6SN7 Tube Addicts
May 5, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #5,611 of 7,413
I noticed that the guy who asked about an alternative to current production 6SN7s.  I tend to agree with him concerning current production.  The problem is figuring out what 'old stock" tubes that are truly new.  Then the brand, my favorite starter tube is a fresh newish Sylvania GTB .  He can take a number of paths from them.  It is difficult to explain the ups and downs about buying  OS tubes.  I would nevertheless point him at OS tubes from one of several honest dealers.. 

May 6, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #5,612 of 7,413
I agree with that completely. I tried the Shuggie, the Sophia, the New Sensor, the EH...and I have never heard a current production 6SN7 that I thought sounded as good as a basic Sylvania 6SN7GTB.

May 6, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #5,613 of 7,413
I agree with that completely. I tried the Shuggie, the Sophia, the New Sensor, the EH...and I have never heard a current production 6SN7 that I thought sounded as good as a basic Sylvania 6SN7GTB.

+1 on the new production vs the older 6SN7 tubes....pretty much all 1940's  6/12  SN7's sound very nice in my amp.

May 8, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #5,614 of 7,413
The GTB is a relatively modern tube, designed for higher plate voltages than the GT.  I prefer some of the "vintage" WWII (I hesitate to use the term "NOS") GT models and their electrical (but not pin) equivalents.

May 9, 2016 at 1:59 AM Post #5,615 of 7,413
  The GTB is a relatively modern tube, designed for higher plate voltages than the GT.  I prefer some of the "vintage" WWII (I hesitate to use the term "NOS") GT models and their electrical (but not pin) equivalents.

I prefer the older tubes myself, almost all of my collection are GTs.  I recommend the GTBs , because I think his chances for a relatively new or lightly used tube is greater than with GTs.  I also know the typical sound of the Sylvania GTB, and think it may appeal to him    They have a very pleasant euphonic, somewhat warm tone to my ears.  He can go in a couple of directions from there .
 I whole heartedly agree with you on the use od NOS.  They are very rare, but you can find them.  The general use of NOS instead of just 'Old Stock' which accounts for virtually all of them, makes people sound ill informed (there are more vulgar and punitive terms that actually come to my mind).  

May 9, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #5,616 of 7,413
Right, the point wasn't that GTBs are better than GTs or WGTs...no one was saying that. The point was that for someone just getting into tubes, the GTB's are easy to get, fairly cheap, and better than any current production 6SN7.

May 9, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #5,618 of 7,413
Can't argue with any of that. I picked up some RCA 6SN7GTB Parallel Black Plate for $75, RCA 6SN7GT Grey Glass for $40 and Tung-Sol GTB Tall Boy for $35 recently. All sound great.

May 16, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #5,619 of 7,413
I need some more boxes to fit the 6SN7, i do not remember where i ordered them from last time....anybody know of a place that they are sold fairly cheap.

May 16, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #5,620 of 7,413
  I need some more boxes to fit the 6SN7, i do not remember where i ordered them from last time....anybody know of a place that they are sold fairly cheap.

https://www.amplifiedparts.com/

May 16, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #5,621 of 7,413

https://www.amplifiedparts.com/

Thanks much, Mike, I appreciate it.

I have been enjoying this 12SN7 this morning, it sounds great, nice support rods, only two micas, bottom rectangle getter

May 19, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #5,622 of 7,413
Received this a few hours ago...I am really liking the sound of it.

I think it meets the construction criteria for a 12SN7 "bad boy"

I thought I read somewhere that they stopped making bad boy in 1952, this is from 1953....so who knows.

May 19, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #5,623 of 7,413
I Don't know the criteria for the 12 Volt Bad Boy if it exists at all. If they follow the 6 volt true  Bad Boy they would have been made before the 14th week of 1953.  The date code would read  3 13 or earlier. The production started In the 39th week of 1951 going all the way through 1952 and ending around the 16th week of 1953 as above.  Having been made within this timeframe does not make all Sylvanias.6SN7s Bad Boys .  You are quite right to inspect for the correct plates ,etc..  Look up the 6SN7 reference page here for the other criteria.  That is where I learned the date range.  Other criteria are also discussed all information provided by Len,  whom I truly respect as an expert on 6SN7s and Bad Boys in particular. 

May 19, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #5,624 of 7,413
My two cents...

With all due respect, I am very skeptical regarding the accuracy of these dates. I would suggest that they should be considered an educated best-guess. After all, that was more than 60 years ago and I sincerely doubt that anyone really knows for sure the exact start and ending dates for the manufacture of these tubes.

Thus, I always go by construction. And if a tube with the correct construction, manufactured slightly outside this suggested date range, was to turn up, IMHO it would still be a "bad boy".

May 20, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #5,625 of 7,413
  My two cents...

With all due respect, I am very skeptical regarding the accuracy of these dates. I would suggest that they should be considered an educated best-guess. After all, that was more than 60 years ago and I sincerely doubt that anyone really knows for sure the exact start and ending dates for the manufacture of these tubes.

Thus, I always go by construction. And if a tube with the correct construction, manufactured slightly outside this suggested date range, was to turn up, IMHO it would still be a "bad boy".

It sounds wonderful, I am really diggin the sound...paired with Chatham 6AS7G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back