2359glenn | studio
Apr 4, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #36,061 of 39,986
Apr 4, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #36,062 of 39,986
Apr 4, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #36,064 of 39,986
I have been wondering how he is fairing, too...

I heard from Glenn on Wednesday. He said he’s been busier than ever having to work nonstop and was also going to work on an amp this weekend... Hope he gets a break soon and gets some quality listening time at home! Stay safe out there folks.

Apr 4, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #36,065 of 39,986
Tonight's Glow:

12J5-1.jpeg

12J5-2.jpeg

The "Western" (RCA) 12J5's that I obtained NOS for $4 ea from Glenn's bud over at ESRC:
http://www.esrcvacuumtubes.com/vacuumtubes_tubelist_tubes_12A-12Z5.html

I removed the quad of 6080's that I had in for months and put in my pair of Tung-Sol 5998's.
Was trying out the driver triplet of 6N7/6J5's when I went for the 5998's, but way too much gain using the 5998's.
Tried several drivers with the 6J7's in the C3g positions, but all were not right. Removed the 6J7's now the gain is better, and these RCA 12J5 (branded "Western") are absolutely superb with the 5998's.

Will compare the RCA 12J5's with metal RCA 6J5's later this evening. But for now, enjoying this tube compliment and via the magic of Steve Tibbets' music.

Cheers all...

Be safe and healthy! Help make the Virus GO AWAY!

:)

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2020 at 10:15 PM Post #36,066 of 39,986

Apr 4, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #36,068 of 39,986

I've been listening to a live stream from a London nightclub all afternoon. Lot's of people participating in the chat room and also on a Zoom video feed. Everyone partying/drinking in their living rooms!

Apr 5, 2020 at 3:23 AM Post #36,069 of 39,986
I've been listening to a live stream from a London nightclub all afternoon. Lot's of people participating in the chat room and also on a Zoom video feed. Everyone partying/drinking in their living rooms!

You guys (@Karnicopia & @leftside) inspired a fun detour looking for sets from London clubs. This is close (via Fabric) and I've been am sat here enjoying it now:

I also think this morning's combo (seeking EL32 partners) is doing all the right things. I quite like these GECs, but I think stand-alone (no EL32s) I might prefer the 10 quid metal GE 6C5s! Together with the EL32s, I think I strongly prefer the GECs.

(EDIT after a few more hours. I don't think my amp has ever sounded this good. Loving this setup.)

20200405_080314 (1).jpg

(I really need to dust and JV is photo-shaming the rest of us with his skills)

@2359glenn - we all hope you are well! In a few days, I'll have had my amp for 6 months. It has become such a part of my everyday life and it is hard to believe it has only been such a short time. Thanks for making beautiful amps for us all.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2020 at 3:58 AM Post #36,070 of 39,986
Anyone heard from Glenn recently? Just hoping his is doing ok.
I heard from him on Wednesday.... little chat on some toob stuff... he still has to go to work despite the NC is under lock down......

Apr 5, 2020 at 8:19 AM Post #36,071 of 39,986
You guys (@Karnicopia & @leftside) inspired a fun detour looking for sets from London clubs. This is close (via Fabric) and I've been am sat here enjoying it now:

I also think this morning's combo (seeking EL32 partners) is doing all the right things. I quite like these GECs, but I think stand-alone (no EL32s) I might prefer the 10 quid metal GE 6C5s! Together with the EL32s, I think I strongly prefer the GECs.

(EDIT after a few more hours. I don't think my amp has ever sounded this good. Loving this setup.)

20200405_080314 (1).jpg

@2359glenn - we all hope you are well! In a few days, I'll have had my amp for 6 months. It has become such a part of my everyday life and it is hard to believe it has only been such a short time. Thanks for making beautiful amps for us all.

I am still well.
After working 7 days for weeks they are closing down permanently. After possibly exposing us to this lay us off so we have no insurance.
Could say allot of things that I can't post here.
Did find new Jobs for more money but 3hrs away. have to find a new house not so easy now with many real estate company's closed.
Don't want to move but no choice. To much junk to move will have to through out 100s of tubes most TV tubes.

Apr 5, 2020 at 8:24 AM Post #36,072 of 39,986
Not the best time for you to experience this Glenn. I wish you all the best.

Apr 5, 2020 at 8:53 AM Post #36,073 of 39,986

Hello Chrisdrop...

I had to take off the HP and go get a hand towel...to wipe off the drool from looking at your beautiful GEC's!! Wow! Are they designated L63's Or 6J5's?

Last night, I was EL32-less and compared the RCA 12J5GT's to Ken Rad metal 6C5's with 5998 powers. Both driver sets are beautiful but I preferred the overall presentation of the RCA 12J5's. A little clearer/more personal w/details in the mids and velvet gloved, smooth and even highs.

After this post, I decided to do an intense study of adding the EL32's to the RCA 12J5/5998's...what really happens?

I chose the song: "My Rival" from the Steely Dan album "Gaucho" as my test song. I am very familiar with this song, every single note and every teensy tiny detail in this tune, which was widely acknowledged to have had a lot of studio engineering preformed to make it unrivaled (pun intended) in recording quality.

1st up is RCA 12J5/TS 5998 - and it's beautiful - hard to imagine it sounding better.
then
RCA 12J5 / Mullard EL32 / TS 5998 - there is added thickness to the whole recording. A "reverb", a presence, if you will. Much deeper soundstage. Detail retrieval went off the charts. The harmony singing parts become much more palatable. Tiny details are clarified, fully explained and made important. It is rather like turning the resolution of the recording way way up. I think the EL32's make a gigantic difference for the much better.

That is....if you like a thick rich deep and involving soundstage, immense detail retrieval, human voices that sound absolutely real, like your in the room at the moments when the recording was made....and off the charts detail retrieval....

IMG_2959-2.JPG

Give a whirl, Chrisdrop...take a superb driver set and a recording you know well and love, and carefully compare, with and without the magical EL32's.

Everyone....please stay safe and well...!!

Cheers!

~JV~

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2020 at 8:56 AM Post #36,074 of 39,986
I am still well.
After working 7 days for weeks they are closing down permanently. After possibly exposing us to this lay us off so we have no insurance.
Did find new Jobs for more money but 3hrs away. have to find a new house not so easy now with many real estate company's closed.
Don't want to move but no choice. To much junk to move will have to through out 100s of tubes most TV tubes.

WOW! Glenn!! Sorry to hear this!

Goodness man, you have many here, who wish you well, I think I speak for all in saying: let us know if we can help you, in some way!

Apr 5, 2020 at 9:01 AM Post #36,075 of 39,986
I am still well.
That truly sucks, the bastards! So sorry you are going through such a bad deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Aleh
Back