6SN7 Tube Addicts
Jul 13, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #361 of 7,413
The amp is unmodified/stock as I have no skills in that regard.  The K701 is indeed the primary use headphone.  I feel like I've actually come somewhat close to what I want to hear with the rare black plate 6FD7 tubes I have for the amp, but I would like to get a little closer if possible.  New headphones are just not possible right now so I'm trying to make the best of what I have, hence the $100 maximum spending limit and desire to purchase only one set of tubes.  Further down the road I'll be looking at other headphones.  I've looked into the Beyer T1 extensively, along with the LCD-2 (some of you have probably seen me post in those threads), but finances are very bad for me right now and I can't consider either one this year or possibly even next year now.

I just moved into an apartment and have now lost the use of my home theater system so the Woo is my only means of enjoying music now.  For certain things, especially piano music, it just does not pull me into the music the way my speaker based system could so I'm trying to do what I can with it under limited financial means.

Any tube advice you can send my way is appreciated very much.  If I blow $100 on a pair of tubes and don't like them then I'm finished and will just have to make do with how the amp sounds now.

Jul 13, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #362 of 7,413

Quote:
Have you ever used the K701 with a different amp?  Headphones such as the K701 can be very polarizing and many don't like them outside of classical / jazz music.

I felt the WA6/K701 combo was an improvement over the CIA VHP2 I was using them with before.  They sound clinical and sterile to the point of being awful on SS amps, the WA6 improved that situation to "okay" for the most part but I have trouble with harshness and sibilance.  I'm basically stuck with them right now.  The HD650 would very likely fix my issues until I was ready to move upstream in performance but I just can't afford them now sadly.

Jul 13, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #363 of 7,413

Quote:
Quote:

Umm I'm not entirely sure to be honest. Glenn said he would try to find caps that will fit but I'm not sure what he ended up doing. I think if anything tube wise, I'd look for another pair of 6sn7 that are warm/bassy. I'd rather not have to buy more adapters.

it's not a problem at all. bypassing only makes sense if you don't like what you're getting
out of the the adapter now in the highs. warm and bassy is what the rca 6sn7gt will sound like, as well as the english brimar cv1988 6sn7. they can be quite expensive if you want a genuine NOS, but even used ones can sound great.

Jul 13, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #364 of 7,413

Quote:
The amp is unmodified/stock as I have no skills in that regard.  The K701 is indeed the primary use headphone.  I feel like I've actually come somewhat close to what I want to hear with the rare black plate 6FD7 tubes I have for the amp, but I would like to get a little closer if possible.  New headphones are just not possible right now so I'm trying to make the best of what I have, hence the $100 maximum spending limit and desire to purchase only one set of tubes.  Further down the road I'll be looking at other headphones.  I've looked into the Beyer T1 extensively, along with the LCD-2 (some of you have probably seen me post in those threads), but finances are very bad for me right now and I can't consider either one this year or possibly even next year now.

I just moved into an apartment and have now lost the use of my home theater system so the Woo is my only means of enjoying music now.  For certain things, especially piano music, it just does not pull me into the music the way my speaker based system could so I'm trying to do what I can with it under limited financial means.

Any tube advice you can send my way is appreciated very much.  If I blow $100 on a pair of tubes and don't like them then I'm finished and will just have to make do with how the amp sounds now.

have you tried the english version of the 5v4g rectifier.. the GZ32? it has a subtle warm
tone that may tame the highs of the 701. the american 5v4g is the opposite; it accentuates
the peaks in the highs, so avoid those. (rectifiers do impart their own sound characteristics
especially when driven at lower voltages, as the wa6 does, around 180volts.)
also, the older 6ew7 and 6de7 and 6dr7 can sound very balanced. the older ones can
be identified by the "horse-shoe-shaped" getters on top. these are from the mid 60's
and generally less bright/edgier than the 70's/80's type. the 6fd7's are all from the 70's
and 80's, so you won't find any from the 60's.

Jul 14, 2010 at 1:47 AM Post #365 of 7,413
I have an RCA 6FD7 dated from around 1960 actually.  It has a different plate structure than any other 6FD7 tube I have seen and sounds much, much better.  They are apparently very rare so I've turned to the 6SN7 because they at least are readily available and to be honest I just wanted to know what all the fuss was about too after reading this thread for a while.  I did consider the Mullard GZ32 for the rectifier socket, but for the price NOS ones go for I can get an EML 274B which is my long term plan for the amp anyway, and I feel the soundstage of the GZ32/5V4G is just too small for my tastes unfortunately. 

I'd love to grab a single good pair of 6SN7 tubes for the amp and was hoping for some guidance on that front.  Perhaps I'm already on the right track with the RCA tubes I picked up.  Maybe seeking out an older late 40's 6SN7GT greyglass would be a good idea, rather than the newer 6SN7GTB I have right now?

