300$ Headphones - what to buy?
Dec 18, 2012 at 6:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Jachol

New Head-Fier
Hello.
I'm looking for headphones in the 250$ - 300$ budget.

Unfortunately I'm pretty lost and don't know which way to go.
As an iem i've been using shure se215 which i liked a lot and now i have sennheiser IE8.
Both of these are bass heavier earphones. I like the sound signature very much and would like something similar as an over-ear headphone.

The headphones will be used unamped, plugged into my pc, ipod or sansa fuze. They must be very comfortable as I'll be using them also for gaming (which can be all day of headphones usage). I've listened to headphones such as akg k701 and the bass is just non-existant there to me. I listen to all kinds of music, from classical, jazz to rock, metal or dubstep. I hate neutral sounding headphones as i find them simply boring. Though by no means do I want a muffled, bassy sound. I like the lows to be pretty massive when listening to dubstep, but deep and balanced, not punchy. But that shouldn't have any impact on loss of clarity or detail. I like warm, precise sound.

Problem is I have no place to test any of the headphones, also I'm not from the states so I can't benefit from any of the deals either.
I've been looking at sennheiser 598 (sexy) and 600 (can get them at good price used). I know I'll be happy with the mids and highs but I'm afraid for the lows... Also looked at the beyerdynamic COP and shure srh840/940.

Don't get me wrong. I don't want a bassy headphone, but one which has a wide soundstage with detailed, warm sound and deep, present lows.

Any suggestions?

Dec 18, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #2 of 4
Ultrasone PRO 900 or Beyerdynamic DT770.

Dec 18, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
Heya,

Beyer Custom One Pro
AudioTechnica A900X
Mr Speaker Mad Dogs
AKG K167

Very best,

I was gonna say Maddogs...just a great hp. But since you have no amp, I wouldn't go that direction. I'll say plus one on the Beyers above. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back