6SN7 Tube Addicts
Aug 24, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #5,911 of 7,413
Why would you replace your amp if you like it?  A good tube can't make a bad amp sound good.  The ECC31 isn't a special tube or even a better sounding tube than an ECC32.  The equipment is much more important than the tube.

Aug 24, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #5,912 of 7,413
Even the ECC32 isn't a direct equivalent for the 6SN7, much less the ECC31. It's not really reasonable to expect an amp designer to build an amp that is designed to work ideally with a 6SN7 and also work with these other tubes that aren't equivalents. There is a difference between "doesn't shut down/blow up the amp" and "doesn't work optimally", sure, but either way, with all the great 6SN7's out there, why push the envelope so hard?

Truly equivalent tubes to the 6SN7, WITH adapters, are the 6F8G and the 6FQ7/6CG7. The 5692 and CV1988 are directly compatible without adapter.

Aug 24, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #5,913 of 7,413
I understand that the ECC31 arent better than the ECC32, but since they were cheaper for NOS tubes, I went with them. I want another amp with 6SN7 tubes as drivers anyway (to use as both amp and preamp), so I might as well get an amp which also runs the ECC31. Thinking of the cheaper Feliks audio elise.

Aug 24, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #5,914 of 7,413
You can use the full range of the ECC31 - ECC35 tubes with the Woo Audio WA22. They are some of the best sounding (if not the best) driver tubes for that particular amp. I don't know how this amp compares to the LG though. 

Aug 24, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #5,915 of 7,413
  I understand that the ECC31 arent better than the ECC32, but since they were cheaper for NOS tubes, I went with them. I want another amp with 6SN7 tubes as drivers anyway (to use as both amp and preamp), so I might as well get an amp which also runs the ECC31. Thinking of the cheaper Feliks audio elise.

Stop thinking and just buy 
k701smile.gif

Aug 25, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #5,916 of 7,413
Has anyone used the EL3N tubes and compared them to the likes of BGRP and 6SN7W? Over at the Elise thread, people tout them to have even better SQ (Bass/soundstage) compared to the ECC31, which I already consider to be a great tube (Having heard the ECC32 and assuming theyre the same with adapters to 6SN7). Now I'm just worried that the EL3N might also not work on the Glass with the 6SN7 adapters.

http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_el3n.html

Aug 25, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #5,917 of 7,413
  Has anyone used the EL3N tubes and compared them to the likes of BGRP and 6SN7W? Over at the Elise thread, people tout them to have even better SQ (Bass/soundstage) compared to the ECC31, which I already consider to be a great tube (Having heard the ECC32 and assuming theyre the same with adapters to 6SN7). Now I'm just worried that the EL3N might also not work on the Glass with the 6SN7 adapters.

http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_el3n.html

You should know that the EL3N is a single pentode. And therefore, it is necessary to use two tubes to substitute for one 6SN7, a double triode. Moreover, it is also necessary to convert these pentodes into triodes inside the adatper. In other words, the adapter is not trivial. And while EL3N may work in the LG, I have my doubts that two adapters with four tubes will fit in the physical space allotted?

Aug 26, 2016 at 2:30 AM Post #5,919 of 7,413
Recently bought these for my tube buffer! Hopefully these are half-decent, I think they are Sylvania tubes. Can't wait to add a bit more tube flavor to my SS HD800 set-up.

Aug 26, 2016 at 6:59 AM Post #5,920 of 7,413

You should know that the EL3N is a single pentode. And therefore, it is necessary to use two tubes to substitute for one 6SN7, a double triode. Moreover, it is also necessary to convert these pentodes into triodes inside the adatper. In other words, the adapter is not trivial. And while EL3N may work in the LG, I have my doubts that two adapters with four tubes will fit in the physical space allotted?

Some people have been using a single EL3N with an adapter in place of 6SN7 in the Elise.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1piece-Gold-plated-EL3-EL3N-TO-6SN7-CV181-B65-Special-tube-converter-adapter-/201589213959?hash=item2eefa74b07:g:gVQAAOSwU1FXQXCf

So Im assuming this only works in the Elise then maybe?

Yes theres not enough space on the glass to fit a christmas tree setup of the EL3N

Aug 26, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #5,922 of 7,413
  Some people have been using a single EL3N with an adapter in place of 6SN7 in the Elise.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1piece-Gold-plated-EL3-EL3N-TO-6SN7-CV181-B65-Special-tube-converter-adapter-/201589213959?hash=item2eefa74b07:g:gVQAAOSwU1FXQXCf

So Im assuming this only works in the Elise then maybe?

Yes theres not enough space on the glass to fit a christmas tree setup of the EL3N

It might work in the LG. Since the LG uses two 6SN7 as drivers, it depends on how they are wired. In some amps, only one half of each 6SN7 is used. And in other amps, such as the Elise, both halves are used. However, there is more than one way to wire the two halves. If the wiring in the LG is the same as the Elise, using the Elise adapter might work. But fitting a single triode-strapped pentode into a double-triode socket means that some pins will not be connected. And this may well trip up the sensing circuitry in the LG... 

So my intuition tells me that the "christmas tree setup" has the best chance of working, electrically, but, since there is not enough space, it is a no-go....

Aug 27, 2016 at 6:01 AM Post #5,924 of 7,413

It might work in the LG. Since the LG uses two 6SN7 as drivers, it depends on how they are wired. In some amps, only one half of each 6SN7 is used. And in other amps, such as the Elise, both halves are used. However, there is more than one way to wire the two halves. If the wiring in the LG is the same as the Elise, using the Elise adapter might work. But fitting a single triode-strapped pentode into a double-triode socket means that some pins will not be connected. And this may well trip up the sensing circuitry in the LG... 

So my intuition tells me that the "christmas tree setup" has the best chance of working, electrically, but, since there is not enough space, it is a no-go....

Very tempted to try and get some EL3N and give it a shot with the single tubes!  I've made my way up to the KRVT231/6SN7W on the LG, and I'm wondering where to go up from where with regards to overall SQ, (without going lower on bass). I find the ECC32, TS BGRP and Osram B36 a bit too expensive, and Im not sure if they worth are enough of an upgrade and worth the price. 

Aug 29, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #5,925 of 7,413
Very tempted to try and get some EL3N and give it a shot with the single tubes!  I've made my way up to the KRVT231/6SN7W on the LG, and I'm wondering where to go up from where with regards to overall SQ, (without going lower on bass). I find the ECC32, TS BGRP and Osram B36 a bit too expensive, and Im not sure if they worth are enough of an upgrade and worth the price. 

In the Elise, I find the EL3N to be a very dark and gloomy tube. I am surprised other Elise owners like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back