6SN7 Tube Addicts
Oct 2, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #6,226 of 7,413
I feel the same way. Doesn't look comfortable, the pins dont seem to be sitting perfectly and the tubes touching each other isnt a good idea either.

Oct 4, 2018 at 4:30 AM Post #6,227 of 7,413
Thanks for the replies, tubes are sitting solidly and are not touching, there is 2-3mm gap between. Since they run really cool i doubt that's too close.

"Flexible" connection is between adapter and socket saver where i added ~1-2mm long sheath to each pin taken from thin wire. So no visible pins. Also board sockets are slightly tinted outward.
I'd like to think i'm pretty safe here even it does look wobbly ( sorry about that TOCD people :blush: )...

One thing i'd like to ask: CV181's run really, really cool, barely hand warm. Is this ok ? I guess it is because tube itself has quite a lot of surface vs voltage it uses (vs e88cc).

And about sound, glorious. Beats hands down my previous grey bottled NU 6SN7GT's and new production TungSols. Actually amazing how much better these are.

cheers :nerd:

Oct 5, 2018 at 1:29 AM Post #6,228 of 7,413
Thanks for the replies, tubes are sitting solidly and are not touching, there is 2-3mm gap between. Since they run really cool i doubt that's too close.

"Flexible" connection is between adapter and socket saver where i added ~1-2mm long sheath to each pin taken from thin wire. So no visible pins. Also board sockets are slightly tinted outward.
I'd like to think i'm pretty safe here even it does look wobbly ( sorry about that TOCD people :blush: )...

One thing i'd like to ask: CV181's run really, really cool, barely hand warm. Is this ok ? I guess it is because tube itself has quite a lot of surface vs voltage it uses (vs e88cc).

And about sound, glorious. Beats hands down my previous grey bottled NU 6SN7GT's and new production TungSols. Actually amazing how much better these are.

cheers :nerd:

Which CV181 are those ? No expert and can’t recognise them. They might work nicely in my headamp...

Oct 11, 2018 at 11:47 PM Post #6,232 of 7,413
From eBay, I've purchased from: bangybangtubes, vacuumtubesinc, spin4cards, christopher2159, and fng2u. All have a lot of excellent feedback.

Websites I also typically visit are: TubeWorld, VacuumTubes.net, The Tube Store, AudioTubes, and Tube Monger.

Keep in mind some of these sites don't do a great job keeping their prices and stock updated, so if you're looking for something very specific you'll have to shoot them an email. I've gotten some of my best tubes for excellent prices this way :)
Bangybangtubes? R u kidding?

Oct 12, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #6,234 of 7,413
On numerous occasions, Bangybangtubes has listed fakes and this has happened too many times for me to ignore. Last year he was using a different eBay name, but recently changed it, perhaps to escape his reputation and start over? Tubes that are relatively common are probably a safe bet. But I would advise extreme wariness when considering anything of high value.

Anyway, this is just my opinion based on what I have observed..... YMMV. :)

Oct 12, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #6,235 of 7,413
I was unaware of his history! I did order relatively common tubes and he shipped them promptly. I'll keep my more rare purchases to the trusted websites and vendors, thanks for the heads up.

Oct 13, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #6,237 of 7,413
Maybe some one here can help me id a tube. It is a Tung-Sol, black plate and black base. It is a 6 volt tube twin triode with a round mica top. Now here is the unusual thing, the plate's are at an angle to each other, and looking from the top down, the support rods form in the form of a V. It is a side getter tube. The tube markings are all worn off, and Tung-Sol is in white letters on the base. Each plate has 2 holes and the plate's are t shaped. The getter is D or Horse Shoe.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #6,238 of 7,413
Maybe some one here can help me id a tube. It is a Tung-Sol, black plate and black base. It is a 6 volt tube twin triode with a round mica top. Now here is the unusual thing, the plate's are at an angle to each other, and looking from the top down, the support rods form in the form of a V. It is a side getter tube. The tube markings are all worn off, and Tung-Sol is in white letters on the base. Each plate has 2 holes and the plate's are t shaped. The getter is D or Horse Shoe.
Picture?

Oct 13, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #6,239 of 7,413
thumbnail.jpg
thumbnail3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back