6SN7 Tube Addicts
Feb 27, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #4,548 of 7,413
When I ordered the tube online, he phoned me to ask what my amp was and how I was going to use this tube. Inner space started a thread discussing the Pinnacle vs the Leben 300 in which he discussed his favorite 6sn7 tubes for these amps. It was a 2011 thread.

Feb 28, 2015 at 4:11 AM Post #4,549 of 7,413
Hi there,

i've received two new tubes for test with my BA : rca 6sn7 grey glass. One of them has a silver ring at the bottom of the bottle and marked H6E, the other is marked H3E ans hasn't got this silver ring. What is the difference : year of production ?

Feb 28, 2015 at 4:40 AM Post #4,550 of 7,413
Yes B65 is a wonderful tube, especially the metal based ones. It was launched after the second world war in 1948 I think but is firmly in the golden 20 years of valves from late 20s to late 40s. I am lucky I have a few I use myself. They were made by GEC / Marconi / MWT / Osram in the UK but you will also find Holland examples (with Black phenolic bases). Great tube, with real delicacy and finesse..

Feb 28, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #4,551 of 7,413
Hi there,

i've received two new tubes for test with my BA : rca 6sn7 grey glass. One of them has a silver ring at the bottom of the bottle and marked H6E, the other is marked H3E ans hasn't got this silver ring. What is the difference : year of production ?

I have a few sets of greyglass. I find them a fun tube. Never seem to get two tubes the same and a lot are very crooked. To me it is part of their charm. They didn't care how they looked then they were just punching them out. They will be painted different everytime. Sometimes with internal scratches from internal electronics scraping the paint as they were installed. I even have a set with the same manufacture and batch codes that look different from each other.

To answer your question. Yes different production dates.

RCA greyglass's are handy to tame bright tubes or headphones. My favorite 6SN7.

Feb 28, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #4,552 of 7,413
  Hi there,

Most of the RCAs I've seen don't have that slim band of getter visible, but there seem to have been batches where the glass coating stopped a little short and produced just that.

Feb 28, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #4,554 of 7,413
The are labelled Marconi, Holland B65.  All clear and above board which is why I mentioned it to show people the difference. They come in nice Marconi boxes also. They are the genuine artice but are not made in the UK which is probably what most want.

Feb 28, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #4,555 of 7,413
These tend to be pretty things, especially the boxes, so photos would be nice.
wink.gif

Feb 28, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #4,556 of 7,413
  Hi there,

H6E = 1944 Nov/Dec
H3E = 1944 May/June

Feb 28, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #4,557 of 7,413
thanks for your help guys. RCA grey glass are fun tubes with very good results for price, but not my favorites
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back