6SN7 Tube Addicts
Aug 15, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #6,196 of 7,413
Whew. I was concerned it may have been a counterfeit. The seller posted and sold it as a GT, so the price was not that of a typical W. And yes. that is a 5 on the etching.

Once again -- many thanks!!

Aug 21, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #6,199 of 7,413
This question might have been asked before, but is there any difference between a clear and black glass Kenrad vt-231? Also, I found one black glass that is branded US NAVY CKR-6SN7GT, date code E3, is this the same as vt-231? Thanks!

Aug 21, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #6,200 of 7,413
The correct answer is yes and no. :)

GE purchased Ken-Rad's tube operation in January, 1945, and naturally, over time, changes were made.

The original war-time Ken-Rad 6SN7 had what are often described as "staggered plates." That is, the parallel ladder plates are installed at an angle relative to the top and bottom micas. The black glass version and clear glass version with this construction sound the same. In the later GE-influenced version, the plates are installed inline with the top and bottom micas. These sound different and many believe inferior to the originals.

What is printed on the base is of no real importance. Look for staggered plates.

Clear glass, staggered plates

2018-08-21 12.05.49.jpg

These two threads can be very helpful:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-reference-6sn7-thread.117677/

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-6sn7-identification-guide.209782/

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2018 at 11:13 PM Post #6,201 of 7,413
To my knowledge, there are only the three standard versions of the Sylvania 6SN7W, two tall bottles, with metal or plastic bases, and the small bottle. Sometimes you will see one of these labeled as 6SN7A, but it is the exact same tube. Unfortunately for those of us who can run 12 volt tubes, Sylvania did not make a 12SN7W. However, there are rebrands. I have in my collection a metal-based Philco and a metal-based Delco. Good luck in your hunt! :)
True. :)

Aug 22, 2018 at 11:14 PM Post #6,202 of 7,413
The correct answer is yes and no. :)

GE purchased Ken-Rad's tube operation in January, 1945, and naturally, over time, changes were made.

The original war-time Ken-Rad 6SN7 had what are often described as "staggered plates." That is, the parallel ladder plates are installed at an angle relative to the top and bottom micas. The black glass version and clear glass version with this construction sound the same. In the later GE-influenced version, the plates are installed inline with the top and bottom micas. These sound different and many believe inferior to the originals.

What is printed on the base is of no real importance. Look for staggered plates.

Clear glass, staggered plates

These two threads can be very helpful:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-reference-6sn7-thread.117677/

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-6sn7-identification-guide.209782/
True. :)

None-staggered = GE 6SN7GT

Aug 29, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #6,204 of 7,413
Got a pair of these today: NU 6SN7GT ( U.S. NAVY CNU 6SN7GT made in U.S.A. , GU both ), just warming them up. Looks like unused. Scratches on coating you see are inside, tubes itself are ok.
A tad microphonic when tapping harder to the top, very low noise floor except when choosing amps source when relay snaps and that echoes through from speakers very slightly.
Sound is very nice and balanced, need to burn them in for a while and then sit down to listen them ( preamp is Coplad CTA-301 mkII ).
Pair of Psvanes mentioned above are in mail, will get them later this/next week.

SOLD, 60€ pair.

NU 6SN7GT a.jpg 6SN7GT b.jpg 6SN7GT c.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2018 at 3:44 AM Post #6,206 of 7,413
Does anyone know if there are any MOV valves with a foil getter like sylvania? I have a 6SN7 marked gecovalve which should be MOV but the foil getter confuses me since I've only seen inverted cup, rectangular and halo on the british tubes.

Sep 1, 2018 at 2:46 AM Post #6,208 of 7,413
So in actual fact it's a ken rad tube. I've seen Sylvania British branded tubes but this is my first ken rad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back