2359glenn | studio
May 1, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #2,776 of 39,986
Stavros is a regular tube bloodhound. 

I cannot help but think that, amongst the thousands of tube types made, there has to be something out there nobody has really tried out for audio use that has good curves/specs and is still really cheap.  Tube rolling the 3DG4 was a genuine delight at $1 per tube.  Truly guilt free rolling there, and such a thing could be a really strong selling point for an amp design.  You can experiment if that is your thing and not have to spend a fortune on the same tubes everybody is driving the prices up on all day long.

May 1, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #2,778 of 39,986
This means you'll return inspired to try new/different tubes for upcoming builds. 
size]

May 2, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #2,780 of 39,986
It's a shame they didn't have enough gain to work as the only driver gain stage.  I'm sure they're amazing lit up.  Hopefully the C3g is a worth substitute. 

I was pretty worried about availability on the #10 too so I'm sure it all has worked out for the best.

May 2, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #2,781 of 39,986
Quote:
Are these copys of the WE310A&b ans WE311A&B ?

These are made by Philips, Valvo made 328A's I have a pair with gold pins and the Wermacht insignia made in 1944.

The 310 & 328 have the same specs but the 310's run at 10V and the 328's at 7.5V
The 311 has a different base from 310 and 328
A is the standard version and B the low hum one.

Quote:
Stavros is a regular tube bloodhound. 

I cannot help but think that, amongst the thousands of tube types made, there has to be something out there nobody has really tried out for audio use that has good curves/specs and is still really cheap.  Tube rolling the 3DG4 was a genuine delight at $1 per tube.  Truly guilt free rolling there, and such a thing could be a really strong selling point for an amp design.  You can experiment if that is your thing and not have to spend a fortune on the same tubes everybody is driving the prices up on all day long.

Thanks for the kind words.
But I can't take any credit for any of the tubes I mention.
They are tubes I own which my amps use, the full credit goes to the designers/ makers like Glenn and all the tube addicts.

I just mention some from time to time to inspire people.
The tube addiction is too strong.

The ultimate goal for me is to have amps which sound good and run on cheap tubes.
Glenn's OTL is that and more as it's made with love, he loves this hobby not the money.

May 2, 2013 at 6:46 AM Post #2,782 of 39,986
Look what my crazy good friend Clayton sent me as a gift:

Acturus 5Y3

Rca 5U4GB

GE 5R4GYA

Brimar 5Z4G CV1863 with the bullet hole plates

United Electronics USAF 596

Rocket dust blower

I'm speachless. I'm so happy and Glenn's amp is in for a treat! Best gift ever. Why can't my local friends buy me gifts like these I get all excited about?
Clayton, big thanks. Can't say it enough, you're the best and you can expect a thank you gift for sure.

Can't wait now for Glenn to finish my amp
smile.gif

May 2, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #2,783 of 39,986
That's a great collection!

Enjoy them.

May 2, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #2,784 of 39,986
What a wonderful surprise!! I love the rocket...
biggrin.gif

Thumbs up Clayton!

Do you need an adapter for your 596? I have two of them from Glenn and they are perfect. I know you have been waiting for that tube.

May 2, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #2,786 of 39,986
Quote:
I will be needing one indeed. I asked Glenn if he could make me one. :)

Glenn turned them around quickly for me. I think you have enough to keep you occupied until it arrives...
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back