6SN7 Tube Addicts
Mar 7, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #5,581 of 7,413

Can you describe the attributes of the 6N6P tube?  I am familiar with the  SQ of the GE 5 Star white, which I think is underrated.  I like what the 5Star does with bass/low frequency in particular, which can be thunderous but usually well defined, IMO of Course and YMMV etc.

6H6P when provided with ample heater current is rock solid, spacious, and very natural sounding. Is does not emphasize treble, but isn't soft unless you don't give it enough power.

It's actually in the same sound family in my opinion as the GE 5 Star White with a touch less bass emphasis and a little more separation.

Mar 22, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #5,582 of 7,413
I was sold these as a matching pair. The insides look exactly the same and the lettering on the metal plate is exactly the same - even has the "anchor symbol". But, the stamps on top of the chrome/glass are different. One is 6SN7 W A 5, and the other is 6SN7 A L 4. Should I have any concerns at all?

Mar 22, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #5,583 of 7,413
I'm going to answer my own question. After further research and asking a couple of other sellers I've bought from, they appear to be the same.

Mar 22, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #5,584 of 7,413

Indeed the same-
but I haven't seen flashing like that/  It seems irregular.in it's relation to the glass that would not be a good thing. I think but if your experience proves me wrong I wouldn't be surprised.

NB :
In reviewing these photos on 52/16 the "irregularities" seem to be simple reflections from the room.   There is nothing else that I see now which I not what y would want to see.  These are very nice tubes, I have one in an amp I use, on a more or less  permanent basis. I roll when I get something interesting but haven't bought in a while, have to sell some tubes at some point -but I like my tubes, a conundrum indeed.

Mar 22, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #5,585 of 7,413
I think it might just be the light/photo? The flashing is completely solid.

Mar 22, 2016 at 11:17 PM Post #5,587 of 7,413
Yes mica's exactly the same. I'm about to give them a try. I like to deoxit clean and deoxit condition the pins the night before I try a new tube. Allow everything to settle after traveling, and then give them a try the next night - which is tonight :)

Mar 23, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #5,589 of 7,413
Very good, I'm confident you will find them totally engaging. Smooth, professional sounding tubes that will bring you immense listening pleasure.

Enjoy!

tongue.gif

Yes, that's a very good summary. I was also lucky enough to try out the TungSol BGRP last night. These are also very nice tubes, but I found myself switching back to the Sylvania's. I'd like to experiment a little more, but at the moment I'm putting the Sylvania's right up there with my Mullard ECC range of tubes.

Mar 23, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #5,590 of 7,413
I read somewhere that the tube top designation A tubes were made earlier than  the W, but both were identical  Sylvania Military 6SN7Ws.  I now think my concern about the flashing/gettering is merely a photo image issue.  Both tubes are the excellent Metal base med to tall bottle 6SN7W.  I am using  one myself at this time and think it is superb. 

Mar 23, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #5,591 of 7,413
  I read somewhere that the tube top designation A tubes were made earlier than  the W, but both were identical  Sylvania Military 6SN7Ws.  I now think my concern about the flashing/gettering is merely a photo image issue.  Both tubes are the excellent Metal base med to tall bottle 6SN7W.  I am using  one myself at this time and think it is superb. 

Getter is almost never even, as it is a process that can only be controlled to a certain degree. Some people say they can tell if a tube has been used a lot by the getter but this is rarely true. Getter can be dark or very silver looking, depending upon the exact chemicals used. I had a tube pair with one of them loosing the getter. Sad as I loved the sound of the tubes. As the tube becomes more gassy, more getter is used until it turns white. Most tubes are pretty reliable. When I was in the Navy we had a transmitter that used two large power tubes. They normally put out 50 watts each but for emergencies, they could put out 500 watts combined for about 5 minutes. Wow they got hot and glowed like a bright bulb! Even at that, 500 watts didn't seem to help much. lol 

May 2, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #5,592 of 7,413
Anyone listen to the northen electric 6SN7 from Canada or the Chinese Psvane CV181T Mark 2 6SN7 "premium" grade?
Both about $100 each.  Yeah, expensive beast.

Paul

May 3, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #5,593 of 7,413
Anyone tried these? Any comments?

I have found all the new production 6SN7s disappointing (to say the least). The better ones have excellent detail and extension, but are dry to the point of harshness. Not my thing at all.

These are Shuguang's attempt to produce a 6SN7 in the "WE Style" - meaning a richer and warmer sound. If they can do that, without sacrificing too much detail and extension, then these might be a winner. My WA6 is currently broken, or I would order a pair myself and try them out.

May 4, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #5,594 of 7,413
Same as you. I don't like any new 6sn7.these are interesting me too.

May 4, 2016 at 3:57 AM Post #5,595 of 7,413
  Anyone listen to the northen electric 6SN7 from Canada or the Chinese Psvane CV181T Mark 2 6SN7 "premium" grade?
Both about $100 each.  Yeah, expensive beast.

Paul

Yep, listened to a matched pair of the Psvane CV181T Mk 2, they are supposed to need 300 hours so I gave them at least that and they were still nasty, harsh, bright and metallic. Nothing to see hear move along.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back