$250 Budget - Headphones (not in-ear) with Mic (mic would be for iPhone use)
Oct 13, 2010 at 4:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Jago-ViG

New Head-Fier
Hi,

Just wanted to ask if anyone had any good recommendations for good headphones that included a mic.

I don't care about noise cancellation but want some over/on the ear headphones with a mic for when I use them with the iPhone.

I've looked at some Audio-Technica, V-Moda, Sennheiser, Grado and some others but it's tough to see which have a mic (Without having to add an additional cable). From everything on here Bose and Beats don't sound particularly appealing!

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks.

ViG

Oct 13, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #2 of 8
what are you going to use them for besides your iphone?
any other preferences?
do you have an amp?
recommended: dt880s, k701s, d2000s, or a pair of hd 600s.
the latter and k701s go 300-500 new but you can get a used pair in your price range.

Oct 13, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #3 of 8
You should look at the gaming oriented headphones if you want a mic.

I wouldnt recommend headphones with a mic for iphone use because IMO you would look a bit silly with a gaming headset talking through the mic walking down the street or something

Oct 13, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #4 of 8
Yeh I don't want like a mic that sticks out but rather one that is on the wire like with iphone mics.

Sil3ence - thanks, I'll take a look at those. Do they have a built in mic on the wire they come with? The DT880 does not seem to come with one. Or is that what the "S" is at the end...?

No amp and no other preferences other than a solid pair of headphones in that price range. Anything else that would help you narrow it down, let me know. I was thinking most would not have the mic as standard and that would narrow it down.

iPhone and home use only. 

Oct 13, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:
what are you going to use them for besides your iphone?
any other preferences?
do you have an amp?
recommended: dt880s, k701s, d2000s, or a pair of hd 600s.
the latter and k701s go 300-500 new but you can get a used pair in your price range.

Wut? He says he wants headphones with a mic to use out of his iPhone, so you recommend four pairs that are driven very badly by an iPhone with no mics. Also three of those are open and none of them exactly portable, so not so good for use out and about.

To the OP - you'll be hard-pressed to find a decent headset that you won't feel like a prat wearing in public. Sennheiser have a number of pretty decent gaming headsets, but since it's for iPhone usage you won't be able to use the mic (separate plug). The standard iPhone earbuds work by having an extra ring on their jack which is used for the mic signal and as far as I know no full-size headsets have this yet, though there may be adapters.

Really if you want a mic for an iPhone you're going to have to get IEMs (in ear phones) since many of those are available with mics now that use the same jack setup as the white iBuds.

Oct 13, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #7 of 8
that's why i was asking him what else he was going to use them with...

Oct 15, 2010 at 4:12 AM Post #8 of 8
you could try some of the "headset" models, like the Beyerdynamic DT109 (around $413), or AKG's "HSC" series (eg HSC271).

The AKG headsets are mega expensive, the Beyer's seem a little more reasonable, but look a bit dorky for Mr. Iphone ;D

http://www.akg.com/mediendatenbank2/psfile/datei/35/headsets_f431449a0b579d.pdf

Basically for the AKG's yore paying double the basic headphone for the headset, and with the Beyer's its harder to tell how much extra you pay.

But yeah, if you want a good headphone with a mic on it, those are some options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back