6SN7 Tube Addicts
Mar 4, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #3,991 of 7,413

I've been using them for a while and have to say they are one of my favourites. In my top 5 for sure. They look stunning also.....

What amp is that ? & BTW Ultimae rules
L3000.gif

Edit -
Got it - Icon Audio

Mar 4, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #3,992 of 7,413
Listening area in my new house... The Icon powers the HE-6 easily and the Psvane II are a very, very nice tube even compared against some of the boutique vintage tubes. As far as current production goes, nothing comes close.

Mar 13, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #3,993 of 7,413
Just purchased a single 6SN7 oval mica, round plate tube ($90
biggrin.gif
) to go with another I had.  I noticed that one has a dimpled bottom disc getter and the other has a D bottom getter 
frown.gif

Do you guys think these will sound significantly different?

Mar 13, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #3,994 of 7,413
Can you post a picture of the "dimpled bottom disc getter"?

Mar 14, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #3,997 of 7,413
  I noticed that one has a dimpled bottom disc getter and the other has a D bottom getter 
frown.gif

Do you guys think these will sound significantly different?

I have one with round micas and disc getter and two with oval micas and D getter. My guess is that your tube is intermediate, with the older getter and the newer mica. Personally, I do not notice any difference between the older round and newer oval mica versions, so I would doubt that there would be a significant difference in yours. But I should note that my ears are old and my gear is modest.....

Mar 14, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #3,998 of 7,413
I have one with round micas and disc getter and two with oval micas and D getter. My guess is that your tube is intermediate, with the older getter and the newer mica. Personally, I do not notice any difference between the older round and newer oval mica versions, so I would doubt that there would be a significant difference in yours. But I should note that my ears are old and my gear is modest.....

Sounds right. I've never seen an oval mica with the "disc" getter before. But I also agree I bet the difference is not very much.

Mar 15, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #4,000 of 7,413
Found and purchased a Sylvania (DELCO brand) metal base 6NS7W for peanuts, as the base had completely split and come loose. Notice that it looks similar to the much later coin-base 6SN7s. This suggests to me that when removing these tubes from their sockets, it is perhaps best to grab them by the black phenolic bottom rather than the metal wrapping.

I figure that this shouldn't be all that hard to repair. The original brown mastic is rather thick so I think this calls for a very thin glue. I have read that clear nail polish works well for resecuring phenolic bases, but maybe a couple drops of superglue would do the trick. Any suggestions?

But in the meantime, a simple twist tie works very well and it has the added benefit of fitting in with the "flying wires everywhere" aesthetic of my very crudely modified LD 1+. And it sounds great! :)

Mar 15, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #4,001 of 7,413
I followed Stavros directions further back in this thread and secured 2 bases with clear finger nail polish. Worked like a charm.

Mar 16, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #4,003 of 7,413
I have only recently joined Head Fi but have a long time collector of 6SN7s.  I just loved what rolling these tubes could do.  I think I have maxxed out, most of the potential with them. using the SP Extreme I have had since prior to the SP implosion.
I noticed that I had some NU Black glass GTs in mint condition and gave one of the a shot.  Earlier posts in this thread acknowledged them as being a good -but nothing special tube, in this application.  I beg to differ, these tubes work very well. They are fast enough to get out of the way, but don't seem to interfere with tone delay. I like the sound very much. I have used other highly acclaimed 6SN7s for this amp, but so far this, none has bested the NU.  Some serious contenders including the Sylvania W metal base under current discussion, amongst them (remember for this application only).  I wondered if any others had tried the Black NU GT lately and what they thought?

Mar 16, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #4,005 of 7,413
  I have only recently joined Head Fi but have a long time collector of 6SN7s.  I just loved what rolling these tubes could do.  I think I have maxxed out, most of the potential with them. using the SP Extreme I have had since prior to the SP implosion.
I noticed that I had some NU Black glass GTs in mint condition and gave one of the a shot.  Earlier posts in this thread acknowledged them as being a good -but nothing special tube, in this application.  I beg to differ, these tubes work very well. They are fast enough to get out of the way, but don't seem to interfere with tone delay. I like the sound very much. I have used other highly acclaimed 6SN7s for this amp, but so far this, none has bested the NU.  Some serious contenders including the Sylvania W metal base under current discussion, amongst them (remember for this application only).  I wondered if any others had tried the Black NU GT lately and what they thought?

The NU Black glass seems more sensitive to operating points and plate voltage than most 6SN7 are.  It can sound very different from one amp to the next.  It sounds very nice in the HP8, but is probably the worst sounding driver tube I have tried in my OTL.  I have listened to the tube in four different amps and it sounded quite different in each of them without much common ground aside from a degree of bloom somewhere in the midrange in each case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back