6SN7 Tube Addicts
Jan 29, 2015 at 7:40 AM Post #4,501 of 7,413

Anyone had experience with these re-issues? Look interesting. Or is it like all new tubes you want to run away and hide?

I've tested this model with my BA. Honestly not bad for the price. Sounding space and 3D, bass is correctly controlled but a little mudy in confrontation with some good NOS. High frequencies are little veiled too. It's a correct tube if you've got and listen only this one. but my favorite 6SN7, TS VT231 bgrp is so so far away..
rolleyes.gif

Jan 29, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #4,502 of 7,413

Anyone had experience with these re-issues? Look interesting. Or is it like all new tubes you want to run away and hide?

oh memories...my first baptismpair ever bought for the dv336se...
both were hummmming...sold them asap.

Feb 3, 2015 at 4:27 AM Post #4,503 of 7,413
I have been rolling multiple "NOS" 6SN7s in my Apex Teton but no matter what I use, be it my favourite Sylvania 6SN7W metal base, Tungsol BGRP 6SN7 or the Mullard CV181, I just found the soundstage a bit closed in, or collapsed as one might put it, and the sound not clean enough for my liking. In other words, there was not enough "air" - the sound was rather thick - too much so to my liking on certain types of music. I was already using the WE 417A which I found to be the most neutral and accurate of all power tubes I have tried on the Teton. For this reason, I preferred the EC 4-45 (running EML 45 tubes with the WE 417A) for classical and live instrumentals and started to question why others vouched so much for the Teton for its speed, attack and detail.

Then, my new CBS/Hytron 5692 brown base arrived. "Bam"! What a difference. The Teton sounded much more open, airy and dynamic, and I was getting pleasant results with classical and other well recorded live music that made the Teton compare very favourably to the 4-45 in this aspect. The key factor that distinguished this tube from the others was that the soundstage sounded "limitless" when it should be, instead of like a cavern on the HD800.

Now the question is - is what I am experiencing characteristic of the various 6SN7 tubes I have mentioned, or is it likely that all of the purportedly "NOS" premium 6SN7s I have, excluding the CBS/Hytron, are all past their prime or not as "NOS" as they were touted to be? Can there really be so much of a difference? This really baffles me because I have rolled 3 different Sylvania 6SN7W metal base tubes which I have purchased "NOS" and perhaps put on roughly 300 hours each: they all sounded pretty much the same to me. I wonder if anyone can enlighten me what is going on?

Feb 3, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #4,505 of 7,413
  CBS/Hytron 5692 brown base is a great tube and one of my favourites. Just enjoy.

Can i use my WA6's 6sn7 to 6DE7 adapter with the 5692 or is it a different adapter that's required 

Feb 3, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #4,506 of 7,413
  Can i use my WA6's 6sn7 to 6DE7 adapter with the 5692 or is it a different adapter that's required 

Good question. I know the 5692 uses less voltage. That is why it is suppose to last 10,000 hours. I think the adapters are just for pins not voltage so I would guess you would be okay. Might want to wait for someone else to chime in tho.

Feb 3, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #4,507 of 7,413

Good question. I know the 5692 uses less voltage. That is why it is suppose to last 10,000 hours. I think the adapters are just for pins not voltage so I would guess you would be okay. Might want to wait for someone else to chime in tho.

I was just checking out 5692 tubes on ebay and next to description they include 6sn7 so looks like ok but confirmation would be nice plus tube is on the Woo Audio tube list they say it needs an adapter but dont say if it is the same one as the  6SN7 that is used 

Feb 4, 2015 at 2:31 AM Post #4,508 of 7,413
5692 is fine in the WA6 with adapter, this tube is conservatively rated, hence the 10,000 hrs life (life might be reduced because of driving harder however but is a rediculously long life tube anyway). I prefer the brown based 1950s CBS / Hytron to the red based ones as do many others. It is the 6SN7GTA and B that are a little difference, with power upto 4.5w per triode as opposed to 2.5w for the standard (few other tweaks as well). I always wondered whether this increased output was a enough for the more powerful 6se but guess no as not on the compatible list.

Feb 5, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #4,509 of 7,413
The long life rating of the 5692 comes from the recommended plate voltage for the tube.  If you take a regular 6SN7 and operate it within the same spec it will also last that long most likely.  The whole thing is quite gimmicky IMO.

6SN7s in general are not a good idea in the WA6SE without doing something to lower the B+ voltage.  Otherwise the amp will chew those tubes up pretty fast.  In the regular WA6 a 6SN7 tube will live a happy life.

Feb 7, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #4,511 of 7,413
  Is it the high B+ voltage or the power requirements that limit the 6SN7GT in the 6SE Xcalibur255? I don't have a 6 to investigate here.

To use a 6SN7 in the WA6-SE it requires a special adapter that adds a cathode resistor and bypass capacitor.
This changes the bias and lowers the cathode current in the section that is used for the output.
Of course the power of the amp is reduced not that it matters with most headphones. 

Feb 7, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #4,513 of 7,413
Right...they call the 6DE7 / 6FD7 "dissimilar triode" tubes for a reason. The two sections are totally different. Works well in the context of a headphone amp - one section for input and one for output, and one tube per channel.

Honestly I could never understand the allure of using a 6SN7 in the WA6. The fat bottle 6FD7 is a great sounding tube and can be had dirt cheap.

Feb 7, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #4,514 of 7,413
Right...they call the 6DE7 / 6FD7 "dissimilar triode" tubes for a reason. The two sections are totally different. Works well in the context of a headphone amp - one section for input and one for output, and one tube per channel.

Honestly I could never understand the allure of using a 6SN7 in the WA6. The fat bottle 6FD7 is a great sounding tube and can be had dirt cheap.

If you can find them, if you know of a source i would be interested and the last time i saw some they where at least$20.00 each and that was about a month ago .they are hard to find unfortunately

Feb 7, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #4,515 of 7,413

I agree, the dissimilar triodes (I think all originally designed for TV sets!) do a great job in my WA6-SE. And people should consider that there are other theoretical advantages to the 6SE aside from more power -- the rectifier stage is isolated a separate chassis so there is less possibility of electrical interference with the amplifier stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back