's this?  Bass?  On my K701s?  Well, it's a pleasure to finally meet you! 
biggrin.gif

Sep 7, 2010 at 3:33 AM Post #448 of 7,413
Just curious, what is the differences in sound that two tubes that both test good but one test high and the other test a lot lower. Will the one that test stronger sound louder or will there be any other differences?

Sep 7, 2010 at 4:45 AM Post #449 of 7,413
I may be wrong, but most important that the tube doesnt have any shorts and is not microfonic. The rest, I believe, doesnt make any difference, however we are talking about both strong tested tubes, where one is just less strong than another.

I had a quad of NOS GEC KT88 where one was on his last days, so I thought, but I never had any problems with it. Another good example were NOS 6550 TUNG SOLS with black smooth plates, man, these sound great even they are weak tested, so, maybe it depends on tube type and brand, can be, but I am not sure of it.

Quote:
Just curious, what is the differences in sound that two tubes that both test good but one test high and the other test a lot lower. Will the one that test stronger sound louder or will there be any other differences?

Sep 7, 2010 at 12:43 PM Post #450 of 7,413
With an unbalanced 6SN7 driver where the two sections were good but different I couldn't notice any difference.
However with a week Mullard 6080 and a strong Brimar 6080 as Power Tubes the unbalance and SQ differences were obvious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back