~$400 iem (pfe112 upgrade)
Sep 17, 2013 at 11:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

PeterCheng

Head-Fier
I am looking for a full upgrade of the pfe112 iem that i am using right now. It sounded quite nice to me at first but now I want more.

Pfe112 to my ears:

Bass: bass light, i definitely want more bass in my music. Tight bass and not bloated bass will be nice.

Mids: sounded great at first but later found out that it is slightly recessed and i want a more forward vocal.

Highs: really great, but more extension would be nice.

Sound Signature: I want warmer and fuller sounding. BUT clarity is always in the first priority.

Music Preference: pop, country, r&b

source: all alac + iPod touch 4 gen + Fiio e5(with L10 lod)

Im now considering Westone 4r, se535 and the ue900. Can anyone suggest me some iem based on my requirements? (~$400) Thanks :)

Sep 19, 2013 at 5:06 AM Post #4 of 31
I havent heard any of the IEM's you've listed, but i own the Heir 4.ai's and at bang on $400 i think they're pretty damn competitive with the westones and shures. There's a fair few comparison's between IEM's at this price, this would propbably be the next logical step, http://www.head-fi.org/t/646829/westone-4r-or-heir-audio-4ai

The 4.ai isnt particularly bass heavy, so for r&b they possibly arnt the best option, but for the limited country and pop i listen to they sound good. Having not heard any of the others though and having no comparison to base impressions of the Heir's off, i cant help too much, though somebody who has might find this thread eventually. :wink:
Good luck

Sep 19, 2013 at 5:34 AM Post #5 of 31
I havent heard any of the IEM's you've listed, but i own the Heir 4.ai's and at bang on $400 i think they're pretty damn competitive with the westones and shures. There's a fair few comparison's between IEM's at this price, this would propbably be the next logical step, http://www.head-fi.org/t/646829/westone-4r-or-heir-audio-4ai

The 4.ai isnt particularly bass heavy, so for r&b they possibly arnt the best option, but for the limited country and pop i listen to they sound good. Having not heard any of the others though and having no comparison to base impressions of the Heir's off, i cant help too much, though somebody who has might find this thread eventually. :wink:

Good luck

Wow, thank you for your prompt reply ^_^ Ive seen this iem from the post "pics of your portable gear" sth like that, ive seen reviewers said them bass light, i do really want a non-bass light iem, got more suggestions for universal iems? I appreciate your work, thanks =]

Sep 19, 2013 at 7:06 AM Post #6 of 31
From the earphones I have heard, I would recommend westone 4`s or audio technica ck100`s (if you can get a good price). The Westone 4`s are dark, relatively smooth, and fairly neutral, the bass has much more presence than etymotic er4`s, the mids are great but not as lush as they could be and the highs extend well without excessive rolloff, the audio technica`s have very forward, detailed mids and thus great vocals, the highs are sparkly and carry a great amount of energy, the bass is not as present as the westone 4`s but is a tad quicker with less decay, soundstage on both are great but the audio tehcnica`s seem to have better seperation perhaps due to their airy highs. Both are great earphones, but based on you preferences, the audio technica`s seem preferable.

Sep 19, 2013 at 8:00 AM Post #7 of 31
From the earphones I have heard, I would recommend westone 4`s or audio technica ck100`s (if you can get a good price). The Westone 4`s are dark, relatively smooth, and fairly neutral, the bass has much more presence than etymotic er4`s, the mids are great but not as lush as they could be and the highs extend well without excessive rolloff, the audio technica`s have very forward, detailed mids and thus great vocals, the highs are sparkly and carry a great amount of energy, the bass is not as present as the westone 4`s but is a tad quicker with less decay, soundstage on both are great but the audio tehcnica`s seem to have better seperation perhaps due to their airy highs. Both are great earphones, but based on you preferences, the audio technica`s seem preferable.

Thank you, the ck100 seems great :) I will add this to my list when considering. Hope that I can give them a listen :D

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #9 of 31
The 4R's should be great, but I've only used the 4 but they should be identical save the detachable cable. I did find the UM3X to be more to my liking. They are in the same price range typically, and I prefer the UM3x's mids, the bass is also a bit heavier than the 4 but it's quite enjoyable. I do think the W4s are more versatile, as the UM3x isn't a jack of all trades but is excellent with rock, acoustic, and some electronic. 

Also, the UM3x are incredibly efficient and can sound fantastic even off of a mediocre source like android phone, iphone etc... 

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #10 of 31
have you considered Final Audio Design ...either the Heaven V or VI...

very smooth high end and spacious sound that does include bass ....

sound very good through my Sony A864 too!

I've heard that they have amazing mids too! However I knew they are single driver iems that may sound thin, is that true? Anyway, thanks for you reply :D

Sep 19, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #12 of 31
The 4R's should be great, but I've only used the 4 but they should be identical save the detachable cable. I did find the UM3X to be more to my liking. They are in the same price range typically, and I prefer the UM3x's mids, the bass is also a bit heavier than the 4 but it's quite enjoyable. I do think the W4s are more versatile, as the UM3x isn't a jack of all trades but is excellent with rock, acoustic, and some electronic. 

Also, the UM3x are incredibly efficient and can sound fantastic even off of a mediocre source like android phone, iphone etc... 

Is the um3x sounding muffled to you? Ive heard um1 and it sounded muffled to me and i dont have great impressions with them. Im not sure whether that sound signature will be the similar with the same product line. If it is not, I will consider it for sure :p Sorry for being bias and thanks :p

Sep 19, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #13 of 31
UMx series typically has a signature for stage monitors, whereas the w series leans towards a more home listening experience. I don't think the UM1 is a good place to base assumptions on the UMx series considering it's a single BA compared to the three way crossover of the UM3x, but either of the westones are great, and I prefer them over the others mentioned in this thread. I also find westone as a company to be extremely satisfying with prompt responses to requests, and an excellent RMA process, but you shouldn't have to use it since their products are made to last.

Sep 19, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #14 of 31
i wouldn't say they are thin sounding...i find vocals are rich and clear with the sony dap...

if i compare them to my denon d5000s (which are thick and of course, bassy)...they might be thought of as thin but not by a large margin....

the heaven V are quite a bit more spacious sounding though...it does make me curious about their other iems going up the food chain...

for the most part, there seems to be quite a loyalty for most owners

Users who are viewing this thread

Back