$350CAD HERUS: Asynchronous USB Audio 2.0, 24bit 352.8Ks/S, DXD and DSD64/128, 2.4VRMS Headphone DAC
Jun 26, 2014 at 7:59 AM Post #241 of 326

Herus does a good job with the K702, though it won't help that headphone for people who don't like the presentation. Sounds like you do so it should be a good match. Tons of detail. I don't really find any particular disadvantage to the Herus in a home situation, other than requiring an adapter cable if I want to connect an external DAC. I can't really think of a $350 unit that I'd rather use.

Thanks for your reply. Now I think I am ready to advance with the purchase :) .. finally!

Jun 26, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #242 of 326
  My Dell Inspiron 17R SE has a 4600U and it works fine. I doubt it's a Haswell thing but rather a USB port issue.... I've had various problems with accessories on USB 3.0 ports. Seems they aren't always as backward compatible as they should be. I even had a Toshiba where one USB 3.0 port worked with all my DACs and the next one (also 3.0) did not. Weird.

Thanks for the response, did u try the herus on ur Inspiron usb 3.0 port? I have a workaround though, herus works when I connect it to usb2.0 hub which in turn is connected to the e7440 usb3.0 port.

Jul 4, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #244 of 326
Just tried out the Herus at the store with my HTC one M8 using bubbleupnp app streaming from a bubbleupnp server and minimserver. Two key problems. I can not control the volume on the M8 - the volume is either full or off. The other issue is I can not stream dsf files, the highest resolution being 24/192, this problem might not be due to the Herus though.

Any thought would be great thanks!

Jul 5, 2014 at 7:12 AM Post #245 of 326
Just tried out the Herus at the store with my HTC one M8 using bubbleupnp app streaming from a bubbleupnp server and minimserver. Two key problems. I can not control the volume on the M8 - the volume is either full or off. The other issue is I can not stream dsf files, the highest resolution being 24/192, this problem might not be due to the Herus though.

Any thought would be great thanks!

1) Volume, sorry. Don't know. Never worked off my Samsung Galaxy J SC-02F
2) DSF, that's an issue with the HTC I'd guess. There is a player UAPP (USB Audio Player Pro) whose latest version does support DSD supposedly. AFAIK, the first Android player to support DoP.

Jul 5, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #246 of 326
I had the volume issue as well with some phone I tried (I forget the particular model). I also once had a similar problem with a Linux based music streamer when using the Concero HP. Seems like a similar deal - the system can "see" the device and send audio in that direction, but it's almost like a driver issue where volume adjustments aren't properly communicating to the device. 

Not sure there's anything we could do about it. Android's digital audio support (or lack of it) really bugs me. 

Jul 5, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #248 of 326
  I had the volume issue as well with some phone I tried (I forget the particular model). I also once had a similar problem with a Linux based music streamer when using the Concero HP. Seems like a similar deal - the system can "see" the device and send audio in that direction, but it's almost like a driver issue where volume adjustments aren't properly communicating to the device. 

Not sure there's anything we could do about it. Android's digital audio support (or lack of it) really bugs me. 

With the LG G2 Android phone, the volume control on both the stock LG music player app and UAPP worked fine with the Herus.

At the time of that testing there was no DSD support in UAPP, so that feature was never tested.

24/192 .flac files played fine as did lower sample rates, unclear if those were being downsampled in the LG player app as there is no specific indication in the UI, however in UAPP it was clearly playing back natively at up to 24/192kHz.

Jul 5, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #249 of 326

With the LG G2 Android phone, the volume control on both the stock LG music player app and UAPP worked fine with the Herus.

At the time of that testing there was no DSD support in UAPP, so that feature was never tested.

24/192 .flac files played fine as did lower sample rates, unclear if those were being downsampled in the LG player app as there is no specific indication in the UI, however in UAPP it was clearly playing back natively at up to 24/192kHz.

UAPP supported DSD only in v1.1.9 which was released last week.

Jul 5, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #250 of 326
On HTC One X, and Xperia V, volume control on the herus works fine for n7 player, deadbeef, jetplayer (FLAC ), have not tried DSD on Android.

However with  Win7 and foobar2000 ,  volume control for dsd does not work on herus (no issues with flac though).

Jul 14, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #252 of 326
I don't know if any of you guys believe in burn-in. It may be burn-in of the Herus or of my ears.
Either way I've had the Herus for about 3 weeks now and at first I found the highs to be quite forward and peaky.
Now the device seems much smoother in it's overall delivery of sound and I'm very pleased with the presentation.
Sorry if my description is too basic, I don't personally prescribe to having the best ears and my eloquence with words is even worse.
Either way I'd be interested to hear from others if they've noticed similar benefits to burning the Herus in.

Jul 15, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #253 of 326

Picture of my setup with iPhone 5 and Westone UM 30 Pro's. 1/4 inch to 3.5mm adapter is from what was included in the Yuin PK3 packaging.

Aug 12, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #255 of 326
  How does the UM PRO 30 sound out of the Herus, neco? Any hiss?

Yes there is some hiss with the UM Pro 30, I've mostly been listening to EDM lately so it's not a bother once the music is going.
For music with longer and more frequent quiet passages though it might be a bother. If you have the chance it's best to audition them before committing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back