6SN7 Tube Addicts
Feb 1, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #5,551 of 7,413
  which of these 6sn7s would you guys consider the best sounding?

Tung Sol Mouse Ears. 

Sylvania Bad Boys: True, 3-hole plates. 

Sylvania VT-231: 

Sylvania 5692 brown base. 

Sylvania Chrome Tops: 

Raytheon JAN VT-231: 

National Union: 

RCA Gray Glass: 

Raytheon Chrome Tops:

Of these I prefer the Sylvania 6SN7 W  which I think you are including as Sylvania "chrome tops"  more often referred to as Chrome Domes.  The Sylvania Bad Boy is also a very very good tube , which turn up in lots etc. keeping their price lower than most, albeit used.  The Tung Sol GT non round plarte or mouse eared is a really good if somewhat pedestrian  tube.  Personally I never loved the RCA, don't know why, but find them un involving.   .To be completely honest none of the tubes you listed are bad, they are all pretty good and better.
The trick now is finding affordable European tubes such as the Brimar 6SN7GTY CV 1988 and the sort of like 6SN7s such as the Mullard the ECC32 and 33 etc and other rarities.  I will brag a little and admit to owning multiple versions of the  Brimar  CV 1988, and a few NOS ECC32 and some used ECC33s..I own Italian Marconis  I wish they were the English ones but I can't bring myself to afford the MOV GEC  B65.   I have not heard the Russian hole plated nor the Telefunken.  I do have a quad of crappy Russian tubes that has "made in Germany" printed on them, Anyone want to buy them? I am just kidding around I know there is a classified section on this site.  
The 5692s have never made me happy, but I still own a couple of pairs of the RCA red base.  For anyone completely bass minded might like these , with their soft  edge A real bass head will want the  bass champ Ken Rad.
I have never wanted to buy the expensive Chinese versions that are out now.  It looks like all the engineering went into packaging and advertising.  I know some will be vehement about the sound quality and beauty of these tubes.  
All this a strictly subjective and in my Opinion

Feb 2, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #5,552 of 7,413
Of these I prefer the Sylvania 6SN7 W  which I think you are including as Sylvania "chrome tops"  more often referred to as Chrome Domes.  The Sylvania Bad Boy is also a very very good tube , which turn up in lots etc. keeping their price lower than most, albeit used.

All this a strictly subjective and in my Opinion

I have heard many say they prefer the Syl 6SN7 W, to all others, but I have yet to hear it. Looking forward to finding a pair, one day.

:p

Feb 2, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #5,554 of 7,413
The Sylvania tubes marked:

6SN7 W GTA

Sound the same as ones marked:

6SN7 W

?

No. 6SN7W was manufactured around 1945 while the 6SN7WGTA was manufactured in the 1950's and into the 1960's. As others have observed, I find the midrange of the later tube to be a bit dryer and leaner than the 1940's production. 

Feb 2, 2016 at 11:24 PM Post #5,556 of 7,413
I find the bass of the "W" to be very good. While not as big as the  Ken-Rad, it is still very good. And again, the Sylvania 6SN7W is my favorite "true" 6SN7. But of course, my ears and my gear. :)

Feb 3, 2016 at 1:08 AM Post #5,557 of 7,413
My perfectly matched Sylvania VT-231 arrived. It's about spot-on now without too much or too little of anything (as a gain tube). I'm not sure it is radically different to the GE GTB I have already. I think that'll do me for now. I need a Ragnarok before I need more tubes.

Feb 3, 2016 at 9:02 AM Post #5,558 of 7,413
  My perfectly matched Sylvania VT-231 arrived. It's about spot-on now without too much or too little of anything (as a gain tube). I'm not sure it is radically different to the GE GTB I have already. I think that'll do me for now. I need a Ragnarok before I need more tubes.

I was thinking of a RAG myself. Its beginning to tickle me.

Feb 3, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #5,559 of 7,413
I just received my Sylvania 6SN7GT's and I am very pleased. A rich full bodied midrange, sweet high end and a nice round bottom as well.

