6SN7 Tube Addicts
Aug 13, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #391 of 7,413

Quote:
And I remember some folks complaining that RCA does not have bass :p  

As of tonight you can count me as one of them. 
k701smile.gif
  They aren't really weak down there, but the bass never stands out with these tubes.  At least not with anything I've listened to so far.  It gets a bit noticeable at the very low end but that is because the sound is becoming loose and tubby unfortunately.

Aug 13, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #392 of 7,413

To me there is no contest the Ken-Rads have a full warm but punchy bass,  the RCA tend to be just punchy and a bit annoyingly sharp especially in the mid-bass.

Quote:
Question, How big is the bass difference between RCA grey glass and Ken Rad black glass? I'm bidding on both at the moment, leaning more towards the Ken Rads because of their low end. However, I'm torn because I don't have the money to buy both of the bidding gets intense. Could anyone who has listened to both elaborate on the most prominent differences between the two? What I'm trying to avoid is being on the fence, then coming out not winning either. 

Aug 21, 2010 at 6:26 AM Post #393 of 7,413
Anyone buy older tubes like these should pick up a bottle of the Deoxit cleaner and the deoxit gold oil,   these products savalged several tubes I had that were noisy to dead cquiet after the cleaning,  works much better than a pencil eraser.

Aug 21, 2010 at 7:40 AM Post #394 of 7,413
The Deoxit is a must for me.
Sometimes I use Flitz with wire wool or cotton bud, then alcohol and the final coat is always Deoxit Gold.

Aug 21, 2010 at 9:26 AM Post #396 of 7,413
Absolutely - the pins must be cleaned well before they go in my amps!

Aug 21, 2010 at 9:39 AM Post #397 of 7,413
Quote:
I'm just glad you guys pointed this stuff out to me has paid for itself several times over.   What is Fitz?

Flitz is a cleaning agent, in liquid or paste form and the results are excellent.
I use the paste.
regal I thought you used it for your Buick!

Aug 21, 2010 at 1:06 PM Post #399 of 7,413
Hello Danny,

That's the one, highly recommended.

My procedure is like this:
1.Clean the pins with cotton buds dipped in methanol.
2.Treat with Deoxit D
3.After an hour or so treat with Deoxit Gold

For rusty pins I use Flitz applied with a cotton bud or wire wool and then I clean with methanol before the final coat of Deoxit Gold.

Some times I use silclear for my LD tube pins.

Needles to say I always check old tubes with my refurbished and calibrated tube tester first before I run them on my amp.

No 6SN7 goes on the BA unless is run on the SP for a couple of hours first.

Aug 21, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #401 of 7,413
The Flitz web site is a joke.
They state shipping etc to so many destinations but when you go through the steps you find out they don't.
emailed them a few times and still waiting for a reply.
It's been a long wait!

Aug 21, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #402 of 7,413

Quote:
Hello Danny,

That's the one, highly recommended.

My procedure is like this:
1.Clean the pins with cotton buds dipped in methanol.
2.Treat with Deoxit D
3.After an hour or so treat with Deoxit Gold

For rusty pins I use Flitz applied with a cotton bud or wire wool and then I clean with methanol before the final coat of Deoxit Gold.

Some times I use silclear for my LD tube pins.

Needles to say I always check old tubes with my refurbished and calibrated tube tester first before I run them on my amp.

No 6SN7 goes on the BA unless is run on the SP for a couple of hours first.

Great, I use SilClear also, usually some ballpen eraser to rub the pins then clean it up with a brush then SilClear. It's a good contact paste with tubes and any other plugs etc. I'll try to find some Flitz in the hardware stores locally, thansk Stavros.

But why wait an hour to treat the Deoxit Gold after the Deoxit D?

Aug 21, 2010 at 1:47 PM Post #403 of 7,413
Hi Danny,

Only so that Deoxit D dries well first.

Do you use silclear on your W22 tubes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back