6SN7 Tube Addicts
Mar 10, 2019 at 9:37 PM Post #6,316 of 7,413
Since I seem to have fixed my 6F8G noise issue, time for a revisit and to check my inventory! :L3000:

Here is my current stock:

3x Tung Sol VT-99 flat ladder plates
2x Sylvania and 1x Raytheon 6F8G T plates (construction on these is identical, I smell a rebrand...)
1x RCA VT-99 gray glass flat plates
1x National Union 6F8G round plate

Couple questions if someone will humor me:

1. Are there significant sonic differences between the flat ladder and round plate Tung Sol 6F8G? Seeing mixed messages on this one, wondering if acquiring and round plate is worth the money and effort.

2. One major 6F8G player I am missing is the Ken Rad. Any consensus on where it falls on the euphonic/transparent scale and performance relative to the other 6F8G's? Also seeing a couple different plate types.

3. Any other 6F8G's worth a roll that I haven't listed?

Thanks!

Mar 10, 2019 at 11:04 PM Post #6,317 of 7,413
As in almost every field, there are lumpers and splitters, if you will, regarding the sound of 6F8G and 6SN7 manufactured by the same maker. To be clear I am lumper, and to my ears, there is no significant difference between the 6F8G and 6SN7 manufactured by the same maker except for the NU. And so the KR 6F8G and 6SN7 sound the same to me. However, others claim to be able to hear differences between 6F8G and 6SN7.

With regard to your specific question concerning the TS 6F8G, I happen to have a TS 6SN7GT with the flat ladder plates and I cannot hear any difference between it and the round plate version. But then again, I am a lumper. :)

2014-10-03 11.25.55.jpg

2014-10-03 11.24.50.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2019 at 10:01 PM Post #6,318 of 7,413
As in almost every field, there are lumpers and splitters, if you will, regarding the sound of 6F8G and 6SN7 manufactured by the same maker. To be clear I am lumper, and to my ears, there is no significant difference between the 6F8G and 6SN7 manufactured by the same maker except for the NU. And so the KR 6F8G and 6SN7 sound the same to me. However, others claim to be able to hear differences between 6F8G and 6SN7.

With regard to your specific question concerning the TS 6F8G, I happen to have a TS 6SN7GT with the flat ladder plates and I cannot hear any difference between it and the round plate version. But then again, I am a lumper. :)

I like your approach, being a lumper has it's advantages (i.e., saving a bit of cash)

Interesting to see the Tung Sol 6SN7GT with the ladder plates! They really did just take the 6F8G and cram it in smaller bottle. I can now sleep easy knowing I have that vintage Tung Sol sound on lockdown :)
I'll refer to my Ken Rad VT-231 for the 6F8G sound signature, no need to reach and end up with a duplicate tube. I can forward the money I would have spent into my next tube and/or headphone obsession, after all.

Much appreciated!

IMAG0430-2.jpg

My Bottlehead Crackatwoa: Tung Sol VT-99 input, Tung Sol 7802 output, GE 5-star 6005 shunt regulator tubes, loving this setup right now. A couple oldies but goodies in the back, getting some head time while I wait for my Auteur to return :beyersmile:

Mar 12, 2019 at 10:40 AM Post #6,321 of 7,413
Thanks! Many hours went into polishing that top plate, people telling me it looks nice made it worth the effort :)

It does look very nice...good job.

I see you are from Cleveland....I am from Coshocton, a couple of hours south of you.
we come to Cleveland a couple times a year, ball games , concerts ect.

Mar 12, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #6,322 of 7,413
It does look very nice...good job.

I see you are from Cleveland....I am from Coshocton, a couple of hours south of you.
we come to Cleveland a couple times a year, ball games , concerts ect.

Fantastic! I spent some time there as a child, a family friend called it home. There was a vintage toy store downtown I fell in love with at the time.

I try to be an ambassador for Cleveland when I can, city has had a bad reputation nationally for some time, but I think people who visit see that it has a lot to offer (sports, food, arts).

The only thing is lacks is a proper headphone vendor...

Mar 29, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #6,323 of 7,413
I can highly recommend the black plate, spade getter, metal base KenRad 6J5GT. And unlike some of the other tubes I recommend, they are cheap :) I paid $8 each for them. They just seem to be a little smoother and more refined than the 6SN7 tubes I have - but of course it could just be my tubes.

KenRad-0000.jpg

Apr 4, 2019 at 8:47 PM Post #6,324 of 7,413
I can highly recommend the black plate, spade getter, metal base KenRad 6J5GT. And unlike some of the other tubes I recommend, they are cheap :) I paid $8 each for them. They just seem to be a little smoother and more refined than the 6SN7 tubes I have - but of course it could just be my tubes.

Do these go straight in? I don't see an adapter in this picture...

Apr 4, 2019 at 8:49 PM Post #6,325 of 7,413

Oops. Disregard last question. You have them 2-per-adapter here.

Apr 13, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #6,326 of 7,413
New addition to the tube collection today - 6SN7W metal is old news, but I'm loving it so far. Very similar in character to its short bottle cousin, but more dynamic. More players from 6SN7 Mount Olympus coming soon :)

IMAG0464.jpg

Apr 13, 2019 at 6:35 PM Post #6,327 of 7,413
New addition to the tube collection today - 6SN7W metal is old news, but I'm loving it so far. Very similar in character to its short bottle cousin, but more dynamic. More players from 6SN7 Mount Olympus coming soon :)

That is one tube, I have been interested in. Nice pic!

Apr 13, 2019 at 6:43 PM Post #6,328 of 7,413
That is one tube, I have been interested in. Nice pic!

Same,however some arcing issues mentioned at the beginning of this thread(or perhaps the other thread) and $$$ these have been going for have kinda pushed them back on my tube buying priority list.

Apr 13, 2019 at 7:12 PM Post #6,329 of 7,413
Same,however some arcing issues mentioned at the beginning of this thread(or perhaps the other thread) and $$$ these have been going for have kinda pushed them back on my tube buying priority list.

Yes, I paid a pretty penny for it since it is NOS testing, and it is still microphonic - doesn't bother me since I'm not jumping up and down while I listen, but I think they have a history of unreliability, ironically.

Apr 21, 2019 at 12:46 PM Post #6,330 of 7,413

Users who are viewing this thread

Back