6SN7 Tube Addicts
Apr 13, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #4,786 of 7,413

Well maybe I overstated the notion that my Extreme didn't respond to tube rolling.  It does and I use some very good tubes in the 6SN7 position.  It was the opinion of the (now disgraced) owner of SP that very specific 6SN7s worked best in these amps.  In comparison to my preamp  the SP Extreme's  6SN7 isn't as revealing.  I think your PPX-3 could very easily be  highly sensitive to the 6SN7s it uses  and more like my preamp.  I think in fact, that it may support the idea that circuits are indeed critical..

Apr 13, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #4,787 of 7,413
It just proved to me what I knew in a very simple and practical way.

Please note these are my findings with my own systems.

Apr 18, 2015 at 7:34 AM Post #4,788 of 7,413
i have a technical question. When base isn't tight and little loose : it's unglued right ? is it possible to make tight again or it's not a problem ?
this morning, i putted off a 6f8g from adapter and i heard a little clic sound...unglued.... damn !

Apr 18, 2015 at 7:58 AM Post #4,789 of 7,413
  i have a technical question. When base isn't tight and little loose : it's unglued right ? is it possible to make tight again or it's not a problem ?
this morning, i putted off a 6f8g from adapter and i heard a little clic sound...unglued.... damn !

Many in this thread have used clear nail polish to reglue bases.

Apr 18, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #4,790 of 7,413
I suppose it is fine to use a tube which has its base slightly off. (just use it carefully when put it off or on from amp)
It must be very precise to put clear nail varnish between the glass and the base. There's a particular technique?

Apr 18, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #4,791 of 7,413
I've not done this myself, so I can't say for sure, but I doubt that you have to be all that precise. As long as the base is adhered to the glass, it really doesn't need to be neat and pretty. I remember seeing a number of postings in this thread on this subject, so you might want to do a search.

Apr 19, 2015 at 5:26 AM Post #4,793 of 7,413
  I suppose it is fine to use a tube which has its base slightly off. (just use it carefully when put it off or on from amp)
It must be very precise to put clear nail varnish between the glass and the base. There's a particular technique?

Just run the nail varnish in the gap between the base and glass.

Or if you are careful use some superglue, a few drops will be fine.

Apr 19, 2015 at 5:43 AM Post #4,794 of 7,413
Hello,

I'm looking for singles :

Brimar 6SN7GTY. NU 6SN7 earliest version. Sylvania Bad Boy 6Sn7. Treasure CV181. TSRP 6SN7

Any help appreciated. Singles only for my DeHavilland UltraVerve PreAmp. If you have ever heard a Mullard 10M ECC82 Gold Pin you'll now the dyed in the wool, tweed early British Valve sound I'm looking for.

Apr 19, 2015 at 6:43 AM Post #4,795 of 7,413
I have a question about the Ken Rad black glass 6SN7 or 12SN7

Do the Ken Rads that are clear at the bottom of the glass, at the base instead of chrome in that area.....are those round plates or am I just thinking this for no reason.

Thanks for any info on this.

Apr 19, 2015 at 7:57 AM Post #4,796 of 7,413

Just run the nail varnish in the gap between the base and glass.

Or if you are careful use some superglue, a few drops will be fine.

i'll try. Honestly, tubes are working perfectly like this, but i love perfect stuff.
biggrin.gif

Apr 19, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #4,797 of 7,413
The point is that a loose base can only get worse.

The sooner you secure the better.

I am not aware of Ken Rad making any round plates but I could be very wrong.

Apr 19, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #4,798 of 7,413
I have a question about the Ken Rad black glass 6SN7 or 12SN7

Do the Ken Rads that are clear at the bottom of the glass, at the base instead of chrome in that area.....are those round plates or am I just thinking this for no reason.

Thanks for any info on this.

The two things are not related, at least not directly.

The "chrome" is the getter flashing. If the tube has no getter at the bottom (meaning the getter is on the top usually), then there will be no flashing at the bottom, and the glass will be clear. This has nothing to do at all with what kind of plates are used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back