$600 for a amp and dac. Or DAC/AMP. What would you do ?
Feb 9, 2008 at 6:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

strangedaze39

Member of the Trade: HeadCoverage
Ok so I for some reason had it stuck in my head ok I will spend 300usd on an amp and 300usd on a Dac. I didn't even think of the posibility of a 600usd AMP/DAC unit or even a 200/400 DAC and Amp combo.
So basically I can split the money up however I just want to come up with the best possible set-up for 600usd.

What would you do for you ?

FYI my cans are Mahogany wooden SR-225's.

Thanks for looking

Feb 9, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #2 of 23
I've never heard a Darkvoice amp, but the Gilmore Lite is not dark and warm. It's more like the clear, crisp light of dawn. It is musical and a terrific reference amp, but it doesn't sound like a tube amp. At all.

Why not look at some of the used amps? You might find a nice Singlepower to your liking, or maybe a Melos.

Feb 9, 2008 at 6:50 PM Post #3 of 23
A used amp could be a great choice for me could you give me a little more info on the singlepower and melos amps ? Also what model number are the amps your referring to. Thanks for the reply uncle erik you always are great help around here and normally pop up for all my novice questions. Thanks

Feb 10, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #6 of 23
You might do very well with a tube amp similar to the one I have, the Little-Dot MKIV. Here is the information on it: Viewing a thread - New Little Dot MK IV Pictures

I have the "se" model, which is $100 more, but to give your budget some breathing room, the MKIV standard at $299 + 45 shipping, would be an excellent choice. It also has more tube rolling options than the "se" does.
wink.gif

I also use the Zero DAC/Amp, which I have a review posted on here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...re-amp-269458/

Currently, the Zero is going for $139 + 40 shipping on eBay. It is an excellent DAC with an excellent headphone amp on board.
I hope this helps you out.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 10, 2008 at 5:44 PM Post #7 of 23
Hey Penchum, I was reading your reviews and thinking the same thing. Get a Zero Dac and upgrade it according to the chips you mentioned. Then I wasn't sure on the Little Dot MKIV compared to the Glite or the Darkvoice. Would you recommend the LD over those 2 ?

Thanks for your input Penchum ! Your always very helpful. Thanks
biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #9 of 23
Someone what telling me that the microdac didn't sound nearly as good as his kece's. Would you disagree ? As far as I know the micro dac looks good. Thanks n433n !

Feb 10, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by strangedaze39 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Penchum, I was reading your reviews and thinking the same thing. Get a Zero Dac and upgrade it according to the chips you mentioned. Then I wasn't sure on the Little Dot MKIV compared to the Glite or the Darkvoice. Would you recommend the LD over those 2 ?

Thanks for your input Penchum ! Your always very helpful. Thanks
biggrin.gif

Well, that is the dilemma with amps in this price range. It isn't often that someone has one of each brand to compare!
smily_headphones1.gif
Many folks have purchased the MKIV and received them just before the Chinese New Year and they are saying great things about it. One thing I hear over and over is that the MKIV is worth way more than the selling price and I concur. If you look around at prices, you'll notice OTL designed tube amps are demanding a much higher price than the MKIV's. I wish I could speak to the other amps you mentioned, but I don't own them and really shouldn't.
biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #11 of 23
LOL

Ok. Spend $500 on the dac and $100 for the amp. We are talking about Grados here so I cannot really comment but will BET that a Mini3 would rock the friggin house with an Ori Zhalou.

I say this b/c the most integral part of my setup is the dac. Take it out and the sound quality/quantity loss is far larger than changing amps.

Feb 10, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #12 of 23
I have got a small combo list after gathering information from various kind people over the last few days. Thanks for helping everyone !

Combo 1: Kece's Dac & Glite
Combo 2: Little-Dot MKIV & Modded Zero Dac.
Combo 3: MicroDac & CK2III
Combo 4
biggrin.gif
yhani & Modded Zero Dac OR Kece's Dac

What do you think ?

Feb 10, 2008 at 7:15 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by strangedaze39 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
spaceman thats a good point since my grado's dont need much power but just good power. Thank you !

Well then you could just get a Pico heh. Source and amp right there...
Take a look at E-MU 1616, Apogee Duet - they are pretty solid sounding combos, assuming you use a computer as a source.

Feb 10, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #15 of 23
I'm sorry if my comment adds more confusion to you, but if it were my dough, I'd be looking for a used Benchmark DAC-1 or Lavry DA-10. Both are great, really good DACs and have more than decent headphone outputs. The Grados are well known for not asking too much from an amp, but if in the future you felt you're needing more power or refinement, you could always add a separate tube or SS headamp when funds allowed.
I've had here a DAC-1, it drove any of my cans with very good results, and sounded more than simply OK on my speakers rig. The Lavry is in the same league, but with a different flavour, more in the natural sound than in the revealing sound side. None was harsh or fatiguing, and both have the "nerve" to make music interesting and beating.

Rgrds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back