2359glenn | studio
Apr 6, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #36,091 of 39,983
Apr 6, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #36,094 of 39,983
@2359glenn I hope that you are well. I have just made my first ever account on head-fi only to send you message (PM was the first thing that I did after making the account) to get the Glen OTL Amp. I have recently heard great things about your amp and I was wondering whether you can build one for me. I want to use it with my HD800s and I am planning to buy ZMF Verite in the future. So I will be using the amp with these two headphones and probably with my Hifiman Arya as well. I am a total noob when it comes down to tube amps but I know my sound preference that I want out of my HD800s. I want big sound stage, layering, imaging and more warmer and fuller sound (which is currently missing) our of my HD800s. Looking forward to hear from you.

Apr 6, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #36,095 of 39,983
Hi guys, I think I've mentioned this before, but myself as well as basically everybody who has tried the straight vs. curved / small bottle shaped EL32 agrees that the curved ST ones are the best. They generally sound more organic, lifelike and with perhaps better soundstage, however the Mullard & Marconi straight versions do seem to actually have an edge when it turns when it comes to PRaT with their handling of rhythmic music, so just a heads up if you want to keep an eye out for any of those which are the true original gems of the EL32 type. YMMV with a Glenn amp though.

One good way to find them is to sign up for an alert once they become available from HiFishark.com

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #36,096 of 39,983
@2359glenn I hope that you are well. I have just made my first ever account on head-fi only to send you message (PM was the first thing that I did after making the account) to get the Glen OTL Amp. I have recently heard great things about your amp and I was wondering whether you can build one for me. I want to use it with my HD800s and I am planning to buy ZMF Verite in the future. So I will be using the amp with these two headphones and probably with my Hifiman Arya as well. I am a total noob when it comes down to tube amps but I know my sound preference that I want out of my HD800s. I want big sound stage, layering, imaging and more warmer and fuller sound (which is currently missing) our of my HD800s. Looking forward to hear from you.

Sent you a PM.
I have the same headphones but mostly use the Verite now.

Apr 6, 2020 at 9:36 PM Post #36,098 of 39,983
Hi guys, I think I've mentioned this before, but myself as well as basically everybody who has tried the straight vs. curved / small bottle shaped EL32 agrees that the curved ST ones are the best. They generally sound more organic, lifelike and with perhaps better soundstage, however the Mullard & Marconi straight versions do seem to actually have an edge when it turns when it comes to PRaT with their handling of rhythmic music, so just a heads up if you want to keep an eye out for any of those which are the true original gems of the EL32 type. YMMV with a Glenn amp though.

One good way to find them is to sign up for an alert once they become available from HiFishark.com
If you are interested in the straight glass Mullard EL32 they are available from Langrex (yitry) on eBay for less than $5 each.
The sharks are charging $249 for a quad of ST shape Mullard EL32.

Apr 6, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #36,099 of 39,983
If you are interested in the straight glass Mullard EL32 they are available from Langrex (yitry) on eBay for less than $5 each.
The sharks are charging $249 for a quad of ST shape Mullard EL32.

I also know some folks who said the curved glass EL32's had noises the straight glass ones didn't and had problems with microphonics (also not present in the straight glass ones).

Also have a feeling that the Glenn doing a 'driver triplet' using EL32's is probably sounds VaStLy different than any other amp depending on EL32 as the only drivers....?

I paid almost double your price, @mordy at $9.00 ea :xf_cool:

Apr 6, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #36,100 of 39,983
I also know some folks who said the curved glass EL32's had noises the straight glass ones didn't and had problems with microphonics (also not present in the straight glass ones).

Also have a feeling that the Glenn doing a 'driver triplet' using EL32's is probably sounds VaStLy different than any other amp depending on EL32 as the only drivers....?

I paid almost double your price, @mordy at $9.00 ea :xf_cool:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/EL32-CV105...224426?hash=item3cb6d18dea:g:JFQAAOSw7Kldep3F
Probably you included the shipping that I omitted in the quote....

Apr 6, 2020 at 10:16 PM Post #36,102 of 39,983
We all have different taste - just listened to five versions of Los Blues Del Burrico; all from 1926.

Anyhow, all in the interest of science lol - checking out JV's combo of 12J5/EL32/5998.
Yesterday I thought the sound was was too thick in the lower mid range, but today I don't have that impression. The RCA 12J5 tubes are new, whereas the Mullard EL32 and the Tung Sol 5998 are burned in - maybe the RCAs are changing, which may may account for my differing impression. Or maybe I am just getting used to the sound.
But there is a mid range quality that I can only describe as "over ripe" if that makes sense.
Work in progress, and very enjoyable. Not ready yet to come out with a verdict of how this combo sounds...
Have fun!

Apr 6, 2020 at 10:46 PM Post #36,103 of 39,983
Thanks to the recommendations on here I tried out the red metal 5693 tube tonight. It's a great sounding tube. If I had to describe the sound signature, I'd describe it as somewhere between a 6J5 and a C3g. Definitely a worthy addition to my amp.

Anyone used the TungSol double header of TS 5998 + TS metal base 6J5 (or BGRP 6SN7) in the GOTL? That's certainly a pairing to rock out to in my amp! I think I slightly prefer the ladder plate metal base TS 6J5 over the metal base rounded plates, but more listening required.

I've had no noises with the curved/coke bottle EL32 I bought from Martin Billington in the C3g sockets with adapters. I'll have to dig those out again...

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2020 at 11:02 PM Post #36,104 of 39,983

I have some Philips Miniwatt curved bottle EL32's and they are both noisy and microphonic. Don't breathe too close to them or you'll hear noise, and forget about changing the volume on the GOTL (stepped attenuator) while they are in, that's painful to listen to. @JazzVinyl sent me a pair of the Mullard EL32's from Langrex and they are way better. Thanks again JV, you're awesome.

IMG_2704.JPG

Apr 6, 2020 at 11:30 PM Post #36,105 of 39,983
I have some Philips Miniwatt curved bottle EL32's and they are both noisy and microphonic. Don't breathe too close to them or you'll hear noise, and forget about changing the volume on the GOTL (stepped attenuator) while they are in, that's painful to listen to. @JazzVinyl sent me a pair of the Mullard EL32's from Langrex and they are way better. Thanks again JV, you're awesome.

IMG_2704.JPG

Your welcome Greg! I love the look of the curved glass Philips miniwatt EL32 and placed an order for 2x from a UK seller. (not Billings or Langrex).

And what do you think arrived at my door sometime later? 2x Mullard straight bottle EL32 that sell for a fraction of the curved bottle EL32's! I emailed the seller (she has a web site) but she never replied or acknowledged the switch. They are indeed the pair I sent you, @GDuss!!

But after hearing about your problems with the Philips....guess it all worked out.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back