6SN7 Tube Addicts
May 4, 2016 at 4:01 AM Post #5,596 of 7,413
  Anyone tried these? Any comments?

I have found all the new production 6SN7s disappointing (to say the least). The better ones have excellent detail and extension, but are dry to the point of harshness. Not my thing at all.

These are Shuguang's attempt to produce a 6SN7 in the "WE Style" - meaning a richer and warmer sound. If they can do that, without sacrificing too much detail and extension, then these might be a winner. My WA6 is currently broken, or I would order a pair myself and try them out.

Mate its possible, but I would not be risking another dump of dollars just to find out. I seriously doubt it, besides I have 10 sets left of the TSRP's 2 matched pairs of the Syl Metal Bases & 4 x Syl Bad Boys along with just about every other RCA etc etc. SO fr I keep coming back to the TSRP's nothing else does it for me like those. I would probably swap over to C3G's if Woo got the circuit right and they managed to get some bass out of them, otherwise they are quite a good thing as you know.

May 4, 2016 at 4:23 AM Post #5,597 of 7,413

Mate its possible, but I would not be risking another dump of dollars just to find out. I seriously doubt it, besides I have 10 sets left of the TSRP's 2 matched pairs of the Syl Metal Bases & 4 x Syl Bad Boys along with just about every other RCA etc etc. SO fr I keep coming back to the TSRP's nothing else does it for me like those. I would probably swap over to C3G's if Woo got the circuit right and they managed to get some bass out of them, otherwise they are quite a good thing as you know.

In an amp designed for them, I can state that the C3G goes deep and hard in the bass. Fast and punchy. Listening to right it now on my Glenn 300B + HD800S rig. Loving it. Only a touch behind my SS rig (V281 + HE6) for detail, dynamics, clarity.

I also have a hefty stash of TS RPs and NUs (IMHO the NU comes a close second to the TS RP - both are excellent). The problem is that these tubes are now getting increasingly scarce and expensive. That is a big turnoff for newbies joining the hobby. If someone can produce a new production 6SN7 with decent detail and extension that doesn't sound like fingernails being dragged down a blackboard that would be a good thing for everyone.

Even if the Shuguang WE6SN7 tubes were only 80% of the performance of the TS RP, that would still put them head and shoulders above the rubbish currently being churned out, and provide a relatively affordable driver for new comers to the hobby.

May 4, 2016 at 4:46 AM Post #5,598 of 7,413

Yep, listened to a matched pair of the Psvane CV181T Mk 2, they are supposed to need 300 hours so I gave them at least that and they were still nasty, harsh, bright and metallic. Nothing to see hear move along.

Thanks Simon, metallic would not suit me at all. You saved me a ton of time.

Paul

May 4, 2016 at 5:56 AM Post #5,599 of 7,413
Originally Posted by TonyNewman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I also have a hefty stash of TS RPs and NUs (IMHO the NU comes a close second to the TS RP - both are excellent). The problem is that these tubes are now getting increasingly scarce and expensive. That is a big turnoff for newbies joining the hobby. If someone can produce a new production 6SN7 with decent detail and extension that doesn't sound like fingernails being dragged down a blackboard that would be a good thing for everyone.

Even if the Shuguang WE6SN7 tubes were only 80% of the performance of the TS RP, that would still put them head and shoulders above the rubbish currently being churned out, and provide a relatively affordable driver for new comers to the hobby.

I totally agree. I also have a nice collection of old stock tubes, but would not hesitate to use new production tubes if the sound was right! 
I've tried the psvane cv-181 treasure and psvane uk-6sn7, they don't come close to nice old stock tubes unfortunately.

I'm also interested in those we6SN7/we6SL7's though. Shuguang also have a series they call "nature sound" which as I understand it is a further development of the treasure series.

May 4, 2016 at 6:04 AM Post #5,600 of 7,413
TS rp make me dream with my amp. Unfortunately i have only one.

May 4, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #5,601 of 7,413
TS rp make me dream with my amp. Unfortunately i have only one.

Half a dream is better than no dream. 

Great tubes. The boxes that some came in are beautiful also. I have a pair of NoS Navy TS RP, the box is thick and a light brown with deep navy blue heavy stamping for the tube type and specifications. 

May 4, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #5,602 of 7,413
  Anyone tried these? Any comments?

I have found all the new production 6SN7s disappointing (to say the least). The better ones have excellent detail and extension, but are dry to the point of harshness. Not my thing at all.

These are Shuguang's attempt to produce a 6SN7 in the "WE Style" - meaning a richer and warmer sound. If they can do that, without sacrificing too much detail and extension, then these might be a winner. My WA6 is currently broken, or I would order a pair myself and try them out.

Those look to be on the verge of "too fat" for many Woo amps, will they even fit in a WA5?

May 4, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #5,603 of 7,413

Those look to be on the verge of "too fat" for many Woo amps, will they even fit in a WA5?

Maybe not. Should be fine on the WA22. I quite like the Treasures.

May 5, 2016 at 1:56 AM Post #5,605 of 7,413
Half a dream is better than no dream. 

Great tubes. The boxes that some came in are beautiful also. I have a pair of NoS Navy TS RP, the box is thick and a light brown with deep navy blue heavy stamping for the tube type and specifications. 

I mean that i have only one nib piece of this sounding jewel. I use it e very day but i have no other one to replace it.

May 5, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #5,606 of 7,413
Anyone else heard of Triotron? They are the same as Mullard (same Philips parent company). They also come with nice boxes:

May 5, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #5,607 of 7,413
  Anyone else heard of Triotron? They are the same as Mullard (same Philips parent company). They also come with nice boxes:

In the case of this ECC35, Mullard's production code is clearly visible:  "RU2 B6B". Thus it was actually manufactured in Mullard's Blackburn factory in 1956. And in a number of the other photos above, snippets of similar production codes can be seen. Therefore, while there is evidence that Triotron did manufacture vacuum tubes in the 1920's and '30's, the above tubes would seem to be rebadged Mullards.

May 5, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #5,608 of 7,413
Makes sense. They have nicer boxes than the Mullard branded tubes though :)

May 5, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #5,609 of 7,413
I mean that i have only one nib piece of this sounding jewel. I use it e very day but i have no other one to replace it.

PM me if you are interested in buying another matched pair or a single.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back