$400 Mid-Range / Treble - Focused Cans
May 26, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #16 of 32
Quote:
I think your best bet would be a used K501 (there's a recabled one in the FS forums right now !!)  or an Audio Technica AD-2000 "air"

I think they both have exactly what you are looking for.  You might try the K501 first because they are cheaper and there's one available now.  Very airy, open, clear with focus on detail in the mids and treble.  The bass is only there enough to support the mids and treble. 

The AD2000 is slightly different, maybe a bit more bass and slightly less treble, but still seems to be just what you're looking for. 

Have you heard the HD598? Headfonia compares them and the K5XX headphones. The article writer seems to favor the HD5X8 headphones by a large margin.

May 26, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #17 of 32
No, I haven't heard them.  Maybe they would be a good choice for the OP too.  I know that from the graphs, and from what people have said about forward upper mids, I would not like them, I'm pretty sure they would be harsh for me.  And I don't like grain. 

Have you heard the K501 or AD2000?  I personally don't like them in the end because they're too bright and the K501 doesn't have enough bass for me, but they do what they do really well IMO. 

May 26, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #18 of 32
RS1i, SA5000, W5000, K701, HD600 and DT880(600 ohm).

Oops, I totally forgotten W5000 and SA5000. W5000 have this coloured mid that one might not like, the SA5000 have slightly unnatural vocals compare to others too, but great treble.

May 27, 2011 at 6:52 AM Post #22 of 32
Used RS1i's or RS2i's

May 27, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #23 of 32
I might end up getting a pair of AKG cans and a pair of Beyers. Most of the cans suggested were in the $200 range anyway. So maybe a used pair of each, then decide if I want to keep one of those, or trade up. I might just experiment a lot this summer before I settle in to something specific. So much is intriguing me, including the HE-4, RS1, and W1000x.

Let the games begin, I suppose.

May 27, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #24 of 32
The HE-4 and W1000X are not in any way what you call Mid-Range / Treble - Focused Cans.

The HE-4's midrange is one of the most hollow and lifeless one I have heard, yes, its amped from a Lyr.

W1000X is very bassy and warm, so it is kinda the opposite of what you looking for, but they are fun to listen to.

May 27, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #25 of 32
I have noticed more to like about all of my cans as I have been selling them off and giving them one last listen. I am mainly concerned with the best rendering of guitars, drums, and cymbals. Vocals are secondary, as I listen to more instrumental stuff than anything.

I think for now my plan is whatever pair of 600 Ohm Beyers I can get the best deal on, and a pair of AKG 501s or 701s. Once I have both of their sound signatures figured out, I think I should be able to make the most informed decision on what will work bes for everything I'm wanting to listen to.

May 27, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #26 of 32

Quote:
No, I haven't heard them.  Maybe they would be a good choice for the OP too.  I know that from the graphs, and from what people have said about forward upper mids, I would not like them, I'm pretty sure they would be harsh for me.  And I don't like grain. 

Have you heard the K501 or AD2000?  I personally don't like them in the end because they're too bright and the K501 doesn't have enough bass for me, but they do what they do really well IMO. 

The graph of the HD598 actually looks really similar to the HD600 but the HD598 actually looks less bright on graphs in upper mids. The upper mids aren't that forward though I do EQ it down. Considering the price, the grain isn't too bad for what it does, but people with better headphones wouldn't be missing out on much if they don't try the HD598.

I heard the K501 for a very short time and I owned the AD2000 for awhile. The sound signatures of both were very nice, but I preferred ATH woodies for midrange at the time. Who knows how I'd feel now though? My preferences keep changing. Few things have sounded more natural to me than the W11R though.

May 27, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #27 of 32
Calling the mids on the HE4 hollow is quite an exagerration. In fact if anything is hollow, its the Lyr's ability to produce mids in the headphones. Out of the two sets of tubes I've used with the Lyr, the mids were recessed in comparison to the E9. Yes, even though the E9 can't realistically power the HE4 to its fullest, it provided a very balanced sound, with mids in tune with the rest of the sound. The Lyr however didn't provide the quantity of mids I'd like in any headphone I used.

May 27, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #28 of 32

Quote:
Calling the mids on the HE4 hollow is quite an exagerration. In fact if anything is hollow, its the Lyr's ability to produce mids in the headphones. Out of the two sets of tubes I've used with the Lyr, the mids were recessed in comparison to the E9. Yes, even though the E9 can't realistically power the HE4 to its fullest, it provided a very balanced sound, with mids in tune with the rest of the sound. The Lyr however didn't provide the quantity of mids I'd like in any headphone I used.

Based on your experience do you think Lyr was worth the money in overall performance?

May 27, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #29 of 32
Definitely. I just think it matches better with headphones that have forward mids. Headphones that have mids slightly behind bass and treble are gonna sound even more recessed, unless you have some very mid rich tubes, IMHO.

May 27, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #30 of 32
I'd also vote for used RS-1.  They are like SR225 (which you like), but I find their treble much smoother and bass increased.  With flat pads, they are more comfortable too.

p.s. the headphones on your avatar are way too big for your head.  
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back