6SN7 Tube Addicts
Aug 23, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #4,201 of 7,413
Intriguing, I would have guessed Sylvania because of the angled plates. I just assumed CBS got gobbled up by a bigger company by the time the 6SN7GTB "rolled" around.

So, here are some pics of the CBS tube compared to a 55 sylvania GTB:

From the front, the triangular plates are identical. From the side, there are five holes of identical size.... But the flaps made by the hole punch are on different sides. Other than this very minor difference, same plates... Same tube manufacturer?

Aug 31, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #4,209 of 7,413
always thrilled to see one of our headfiers scoring a gem , and enjoying it !

Aug 31, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #4,210 of 7,413
Bargain of the century. $6
smily_headphones1.gif

These are very nice tubes.  Wish I could get a few for that price for backup.   Great find.

Sep 1, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #4,214 of 7,413
Hi guys.

Am relatively new to this particular thread, but have followed your postings for some time recently.

My first reason was for using the 6SN7 as power tubes in our rolling experiments over at the Little Dot...Rolling Guide. And they were a great improvement over the stock 6N6Ps or 6H30Pi-EH (and I found even over the VERY expensive 6N30P-DR). Then we discovered the 6AS7G (especially the GEC version!), which even surpassed the 6SN7 (as power tube, that is).

Well, in my quest for a better amp to do real justice to these tubes, but at a price below the likes of the Glenn, LaFigaro 339 etc. I approached the makers of the Feliks-Audio Espressivo-E (in Poland) and suggested they consider a unit that used these two types of tubes - both of which are very popular, of course -  instead of the current 6N1Ps and 6N6Ps...And they agreed! They have now started a prototype, which they hope to complete within the month and are seriously working towards (hopefully!) being able to pitch it BELOW $500, which I am sure would be quite a feat and which I suspect might appeal to some of you who appreciate the 6SN7, especially in combination with the 6AS7G/6080.

If anyone is interested and would like to know more/follow progress, I have started a new thread - "Feliks-Audio...a 6SN7 + 6AS7G/6080 prototype".

The more interest is shown, the more incentive there will be for them to make it work! (Well, to my way of thinking anyway...). So all are welcome...

Sep 2, 2014 at 2:49 AM Post #4,215 of 7,413
Darkvoice already makes an economical amp which uses 6SN7 & 6080 / 6AS7 tubes. Is this something similar ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DarkVoice-336SE-Headphone-Tube-Amplifier-neat-technics-/260695457691?pt=US_Pro_Audio_Amplifiers&hash=item3cb2a8ff9b

Users who are viewing this thread

Back