6SN7 Tube Addicts
Feb 26, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #4,532 of 7,413
Anyone suggest a warm , rosin on the bow, British valve sound with good layering and low level detail. I'm looking for that sweet midrange and clean bass.

My CV 181 Black treasure sounds like it has given up.
I like the JAN Sylvania short bottle I put in its place but looking at something new or NOS

Feb 26, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #4,533 of 7,413
There is the Brimar CV1988 6SN7GTY it  is not overly warm,it leans in that direction.  I would have said a Sylvania "W" but you already know you like them.  Just curious, if you know you like them, why not try to snag one that appears to be NOS or at least close to NOS? I have a bunch myself  but very few with original boxes.

Feb 26, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #4,534 of 7,413
  Thank you so much for clearing this up about the C3g's characteristic.  So hypothetically if you had a hybrid tube amp (tube preamp and solid state power output) with C3g properly driven...it would just sound like a SS amp with good preamp, right?  Basically it will be "soundless" or add any tube color so you will be listening to the sound that is closest to how it was originally recorded, right?

To clarify a bit, I mean the C3g has less tube bloom than any small signal tube I have personally heard.  A C3g driving a 45 is the most neutral sound I have experienced, the most obvious colorations I hear from the system come from the frequency response of the headphones.  I have never heard a 6SN7 that was truly neutral to my ears.  Some sound very lovely and desirable to listen to, but never neutral in my personal opinion.  I was just trying to give you that frame of reference so you had an idea of what to expect from the C3g.  If it is properly driven the expectation would be for it to take away some degree of coloration and any change in sound you hear would come from this.  This is what I was trying to say.

It's only my take on it, and it will be amp and equipment dependent.

Feb 27, 2015 at 6:34 AM Post #4,537 of 7,413
Anyone suggest a warm , rosin on the bow, British valve sound with good layering and low level detail. I'm looking for that sweet midrange and clean bass.

My CV 181 Black treasure sounds like it has given up.
I like the JAN Sylvania short bottle I put in its place but looking at something new or NOS

@ Carusoracer : i've juste tried Brimar 6SN7 GT black glass medium bottle with my BA. Beautiful mids and highs, similar to the ecc35 Mullard. I find bass not thick enougnh for my taste. but tube is nos and not burned yet(only 5 hours), i hope it wake up with many hours.

Feb 27, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #4,538 of 7,413
  gibosi,

Thank you so much for letting me know what direction I need to be heading.  I will definitely either build or buy the adapter to try C3g on 6SN7 or 6SL7 circuit design and let you know how it sounds.

My hope is that C3g S will blow away all the 6sn7 and 6sl7 tubes.  I am looking for the "END GAME" tube and I think C3g might be it.

I will let you know.  May be I can let your hear the differences instead of telling you what my subjective impressions are.

BTW, I was thinking about working on a little project.  I am not sure if someone else already has done this...if so please let me know.  I am trying to create a library of 6sn7 tube sound samples with different power tube combinations.  Like a comparison chart with frequency response and music sounds from the tubes.  I don't have too many of 6sn7s right now but I am building my collection slowly.  I am planning to use my MK VI+ balanced preamp output to a balanced recording device with lossless format 24bit 96kHz.  I will play a same music with different tubes so the listener can hear the difference between the tubes.
Something like this but with 6sn7 tubes instead of headphones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XSbtDgMxEY
skip to 1:47

I am very new to tube amps (just got into it around 4 months ago). I was buying tubes based on what people say and how good it is.There are not too many places where I can demo tubes for me.  But if you can hear the differences like dynamics, warmth/bright/dark,details, and high/mid/low frequency response of a tube it can give someone some sort of idea/hint of what to expect from a particular tube that he/she might be interested.  Right now I own Full Music 6sn7 "B" grade, Psvane cv181-tii "A" grade, russian 6h9c (stock tube for MK VI+), and tung-sol 6sn7gt.  I bought all these tubes without listening to them.  All four tubes are very different and Psvane cv181 is the most dynamic and Full Music is the most detailed of all four.  And you can totally tell the difference between the tubes with the music I recorded between all four tubes.  I have been making my own CD by playing my favorite music through the MK VI+ and rerecord the sound refined by the driver tubes then burn the audio CD so i can listen in my car just to listen and compare the different characteristics of the tubes.  I am just doing this out of curiosity and help people who are new to tubes like me. So it's not going to be professional quality like Sonicsense.com who are doing it to help their business.

So if I succeed in getting C3g to work with 6sn7/6sl7 circuitry...I will upload the samples for you so you can be the judge instead of just wonder if it really sounds as good as or bad as my subjective impression says.

Hi SoundEngineer.

Would just like to give you some encouragement re trying the wonderful C3g...

Having pioneered this driver in the 'Little Dot Tube Amps Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide' - mine being the MKIV SE (none were configured for the C3g), and many now find this to be the best - I have recently adapted it (with advice from Glenn of Glenn Amps) for the new 6SN7 driver-based Feliks-Audio Elise OTL HP amp, and the results are truly astounding. There were doubts (to say the least!) from the pros about its performance in amps not specifically configured for it but I personally have found it (the 'S' version especially) outperforming by a large margin some very nice 6SN7s - eg PsVane CV181TIIs and Sylvania tall-bottle 'Chrome Dome' 7N7s.

So I'm confident that you will also find success, but as has been mentioned it does depend on the amp in question - trial and error can often yield surprising results...

A view of my own final 'tinkering'!...

ps. The GEC CV2523s (6AS7G) + the C3GSs are a marriage made in Heaven, to be sure - as with the Beyer T1s!

Good luck with your own quest for sound nirvana...

Feb 27, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #4,539 of 7,413
And just to clarify, fitting two C3gs into two octal sockets, as H1 has done with his Elise, is a very different undertaking than fitting two C3gs into one octal socket, as you will need to do for your MK VI+. Again, it is very hard to predict how the C3gs will sound in any amp not explicitly designed for them. While I think it is safe to say that the C3gs will likely not perform up to their potential, they just might sound surprisingly good.

Good luck! :)

Feb 27, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #4,540 of 7,413
I have an Apex Pinnacle tube amp and have several 6sn7 tubes, but my favorite by far is the NOS English tube from 1940. Very expensive, but really make this amp sing with deep bass as well as beautiful mids and trebles. Problem is the cost of this tube.

Feb 27, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #4,542 of 7,413

I am at work, I will let you know the specifics when I get home. This is a $1000. tube driving the 2 PX7's in the Pinnacle. It was made in England just before WWII and was used for radar screens, initially.

Feb 27, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #4,545 of 7,413
From tejas.com website: Marconi Osram B65 Metal base Almost impossible to find as NOS, these amazing metal base military spec tubes have consistently won 6SN7 shoot outs over and over again! Of course these are only for the most discriminating...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back