Jul 14, 2010 at 10:35 AM Post #366 of 7,413
experimenting with 6sn7 types can be very expensive. i've over 40 pairs and even
the same brand names can give different tonal balance. try the tungsol vt-231 with
the square plates. it's very balanced and not very noisy. it may not be as coveted
as the roundplate version but i think they are great bargains. good luck.

Jul 14, 2010 at 12:46 PM Post #367 of 7,413
I would also recommend the Tung Sol mouse ears.

Jul 14, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #369 of 7,413
Just recently compared Sophia's to Bad boys, RCA GT, Sylvania GTB chrome top and to my ears Sophia tubes exceed them all, so I highly recommend them, simply great valve. Seems that they took everything good from every possible NOS and put all together in one. I use them with Princess 300B Mesh plates and the match is excellent.

Jul 14, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #370 of 7,413

Quote:
Thanks.  The mouse ears seem like a safe bet.  Just to clarify, the mouse ears are a t-plate tube, and not the same thing as the square plate correct?

t-plate are sometimes referred to as box plates. the square flat plates usually
have the ladder-like imprint on the plates. i believe all tungsol vt-231 tubes are
grey or black t-plates; with the exception being the roundplates.

Jul 14, 2010 at 10:52 PM Post #371 of 7,413

Quote:
t-plate are sometimes referred to as box plates. the square flat plates usually
have the ladder-like imprint on the plates. i believe all tungsol vt-231 tubes are
grey or black t-plates; with the exception being the roundplates.

Thanks.  This is very helpful information.  Knowing how costly this can get I'm not out to experiment, I just want to try to find one nice pair of tubes.  If I end up unsatisfied I'm not going to pursue it further for the time being.

Jul 14, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #372 of 7,413

Quote:
Just recently compared Sophia's to Bad boys, RCA GT, Sylvania GTB chrome top and to my ears Sophia tubes exceed them all, so I highly recommend them, simply great valve. Seems that they took everything good from every possible NOS and put all together in one. I use them with Princess 300B Mesh plates and the match is excellent.

I actually asked this question quite a while ago, whether the Sophia 6SN7 was a good tube to consider, and I was basically told they are okay but not worth their asking price.  You seem to be impressed with them on the other hand.  How would you describe their sound, tonally and in terms of resolution and PRAT?

Jul 15, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #373 of 7,413
As we all know, tubes behaviour is not the same in differ amps, so, thats why some folks just dont think they are worth it, but also the fact that the cups are doing the most job and tubes adjust the tonality have to be mentioned, so the match between two is crusial, imo.

Anyway, as for the sound, I would describe them as spacey or would I say they have the opennes that others can only dream of it, but it doesnt have any bad influence on the rest. Compare to bad boys they have better clarity, placing of instruments and image, extention and the voice reproduction, all sounds more natural, but also neutral, cos bad boys are to colored and during some moments making a mess of it. They also compressed in comparison, but sound very smooth, but not just creamy, it just like you taste the cream only with no coffee in it. I used JAN WGTA Sylvania, brown base, O getter on top with green print on glass as an drive and bad boys in pre section. WGTA's are from 1971, but not sure about Bad boys.

About RCA's I would say the to much of the richness that bad boys have, these dont have it at all and the whole picture is like chilly. They are neutral, but the mids are pretty not there, where the bass is good. They also have kind of compressed, but also distand presentation. The presense of emptyness doesnt make the total picture fully enjoyable either. The drive tube was WGTA Sylvania.

The last, but not least were 1x GTA and 2x GTB from Sylvania with chrome dom. I used GTA as a drive and GTB's in pre section. Well, these are closest to Sophia signature, very good sounding one. Their tonality is way more ballanced than from others I tried, but also the whole picture is just good, however I found them, just slightly, provocating on top comparing to Sophia's, but also slightly mellow/softer with bass, but all by all, very nice and I believe not that expensive tubes.

Conclusion: the most tubes missing the truly ballance and openness that Sophia's are offering, but also the tight and detailed bass is clearly better.

Jul 15, 2010 at 3:39 AM Post #374 of 7,413
The RCAs pictured look exactly like the ones I picked up.  I'm looking forward to hearing them when the adapters arrive actually, because it will establish expectations and a baseline.  After doing a ton of reading I think I'm looking for either an early TungSol grey box plate or a 1940's RCA greyglass tube.  Assuming I can find either for the right price.  The Sophias are $100 per tube which is too rich for my blood.

Jul 15, 2010 at 5:14 AM Post #375 of 7,413
I believe I have had one RCA Grey glass, but thats not enough, cos need 3 of them, so I sold it, are they special, any pics pls? I always ask for pics because its the best way to see what ever folks are talking about, even you can find it online, you still not sure if its the right one, at least with some tubes it is.

You can buy Sophias for USD 60 each so called grade C or even from the factory bulk for USD 50, but you have to buy 10 at least. Anyway, from my limited 6SN7 expirience I getting the same feeling as with all other types I ever rolled, called hype, where some indeed rare and good, but others just like any other one.

Just wonder if anyone tried NOS TESLA's 6CC1, which are similar to 6SN7, I believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back