6SN7 Tube Addicts
Sep 24, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #5,941 of 7,413
Sylvania Gold Brand JAN-CHS-6SN7WGT

I have always been a very big fan of this tube. I use them in my Cary SLP-05 - and they're the best all around tube in the Cary that I tried.

Sep 24, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #5,942 of 7,413
I have always been a very big fan of this tube. I use them in my Cary SLP-05 - and they're the best all around tube in the Cary that I tried.

In other tubes amps I've used, I haven't enjoyed the BG Syl as much, but this guy is blowing me away! The word that comes to mind the most is rich. Top to bottom everything sounds so lush.

Sep 24, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #5,943 of 7,413
What is the difference between the gold brand and the normal brown base 6sn7wgt? Can you please share some pics.

Thanks

Sep 24, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #5,945 of 7,413
What is the difference between the gold brand and the normal brown base 6sn7wgt? Can you please share some pics.

It is important to remember that paint and graphics have no effect on the sound of the tube. If the internal construction and date of manufacture is the same for two tubes, then they will sound identical, regardless of the branding.

Sep 24, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #5,946 of 7,413
  Honestly I'm not sure. Maybe someone more experienced can lend a hand here?

Here's what mine look like:

The earlier Sylvania 6SN7WGT have three-hole T-plates, one free-standing support rod, 4 “umbrella spokes” extending downwards from the top mica spacer and a fairly heavy chrome getter splash. The ones above are later, perhaps around 1960, with angled t-plates, rather light getter splash, and halo-getters.

Sep 24, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #5,947 of 7,413

And to answer your question a bit more directly...  Originally, Sylvania produced and sold the 6SN7WGT to the military. But it would appear that one day, someone at Sylvania had a brilliant idea. How about selling WGT tubes to the public as a "premium" tube for a premium price? So they labeled them as Gold Brand and marketed them as their very best premium tubes. But again, it is still a 6SN7WGT. There is no difference.

Sep 25, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #5,948 of 7,413
Right, I would call the "difference" of Gold Brand just "marketing" :D

But the brown base 6SN7WGT is a very,very fine tube.

Sep 28, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #5,950 of 7,413
And to answer your question a bit more directly...  Originally, Sylvania produced and sold the 6SN7WGT to the military. But it would appear that one day, someone at Sylvania had a brilliant idea. How about selling WGT tubes to the public as a "premium" tube for a premium price? So they labeled them as Gold Brand and marketed them as their very best premium tubes. But again, it is still a 6SN7WGT. There is no difference.

Do you have a link, reference, or source for this?

Sep 28, 2016 at 5:40 AM Post #5,951 of 7,413
I have been enjoying a Sylvania 6SN7W for about a week now....thanks @gibosi

Wonderful tube and could highly recommend for any detail freaks out there.......not much in the low end, but fantastic mids and treble.

I am running it with 5998 power tubes and I am going to leave this combo in for a while.

Sep 28, 2016 at 8:59 AM Post #5,952 of 7,413
  I have been enjoying a Sylvania 6SN7W for about a week now....thanks @gibosi

Wonderful tube and could highly recommend for any detail freaks out there.......not much in the low end, but fantastic mids and treble.

I am running it with 5998 power tubes and I am going to leave this combo in for a while.

I agree with you that the Sylvania 6SN7W is a great tube and usually not priced in the stratosphere. I would simply say I think it is pretty decent in the bass, but probably not the tube for bass freaks.

Sep 28, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #5,953 of 7,413
  I agree with you that the Sylvania 6SN7W is a great tube and usually not priced in the stratosphere. I would simply say I think it is pretty decent in the bass, but probably not the tube for bass freaks.

If one is truly a bass freak they should select equipment to produce the desired amount of bass. Tube selection will only get you so far.  And if you are listening to speakers your room should be properly treated to get the full effect.

Sep 28, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #5,954 of 7,413
Do you have a link, reference, or source for this?

It is common knowledge that the text and graphics painted on tubes was mainly for marketing purposes. And in fact, sometimes it is incorrect. I often see tubes that are mislabeled in terms of tube-type, country of origin and brand. Typically, tubes were painted at the time of packaging and the text and graphics often reflect the end user. On the other hand, etched and/or sand-blasted text and graphics were applied during the manufacturing process and these can be very useful in accurately identifying the tube in question.

On the Sylvania pictured above, the etched tube-type, "6SN7WGT" can be clearly seen. Further, the internal construction indicates that the manufacturer was Sylvania, not Tung-Sol or Raytheon. Therefore, this tube is a Sylvania 6SN7WGT. And any painted text and/or graphics applied after the manufacturing process might be interesting, but again, it was more about marketing than anything else.

Sep 28, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #5,955 of 7,413

Yes indeed, it can often be found quite inexpensively. For example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Sylvania-JAN-CHS-6SN7WGT-U-S-Military-Tube-Chrome-Dome-/112145739745

Users who are viewing this thread

Back