$400 Mid-Range / Treble - Focused Cans
May 26, 2011 at 10:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

pow3rtr1p

100+ Head-Fier
I am consolidating my listening station down to a primarily CD-based system, using my PS3, Zero DAC, a new (to me) Darkvoice 336i, and a new pair of headphones. I have owned Audiotechnica A900s, Sennheiser 595s, Grado SR-80s and Grado SR-225s. Here are my impressions, as a guide:

Audiotechnica A900: Energetic, balanced, fun sound signature. Everything sounds a little bit artificial to my ears, but a good amount of detail and fast response.

Sennheiser 595: These are fairly new to me. They have a very natural sound, with better isolation than my Grados. However, they sound a bit tubby to my ears, and the mids are a bit overbearing. Guitars and vocals sound great, but cymbals and orchestral instruments lack sparkle.

Grado SR80: I haven't had these in a while, but I remember them well. Not very comfortable, but decent bass response, and a great, airy presentation.

Grado SR225: Like the SR80 done right, in my mind. Still uncomfortable, but a better soundstage than the other cans I've tried. Exciting presentation that draws me into the music. I actually don't hate the sound for jazz and classical, either.

So, I am selling all of my old cans and consolidating to get one high-end pair of cans in the $400 price range. Open or closed doesn't matter, as this will be primarily a bedroom system. Open to new or used, and also open to the concept of a slightly cheaper pair of headphones (say, $300) and maybe a recable, some tweak, tube rolling, etc.

Thanks for any and all help.
Patrick

May 26, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #2 of 32
k702's, for what you are requesting. I personally didn't like them though. I didn't like the SR225 either, so you might like them.

MacKat

May 26, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #4 of 32
Yeah, you might really enjoy the DT880 (though the 990 might be too bassy for you)

May 26, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #5 of 32
I am not an enemy of bass. I listen to Hip Hop and Dubstep sometimes, so bass is not necessarily a bad thing, it's just not the most important.

I listen to all different genres of rock, including lo-fi, pop punk, post-rock, acoustic, and metal. I also listen to a lot of jazz, classical, and hip hop. If I had to choose one genre for these to really excel at, it would be post rock. Music like Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Mono, and Mogwai. Very guitar-driven music. However, the treble sparkle of cymbals and strings is also a must. So, what headphones can you think of that render both guitars (clean and distorted) and cymbals in the most exciting (while still accurate) way?

I was strongly considering DT880s or 990s, but I wasn't certain what the intricacies of those models were. Also, would a Darkvoice 336i be enough for the 600 ohm version, or should I look for the 250 ohm version?

May 26, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #7 of 32
I own the DT770/600 and had for a while the DT990/600. To me, the 990 was too bright (but I am sensitive to bright phones) but had an airy, fun sound with tremendous detail but the 770 has nearly the same detail but with more warmth in the mids, albeit with less air due to it being closed. Excellent headphones for the money IMO. Having had the 325is for a long time, I feel the DT770/600 does things at least as well and are a hell of a lot more comfortable.

May 26, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #8 of 32
The DTs aren't mid focused at all.

I vote for the HD598 and/or K70x as the mid and treble focused cans.

May 26, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #10 of 32
I owned the DT770/600. Mine was an odd one that happened to have bass ports and have ridiculous amounts of bass, so much that I couldn't focus on anything else. The ones you're referring to are the bass light DT770s, which I was unfortunate to not get.

The premium Beyers aren't known for forward midrange.

May 26, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #12 of 32
Sennheiser HD598. Previously voted best headphone in the world.... by me. However, the title has been revoked.

Would you mind closed headphones? Few things reproduce midrange as well as a woodie Audio Technica.

I beg to differ, there are titanium Audio Technica and open Audio Technica that can reproduce midrange just as well as the woodies, if not better in some cases. Note the Audio Technicas, the only other things that I prefer the midrange on are some selected STAX and AKG K1000 (treble is not the best, so is the low bass, strictly mids and soundstage on the K1000s)

Maybe you can get a pair of used AD2000 or something.

May 26, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #13 of 32

Quote:
Quote:
Sennheiser HD598. Previously voted best headphone in the world.... by me. However, the title has been revoked.

Would you mind closed headphones? Few things reproduce midrange as well as a woodie Audio Technica.

I beg to differ, there are titanium Audio Technica and open Audio Technica that can reproduce midrange just as well as the woodies, if not better in some cases. Note the Audio Technicas, the only other things that I prefer the midrange on are some selected STAX and AKG K1000 (treble is not the best, so is the low bass, strictly mids and soundstage on the K1000s)

Maybe you can get a pair of used AD2000 or something.

O right, I forgot about the other Audio Technicas. I guess the K1000 would fit his needs but the lack of bass and dorky look was bummer.
biggrin.gif

May 26, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #14 of 32
I think your best bet would be a used K501 (there's a recabled one in the FS forums right now !!)  or an Audio Technica AD-2000 "air"

I think they both have exactly what you are looking for.  You might try the K501 first because they are cheaper and there's one available now.  Very airy, open, clear with focus on detail in the mids and treble.  The bass is only there enough to support the mids and treble. 

The AD2000 is slightly different, maybe a bit more bass and slightly less treble, but still seems to be just what you're looking for. 

May 26, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #15 of 32
RS1i, SA5000, W5000, K701, HD600 and DT880(600 ohm).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back