2359glenn | studio
Mar 29, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #35,956 of 39,986
And to make things worse, the state
I’m currently living in reported zero cases for the past few days, just because they ran out of reagents to test for covid19, so we cant do the analyses of patients movements where and when they contracted the virus, and our quarantine facilities are below par. damn.

Mar 29, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #35,957 of 39,986
Congrats to the new amp!
I am sure that you will have questions on using the amp and the very friendly and extremely knowledgeable members on this forum will be able to help you out.
I am using my GOTL mainly as a preamp for speakers (and headphones as well) and I have derived countless hours of pleasure listening to this great and versatile amp!
Thanks! I didn't even think of using it with my speakers that's a really interesting idea and that was what really drew me to these was how versatile they are. I definitely will need some help so I really appreciate it, I'm just reading up as much as I can before it comes in. There's definitely a lot to learn but I'm really excited!

I think you will be very happy with it, and it pairs well with the Verite Open :) I will have to do my goodbye listening tomorrow.

Thanks, I knew I wanted to get a nice tube amp for them but didn't think I'd be able to get one of these so I'm really excited. Hope you enjoy the listening and thanks for posting another picture!

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #35,958 of 39,986
Thanks! I didn't even think of using it with my speakers that's a really interesting idea and that was what really drew me to these was how versatile they are. I definitely will need some help so I really appreciate it, I'm just reading up as much as I can before it comes in. There's definitely a lot to learn but I'm really excited!

Any questions you have will be answered. Most people on this thread are friendly and helpful.
You will enjoy this amp with the Verite open. That is what I have.

Mar 29, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #35,959 of 39,986
Any questions you have will be answered. Most people on this thread are friendly and helpful.
Thanks I'm glad to hear it and I really love that headphone it's become one of my favorite parts of the day is relaxing and listening to them and have wanted to pair it with a tube amp but have been more focused on everything else. Thanks for building these I was really drawn to how versatile they are but you can also tell from the internal pictures that it's built by someone that really cares about the hobby which is also I think part of what drew me to ZMF too. It may be a while until I start getting more tubes but do you have any suggestions that work well with your Verite open?

Mar 29, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #35,960 of 39,986
Totally agree with Glenn.
Also, as a reference - use the table I have created (link in my signature). Shows all the tubes that can be used... including warning on max # (for example no more than 2 x 6336 tubes despite having 6 sockets...).

Mar 29, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #35,962 of 39,986
Hi Phantaminum,
I thought that you already had found the amp you can live with forever....

Well...when you’re an audiophile, the search is never over. :)

I sold the Apex Teton. It’s a fantastic OTL and the build is to die for but there are always trade-offs. I have another amp that’s currently being built which I’m hoping will shore those up.

Mar 29, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #35,963 of 39,986
If you decide to build I will help you. My output circuit is not the norm but sounds good better them most OTLs.
Laying out the chassis is the hardest part.
Or just have me build it.

Awesome Glenn! I’m always willing to learn and I’ve always loved your design. I’ll take you up on either offer soon. :)

Mar 29, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #35,964 of 39,986
Totally agree with Glenn.
Also, as a reference - use the table I have created (link in my signature). Shows all the tubes that can be used... including warning on max # (for example no more than 2 x 6336 tubes despite having 6 sockets...).
Zachik, I downloaded your spreadsheet awhile ago, to start to educate myself while I'm waiting on Glenn's list, and it really has some great information. The second tab has some very helpful notes as well. Thanks so much for taking the time to create it and share here.

Recently on a different thread, someone had a question about power supplies with the Glenn OTL, so I just recommended he read that section on your sheet :)

Mar 29, 2020 at 7:37 PM Post #35,965 of 39,986
Mar 29, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #35,966 of 39,986
Zachik, I downloaded your spreadsheet awhile ago, to start to educate myself while I'm waiting on Glenn's list, and it really has some great information. The second tab has some very helpful notes as well. Thanks so much for taking the time to create it and share here.

Recently on a different thread, someone had a question about power supplies with the Glenn OTL, so I just recommended he read that section on your sheet :)
I am truly glad I could help!
This community is absolutely great - I had a lot of questions when I started my tube journey, and got a lot of very useful responses from the great folks on this thread as well as on other Head-Fi threads.
I am always happy when I can contribute back to the community, and especially help new-comers :)

Mar 29, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #35,967 of 39,986
I think I might get a pair. Did you wind up getting any? The adapters and the tubes may take a while to arrive, but what the heck.

Hello Chrisdrop...

I did not order the metal Visseaux 6J7's yet.

Because.....I have been so incredibly happy with the metal Ken Rad 6J7's and Visseaux 6N7 (GT and G versions, both superb) and Quad of 6080's that I forget all about tube rolling and just marvel at how fantastic the GOTL sounds with these tubes!!!

But if you get them. I will be interested to hear what you think!

Also...my China connection for adapters has not had anything for sale for months:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/xulingmrs/

I sure hope she is okay in the face of this crazy pandemic!!

Mar 29, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #35,968 of 39,986
Finally hooked up my BOTW SBooster power supply and SOTM Ultra Neo that I picked up on the local used market a while ago. Was waiting for the Neo to be adjusted to accept the 12v power supply. It's really good. Easy to setup with Roon. Nice to browse/do work from my laptop and not have the music occasionally stutter.

Sound quality? Well I did a few tests of the Ultra Neo as transport vs my laptop as transport, and darn it I do prefer the Ultra Neo. The thing I notice the most is a slightly improved imaging.

The Ultra Neo is connected wirelessly to my router and Roon Core, and I don't notice any difference between wireless vs ethernet. Wireless connection from the router is 5GHz upto 1300 Mbps.

Posting on here as I know a few have been interested in this device.

Mar 29, 2020 at 9:45 PM Post #35,969 of 39,986
I lost my Choo Choo today. Please take some time out to give your friend a hug and a kiss. Theyre gone way too soon.
They say heaven is full of dogs,and if its not true,I have no interest in going.

1094459_10152374064365288_1373470238_o (1).jpg

Mar 29, 2020 at 9:45 PM Post #35,970 of 39,986
If anyone here is hip to Linux....may I suggest the music player called "cmus".

It is a command line player that uses a tiny sliver of memory and is extremely versatile. And it is free software.

I have it on all my Linux laptops and Raspberry Pi computers. All the music is on a hard drive connected to the router. Have a Raspberry Pi that runs "headless" (no monitor) that accepts SSH connections. From any laptop, I can ssh into the Pi and run cmus and load a playlist *the Pi is getting the music via it's WiFi connection.. The amazing thing about cmus is that it can manage any size music library without stuttering. My digital music library is truly huge and cmus handles it with ease. It also has an almost unimaginable set of features that are ultra handy. There is no limitation to the size library it can handle. Since it is a command line app, it uses much less memory than GUI oriented players:

cmus.jpg

I highly recommend 'cmus' as your player software, if you are a Linux user.

https://cmus.github.io/

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back