Ken Rad VT231's are wonderful tubes, too. They have the larger bass and an extended high end, and holographic sound stage.

Two re-badged sets of 6SN7GTB's are also wonderful. Both made by Raytheon, one with the ladder plates, the other with the T plates. Both sets also sound nice. Very balanced and true to the recording.

Hoping to acquire the famous Sylvania 6SN7W's to see why everyone raves about these, I'm sure they will live up to the glowing reputation.

Enjoying the 6SN7 family...very much.

Happy Listening, all...

:p

Feb 3, 2016 at 11:02 PM Post #5,560 of 7,413
I just received my Sylvania 6SN7GT's and I am very pleased. A rich full bodied midrange, sweet high end and a nice round bottom as well.

Ken Rad VT231's are wonderful tubes, too. They have the larger bass and an extended high end, and holographic sound stage.

Two re-badged sets of 6SN7GTB's are also wonderful. Both made by Raytheon, one with the ladder plates, the other with the T plates. Both sets also sound nice. Very balanced and true to the recording.

Hoping to acquire the famous Sylvania 6SN7W's to see why everyone raves about these, I'm sure they will live up to the glowing reputation.

Enjoying the 6SN7 family...very much.

Happy Listening, all...

tongue.gif

I think you understand that the 6SN7 WGT is not what I m referring to  I mean the  6SN7 W.  You can find the short bottle black base  W  variants for about $50 today, a lot less than it has been in the past.  You are not going to find the taller bottles or the very desirable metal base for that.  I would put some short bottles on my list if I were you.   I own a bunch, having started a collection of them about 12 years ago or more.  There is more to the story but I don't want to confuse you.  I will add it later sometime.

VT 231 I think is a military part number, that was used extensively during WW2 and the Korean conflict.

Feb 4, 2016 at 2:07 AM Post #5,561 of 7,413
I think you understand that the 6SN7 WGT is not what I m referring to  I mean the  6SN7 W.  You can find the short bottle black base  W  variants for about $50 today, a lot less than it has been in the past.  You are not going to find the taller bottles or the very desirable metal base for that.  I would put some short bottles on my list if I were you.   I own a bunch, having started a collection of them about 12 years ago or more.  There is more to the story but I don't want to confuse you.  I will add it later sometime.

VT 231 I think is a military part number, that was used extensively during WW2 and the Korean conflict.

Agreed on the Sylvania 6SN7W short bottle with black base. My Project Ember amp can run a huge variety of tubes and I've bought many of them. The 6SN7W is clearly my favorite (I've recently bought 4 additional).

Regarding the 6SN7 WGTA I also agree they are less impressive with the exception of a Sylvania Gold Brand 6SN7 WGTA with the brown base, which is a very close match to the older 6SN7W black base. They are susceptible to interference though. It works fine at home and the office but was a noisy mess at a recent meet (with lots of other gear nearby).

Feb 4, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #5,562 of 7,413
Personally, I think the Sylvania JAN 6SN7WGTA is an underrated tune. It's nicely balanced, warm without being gooey, extended FR in both directions. I've been using them in my Cary SLP-05 for a couple of years and have no desire to replace them.

Feb 4, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #5,563 of 7,413

Hello Mechans1 -

Yes, I am clear in the 6SN7 W (no other designations). Those are the ones I am trying to locate, and yes, I see the short bottle black base ones go for less than the metal based or taller bottle ones.

Looking forward to owning a pair.

I just commented on the Syl 6SN7GT's as they were new to my arsenal of 6SN7's.

Appreciate....

Feb 4, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #5,565 of 7,413
In a week or two I will have the following tubes ¬

TS 6f8g

Ken Rad VT 231

Tung Sol Mouse Ears.

Sylvania Bad Boys:

Sylvania Chrome Tops:

National Union:

Ill let you guys know what I think of them in the WA5. Thinking of pairing them with AVVT 300b.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back